Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I’m sad about Maliq. I had no idea who he was coming out of high school, but loved watching him the past two years.
But he got bullied underneath, and needs a better supporting cast…
… for the whole team to win.
We were 17-15 and 20*-12, with zero NCAAT games.
We got blown out regularly like I’ve never seen before.
But this is a shot across the bow at Red. Maybe so was Jesse, and look how that worked for him at WVU.
If we can’t retain or build 1-2 year teams - which is the new world - then we’re in major trouble.
Hey! There's that agenda coming out!

Hey now. I expect a new thread to be created.

CuseFaninVT. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career​

Lot of 4s there brother.
IMG_2502.jpeg

Wow this really blows, but why would they want him at C. He’s underzised and playing out of position. He isn’t able to play to his strengths at Center. What a joke.
i mean, in some matchups, he is a GREAT center - just not against the upper echelon teams/players, generally

Dasher hasn’t stepped off of Brown plays the 5 too much and he’s gone, he’s been saying that since before the end of the season.
Yeah which scares me about the potential of landing a quality portal center. With that info at hand, If brown is leaving we aren’t having any luck on the portal front for that center, but on the other hand there’s still so much portal time so why now?

Dasher hasn’t stepped off of Brown plays the 5 too much and he’s gone, he’s been saying that since before the end of the season.
I don’t need to speak for Dash, but that seemed obvious. Marek had no choice but to suck it up and play the 5 because JB couldn’t put together a roster. Brown isn’t stuck like that.

This is devastating just like the Kadary news was 3 years ago.

Good programs hang onto their key pieces.

It’s sad and depressing what this program has become. Done reading rationalizing posts on here every time we lose a good player. The last 5 years of results speak for themselves.

Red has to take this as an opportunity to rebuild the roster in his image. Sort of like Fran is doing. He needs to bring excitement back to the basketball program.

We have a spot for 2 starters with starter minutes. PG and Center. Go get the best. Red has been called a great recruiter on here multiple times. Lets get to work. If you don't have the NIL you need then get to work. Get people involved like Fran has done. Drive the program. Get in the portal and get involved publicly don't do certain things in silence be loud and proud. Look at what your football counterpart is doing and follow the blueprint.

I think most if not all NC State players who get major minutes all came from the portal. No reason it can't work.

Kobe is not the last. I don't remember Steph Curry ever requesting a trade, nor do I see Jokic ever requesting a trade. There are still a few left out there but they are few and far between
Why would you ask for trades out of perfect situations?

He is a monster in efficiency. He can run 4 on 3 with the ball after high pick and roll. He is also great in the dunker spot. His three point shot is getting better. He was one of the best passers on our team, best screener and will be great on defense again next year when he's not guarding out of position for 35mpg.

Make no mistake, this is a brutal loss. Nate Oats just gave a whole presser on efficient play and our efficient player is walking out the door.

THIS.

Brown:
a) knows how to play the game of basketball and
b) has got the requisite athleticism to do it at a high level (not at the 5, but that's another story).

How many SU basketball players in the last decade check both those boxes? Like three?

I sincerely believe that the plan going into this past season was to play Maliq situationally at the 5, for spurts of small-ball. And then stuff happened, and he was forced to play 35 min/game at the 5. I sincerely believe that Maliq was likely told that going into next year, Freeman would likely start at the 4 and that he (Maliq) would be sharing minutes at the 4 and 5. And he didn't like that. And that is understandable.

Yup.

I do hope that we are planning on getting a legit starting center in the portal... Mcleod is not a starter and Patterson needs gametime/bedding-in to see if he's even capable enough yet...

Maliq can go elsewhere on a P5 team and start at the 4 and not be relegated to bench minutes and/or fill-in time at the 5.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised in Freeman got promised starting at the 4 to seal his commitment...

We're not a good for for him to maximize his playing time at the 4 (which is likely what he wants.) I certainly don't blame him for looking elsewhere.

It is what it is.

P.S. Freeman better be worth it! (all indicators are he will be, but you never really know with freshmen until they start playing... 5-star McD's AA or not...)

That would tell you wrong then. Maybe he didn't like the circus he played with this year. Maybe right now, he thinks the grass must be greener. Plus, he doesn't wnat to play the 5.
Does this mean Judah is coming back?

I believe he was correct that all the recent fundraising efforts for NIL was all for football because of the new coach
Except the football and basketball groups that are brokering the major packages are too different entities with little crossover.

JT told GMac about Brown, a friend of JT’s since middle school. GMac recruited both JT and Brown. JT leaves, GMac leaves - now Brown is leaving. Uncertainty about his role. Relationships matter. Sad to hear he’s leaving.

Red has to take this as an opportunity to rebuild the roster in his image. Sort of like Fran is doing. He needs to bring excitement back to the basketball program.

We have a spot for 2 starters with starter minutes. PG and Center. Go get the best. Red has been called a great recruiter on here multiple times. Lets get to work. If you don't have the NIL you need then get to work. Get people involved like Fran has done. Drive the program. Get in the portal and get involved publicly don't do certain things in silence be loud and proud. Look at what your football counterpart is doing and follow the blueprint.

I think most if not all NC State players who get major minutes all came from the portal. No reason it can't work.
1000%. End of day these guys leaving have seen and won 0 post season games. Losing 1 or 2 of them hurts but let’s see what year two of Autry brings. He won 20 year one with a group of misfits.

Realistically he needs to win more next year and if he doesn’t and isn’t in the tourney the year after then he’s gone anyway.

While this sucks some, I am in the let's wait and see camp here. I bet nil is not a major issue here. Also since speculation is rampant, how about some positive spin. What if the coach Red wants to bring in has a starting bigman attached to that coach? Certainly plausible Red might be looking at options who has good player connections.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom