Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Yeah, people are out to lunch just saying Maliq was only a "good" player or overvalued. Not at all.

AND bringing in another player that could be better (hopefully he is!) doesn't change that.
I think Maliq is good. In a perfect world, we would have him, Freeman, and a starting caliber center. In today’s transfer-heavy landscape, and where we are as a program, that’s not an option right now. I think we pretty obviously will take our chances with a McDonald’s All American over Brown and beyond that, we have more need for a real center than Maliq. Now we have to get a good center and that’s no easy feat. But I think the idea of choosing a good center over Maliq is the correct move and I think choosing to transfer over coming off the bench here is the correct move for Maliq too. It’s a bummer that this is the way it went but I think the rationale is correct for both sides here.

Yea we need do win and we started to this year. Let’s state the facts though. Brown, Judah, Q, Taylor have not seen a single a post season tourney game or won even an ACCT game. I want Brown back as much as anyone but let’s see what the pieces look like replacing him
yeah, that’s browns fault so kick him to curb. Solid

I hate this so much, I know it's not about me and it is empowering the players which is a very good thing but it sucks.
There is nothing good about empowering the players. It’s going to be the end of college hoops. Bunch of kids who are not going to the NBA, ever , making a career out of playing for 3 different college teams. Just because there was money in college hoops does not mean these half assed college age kids are entitled to some of it.

There is nothing good about empowering the players. It’s going to be the end of college hoops. Bunch of kids who are not going to the NBA, ever , making a career out of playing for 3 different college teams. Just because there was money in college hoops does not mean these half assed college age kids are entitled to some of it.
All timer, horrible post

*who* is entitled to the money

I think Maliq is good. In a perfect world, we would have him, Freeman, and a starting caliber center. In today’s transfer-heavy landscape, and where we are as a program, that’s not an option right now. I think we pretty obviously will take our chances with a McDonald’s All American over Brown and beyond that, we have more need for a real center than Maliq. Now we have to get a good center and that’s no easy feat. But I think the idea of choosing a good center over Maliq is the correct move and I think choosing to transfer over coming off the bench here is the correct move for Maliq too. It’s a bummer that this is the way it went but I think the rationale is correct for both sides here.
That’s a bad excuse. We should be able to get plenty of talent here. If not, then we don’t have our NIL game on point.

All timer, horrible post

*who* is entitled to the money
He’s just saying it’s Pay for play, so let’s treat them like pros and structure these NIL contracts so the schools and “employers” have some fair protections.

In the real world employers would never hire young hot shots who just jump from company to company every year.

Last edited:
The reasoning is sound, but I’d expect a better center than Lampkin.

I think NCSt demonstrated that a team of mercenary transfers can take an entire season to develop (if at all). And it shouldn’t be lost on anyone that NCSt very nearly had no chance at the tournament. Almost no team is going to replicate that kind of run.
on the other hand, a team of 6 freshman didnt gel in 2 full seasons

there were a SIGNIFICANT number of portal players in this years sweet 16

dont try to pretend the portal aint it. it is.

besides, Red needs to show that he can get a team on the same page quickly.

this year's mess and failure to gel was on him, at the end of the day.

hopefully it was just extenuating circumstances...although I tend to beleive he shoulda seen some of these issues coming.

at the end of the day, in this era, the successful coaches will be the ones who can take a new group ad qucikly get them playing well. thats what this era is about.

can he do it?

idk

What kind of plantation mentality is that? By all means, keep the money from the workers.
BTW - this stuff has been going on for decades. It was just under the table.
You’re okay with coaches using and leaving for more money, but not players? Indefensible.

Big blow for the program. Red has a full rebuild on his hands now. The next month will be critical for his future. I hope he is able to rebuild the roster with premium talent and not picked over scraps.

Full rebuild. Here we go.

Basketball has become the new football and football has become the new basketball.

That’s a bad excuse. We should be able to get plenty of talent here. If not, then we don’t have our NIL game on point.
I’m sure there’s a number high enough to get him to not care, but Maliq was arguably our best player last season and he’d likely be coming off the bench next season. It takes a very special person to willingly accept that, especially when he can just go play anywhere else and have the role he feels he deserves.

If he had been a bench player this past season and was going to get more minutes but still come off the bench next season, maybe he stays. But that’s not how things played out and I don’t blame him for not wanting to take a demotion after how well he played this season.

He’s just saying it’s Pay for play, so let’s treat them like pros and structure these NIL contracts so the schools and “employers” have some fair protections.
The days of non-compete clauses is coming to an end.
IMO, the issue people have is not with NIL, but with unfettered transfers. I would think some strict academic eligibility rules (having sufficient credits for academic progress for your class, and objectively being able to graduate from your new school within your eligibility clock) would go a long way towards limiting the transfers.

It is 100% because Red is choosing a portal center over Maliq. I don’t appear to agree with it, but it is what it is.
did you guys watch the Clemson game?

did you see Maliq trying to guard Hall and Schefflien?

i dont understand how anyone wants more of that.

im not saying kick maliq out...im just saying that aint going to cut it for the starter guarding the post. its just not.

Maliq wants to start...and deserves to...but I just dont get what people actually want.

do you want to win ?

OR do you just want to keep the familiar guys?

im so so so tired of wataching syracuse use a non center guarding centers...and a non center trying to play in the post on offense.

what are people expecting if maliq was the starting center next year?

honestly

This announcement by Maliq sealed it.
Revolving doors of mercenaries assembled each season to "make a run".
How many, like me, considered Maliq "my guy" and foolishly assumed we'd enjoy 2 more seasons of that?
They aren't "our guys" any more. Continuity and program identity a thing of the past.
Fans will become numb to these portal announcements -they won't allow themselves to care that much.
And to be clear- wish Maliq the best, he's not the problem.

Programs hunt players, spend NIL $, all trying to become the next NC State.
Hope SU finds some of that magic.
OK with compensating players, but is this how it has to work? It SUCKS.
It was satisfying watching UNC's senior citizens with their NIL-lined pockets exit March Madness.
A disillusioned fan has to find something to keep their interest in watching! The game is broken.

The days of non-compete clauses is coming to an end.
IMO, the issue people have is not with NIL, but with unfettered transfers. I would think some strict academic eligibility rules (having sufficient credits for academic progress for your class, and objectively being able to graduate from your new school within your eligibility clock) would go a long way towards limiting the transfers.
Eh. If schools want players to stick around… structure the NIL to cover 2+ years with buyout protections.

The market decides who is entitled to waht in our society.

Would you prefer Maliq at the 5 with Freeman at the 4 vs Lampkin at the 5 with Freeman at the 4?
I would. Maliq was better at center this year.

If we are going to lose Maliq to the portal I’d expect a much better player than this.

We are going after a guy who provides zero
rim protection and had a higher turnover rate per 40 than Mintz or Copeland.

It makes me sick and I won’t lie I’m probably a bit emotional about it because Maliq was my favorite player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom