Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

After the shitshow that was this year, in addition to the two years prior not resulting to anything other than a bunch of games, doesn't everyone think a full rebuild is needed? I mean... we haven't been truly relevant in nearly a decade.

Well, this is not promising.
I'm guessing that Maliq was not impressed with Autry's plans to bring in a 5.

Full rebuild. Here we go.

Basketball has become the new football and football has become the new basketball.

We actually do have a five star kid coming in at the four spot.

These things are looking like pro sport trades.

I would. Maliq was better at center this year.

If we are going to lose Maliq to the portal I’d expect a much better player than this.

We are going after a guy who provides zero
rim protection and had a higher turnover rate per 40 than Mintz or Copeland.

It makes me sick and I won’t lie I’m probably a bit emotional about it because Maliq was my favorite player.
I hear you.
What do you make of, though, the numerous claims that Maliq wanted no part of playing very much at the 5 next year?

did you guys watch the Clemson game?

did you see Maliq trying to guard Hall and Schefflien?

i dont understand how anyone wants more of that.

im not saying kick maliq out...im just saying that aint going to cut it for the starter guarding the post. its just not.

Maliq wants to start...and deserves to...but I just dont get what people actually want.

do you want to win ?

OR do you just want to keep the familiar guys?

im so so so tired of wataching syracuse use a non center guarding centers...and a non center trying to play in the post on offense.

what are people expecting if maliq was the starting center next year?

honestly
Lampkin is worse at defense than Maliq. Look at some of Colorados games. He is not a defender.

I hear you.
What do you make of, though, the numerous claims that Maliq wanted no part of playing very much at the 5 next year?
If that’s true then why wait until there’s smoke with this guy? He’s known Freeman has been coming for months.

Dammit. No doubt it’s because he saw himself at center again next year.

That's what it feels like to me, too.
And of course that doesn't reflect too well on Autry "attacking the portal".
Doesn't seem so far like he learned anything from last year.
It's been 2 weeks. We had 4 departures, so we had open spots.
And it's been nobody. Damn. This doesn't feel good.

After the shitshow that was this year, in addition to the two years prior not resulting to anything other than a bunch of games, doesn't everyone think a full rebuild is needed? I mean... we haven't been truly relevant in nearly a decade.
Yet we are most likely Bell and Starling who are the most replaceable pieces smh.

Bush league to do this after saying you are going to come back. Here is an idea- don’t say you are going to come back unless you are 150% sure you will be coming back. He has known about freeman coming in for ages. Bush league from Brown.

God damn college bball is a complete and total nightmare

He watched the early returns, and wasn't convinced that we were serious about bringing in a quality center. After 2 weeks, we have been mentioned with pretty much no one.

The clock is ticking for him, too. You only have 45 days total in this window, and 1/3 of those days has already passed.

JT told GMac about Brown, a friend of JT’s since middle school. GMac recruited both JT and Brown. JT leaves, GMac leaves - now Brown is leaving. Uncertainty about his role. Relationships matter. Sad to hear he’s leaving.
Bingo

We actually do have a five star kid coming in at the four spot.

These things are looking like pro sport trades.

Oh I know. Full rebuild just makes me chuckle. So sky is falling.

Of course, I believe that’s from the same person that declared Red’s first season a bust before it was over.

Some of the takes are comical.

Oh I know. Full rebuild just makes me chuckle. So sky is falling.

Of course, I believe that’s from the same person that declared Red’s first season a bust before it was over.

Some of the takes are comical.

Brown's a good player, really high floor, like him.

He's not John Wallace, we are fortunate a guy like Freeman is coming in.

The days of non-compete clauses is coming to an end.
IMO, the issue people have is not with NIL, but with unfettered transfers. I would think some strict academic eligibility rules (having sufficient credits for academic progress for your class, and objectively being able to graduate from your new school within your eligibility clock) would go a long way towards limiting the transfers.

I’m with you. But no way will SEC sign off on that.

Lampkin's a decent rebounder, but I didn't know it was possible for 6'11" guys to block only five shots over a full season.

He's a good-not-great finisher, but draws fouls, has experience and has improved his FT shooting every year.

Maybe it can work, but I don't love the idea.

Time to get to work Red!

If you can't keep your most talented building blocks, I'm not convinced Red can bring in enough quality - and experienced - guys to build a good team.

You have to have enough guys who will be able to execute at a high level, and give you a chance to win against good teams. Usually, you need 8 or 9 productive guys, even 10, to be a good team, to have the depth to survive through the whole season.

Now, we're down to JJ and Bell. Those are our most proven guys. Neither plays good defense, but both can score, and offer a threat from three.

Two quality freshman, better than we've had in years. But other than that, it's all damaged goods.

Losing Copeland and Brown hurts. Those 2 guys were our best defenders, and this team was not stellar on D.

Judah - fine, let him go for the chemistry.

Now, we need like 6 or 7 quality guys, all over the roster, because a couple of them aren't going to live up to expectations. That's just how transfers go.

Don't pick any unproven bench players, no matter how good they measure.

Don't pick guys coming off any more injuries.

Pick at least 3 guys who were proven players at a lower level - Atlantic 10, MAAC, Big East, MAC.

We need guys who we KNOW can play, just like Fran went out and got PROVEN linemen and PROVEN skills players.

We need to be all over social media this next 2 weeks. Red needs an assistant ASAP, somebody with big talent connections in AAU or Prep School ball.

If he wants to keep his job, it's GO time.

We can't win with a forward who can't shoot and doesn't have a handle. Brown is a great situational player. He isn't an offensive threat.
Even if you think that. Eddie Lampkin is not the answer and I hope he isn‘t.

If you can't keep your most talented building blocks, I'm not convinced Red can bring in enough quality - and experienced - guys to build a good team.

You have to have enough guys who will be able to execute at a high level, and give you a chance to win against good teams. Usually, you need 8 or 9 productive guys, even 10, to be a good team, to have the depth to survive through the whole season.

Now, we're down to JJ and Bell. Those are our most proven guys. Neither plays good defense, but both can score, and offer a threat from three.

Two quality freshman, better than we've had in years. But other than that, it's all damaged goods.

Losing Copeland and Brown hurts. Those 2 guys were our best defenders, and this team was not stellar on D.

Judah - fine, let him go for the chemistry.

Now, we need like 6 or 7 quality guys, all over the roster, because a couple of them aren't going to live up to expectations. That's just how transfers go.

Don't pick any unproven bench players, no matter how good they measure.

Don't pick guys coming off any more injuries.

Pick at least 3 guys who were proven players at a lower level - Atlantic 10, MAAC, Big East, MAC.

We need guys who we KNOW can play, just like Fran went out and got PROVEN linemen and PROVEN skills players.

We need to be all over social media this next 2 weeks. Red needs an assistant ASAP, somebody with big talent connections in AAU or Prep School ball.

If he wants to keep his job, it's GO time.
You have to let things play out a bit before you reach this level of freak out.

I’m sure. All I know is that I’ve watched a slew of wide bodies pound the glass for all manner of teams over the past 2 weeks. And we haven’t had one of those types in eons.

For SU “difference maker” could be as much as a mid-major who can give us 22 minutes and 7 boards.

Yes, this shouldn't be so hard. We should be hearing that we've approached far more guys than the trickle of information that's been out there. That's not helpful.

Secrecy doesn't serve Red any more than it served Dino. This is an era of social media. People want bragging rights. They want to seem popular, seem wanted.

We don't seem to be playing this game at all, even with Straughn. I don't see any real stuff on socials from them.

You have to let things play out a bit before you reach this level of freak out.

1/3 of the period is already over. It's like the transfer window in soccer. You have to have time to negotiate a new deal somewhere before the window closes.

He's already gone, so it's not a "freak out". It's a fact. We didn't move fast enough for Maliq to believe he didn't risk having to be the primary center again next year.

Autry has had time to sell Maliq on his plan for revamping the roster. You should be engaging with the guys you DO want back next year, to keep them on board, and have their help recruiting replacements for guys who leave.

He hasn't done a good enough job of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom