Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

He’s just saying it’s Pay for play, so let’s treat them like pros and structure these NIL contracts so the schools and “employers” have some fair protections.

In the real world employers would never hire young hot shots who just jump from company to company every year.
College sports aren't the real world. Higher Education in general isn't the real world.

At this point i dont even care who stays or leaves anymore. Its the wild west and every season you are going to have new players. To get all worked up about it isnt worth it
Really? If you can’t keep core pieces like Jesse Edwards and Maliq Brown from leaving to the transfer portal after you helped develop them and you don’t have the NIL money to keep them here, then I worry SU doesn’t have the institutional commitment to return the basketball program to its previously elite status.

Why is everyone banking that Freeman is gonna be some superstar from day 1? They rarely ever are, especially front court players. I don’t see it. He’s not even a top 5 or 10 player overall. I’m not saying that Freeman isn’t really good for a high school player, but he’s not going to have the same impact as a Junior year Maliq would. And Freeman would still get 25-30mpg. Maliq would get 30mpg, and a portal center would get 25-30. I don’t see why that shouldn’t work out. Guys on last year’s UConn team never played more than 30mpg. Even Clingan only played like 15 mpg.

I think most agree with the minutes part but it's up to the players to sign on.

So you'd be able to divine all of that if only these players gave us more of an explanation of their decisions? And you believe they'd all give an honest explanation?

There's nothing honest about a tweet that tells us nothing.

The SU basketball program is pretty comical lately. And by lately I mean a decade.
Eh, disappointing in many ways for sure. But four 20-win seasons, four tourney berths, two sweet 16s and a final four with one losing season (still 16 wins) isn’t that atrocious. Add into that the fact that it was the end of an incredibly long tenure by a legendary coach (almost always a rocky ride at the finish) and a first-year head coach in an unprecedented era of player movement, the introduction of the era of players being paid above board in a Wild West type scenario, and penalty-free transfers while conferences are being constantly realigned.

That scenario is going to make for a lot of uncertainty and we’ve certainly felt that. Definitely ugly at times and disappointing for sure, but I wouldn’t call it comical nor would I say it’s been thoroughly shocking.

Just hope we can weather the storm and come out ok on the other side sooner than later.

Brown was agreat forward defender. Of coursehe has a hard time with 6'10" dudes who are quick and big down low WHERE he dont belong.
I think people are forgetting that a lot of teams are playing post-ups straight up with no help. A skilled big is going to eat up a lot of guys if he can take five dribbles and pump fake twice before shooting. Saw filipowski get eaten alive against nc state.

Why is everyone banking that Freeman is gonna be some superstar from day 1? They rarely ever are, especially front court players. I don’t see it. He’s not even a top 5 or 10 player overall. I’m not saying that Freeman isn’t really good for a high school player, but he’s not going to have the same impact as a Junior year Maliq would. And Freeman would still get 25-30mpg. Maliq would get 30mpg, and a portal center would get 25-30. I don’t see why that shouldn’t work out. Guys on last year’s UConn team never played more than 30mpg. Even Clingan only played like 15 mpg.
He is ranked #10 in class # 1 forward and a AA thats why

Well it was lose lose so whatever. Brown wouldn’t stay if we upgraded the front court I guess.

Watched a good number of CU games this year since one of my best friends lives out there and is a die hard buffs fan. Teams attacked the rim at will against CU, purposefully going at Lampkin. Marquette scored almost 50 in the paint to knock them out of the tourny. I love the size and rebounding but can’t help but be pretty concerned about our defense next year. I understand something had to give with maliq and donnie both playing the same position, and I was one of Maliq’s biggest fans so maybe i’m jaded, but would be pretty underwhelmed with this move. Who are we stopping with JJ, Bell and Eddie playing a bunch of minutes? Not what I was expexting from Red after he harped about defense all year but we’ll see how the rest of the roster shakes out.
Think he could be coming here as a backup? This doesn’t make me warm and fuzzy.

Seems like everybody here has been clamoring for a center. Now there’s a huge fallout because Maliq put his name in the portal while we are trying to reel in a center. Obviously you want to keep him in the fold but ask yourself would we have been better this year with Jesse or Maliq? And that’s no knock on Maliq who I think could be a good player on any team.

Last edited:
Players have 45 days to enter the portal.

They can transfer out of the portal at anytime. Right up until the semester starts in August.

Guys who enter the portal are not necessarily going to have a spot left for them on their old team.

So, if a guy is going to portal, and he's a quality player, he is going to want to have feelers out, negotiate a possible NIL package, and see what kind of roster fit he has on other teams, and how he gets along with the coaches. Usually, transfers go better when there is a relationship with the coaches, or with one or two players on a team.

Most guys want to know they have a landing spot before they commit. So many of these portal guys jump before they know if there's a market for their services.

Really? If you can’t keep core pieces like Jesse Edwards and Maliq Brown from leaving to the transfer portal after you helped develop them and you don’t have the NIL money to keep them here, then I worry SU doesn’t have the institutional commitment to return the basketball program to its previously elite status.

SUs commitment has nothing to do with NIL. NIL doesn’t come from SU. It comes from fans.

Seems like everybody here has been clamoring for center. Now there’s a huge fallout because Maliq put his name in the portal while we are trying to real in a center. Obviously you want to keep brown in the fold but ask yourself where we have been better this year with Jess or Maliq? And that’s no knock on Maliq who I think could be a good player on any team.
Posters have been all over the place trying to rationalize and explain this. Some have been saying for awhile that Maliq didn’t want to only play the 5 again next season (except as a backup) and wanted to focus on playing PF, which makes sense. But then we’ve actually been going out and trying to get a 5 man center from the portal and now Maliq wants to leave? And then others saying Maliq only wants to play the 5 and isn’t happy that we’re looking for a 5 in the portal. It seems like none of this makes sense.

SUs commitment has nothing to do with NIL. NIL doesn’t come from SU. It comes from fans.
Yup, and many top recruits/existing players won't be here if the NIL prospects look thin.

How do any of us know that this is true? At times, the conjectures on the forum are pretty presumptuous. I don’t believe Red or any coach would do this. If you’re good enough you don’t need guarantees.
This was my point. I was responding to the last guy that said Brown should’ve been made guarantees

Unfortunately, this is what fans have to get used to.

It makes sense for most good players to enter the portal and see where they can go and how much they can get.
Can't count on a player for more than one year.
Maybe -MAYBE - Duke and UNC and Kansas and UConn can.
But that's about it.

Losing Maliq Brown hurts no matter how you spin it.

Losing Maliq hurts.

However with so many departures will that cause other transfers to hesitate coming here because they want to see how the team shakes out and where they may or may not fit in.

I tend to agree, we always hype our recruits but few come in game ready, think of all 4/5* that took a few years, christmas, mcw, fab, benny flopped, etc. outside dion waiters, melo and ennis were instant impact guys. But its far from a guarantee. This one hurts a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom