Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Maybe Maliq got an offer he couldn't refuse, prompting the staff to reach out to and get serious w/ Lampkin? Really hope we can keep Maliq if there's still a chance. Kid's a stud.

Yes. And I bet that was the plan. But Brown didn't want that. And there is no center he would have agreed to that plan with. I'm going to go with Red knows more about basketball and what it takes to win more than the guys on this board. He has played the game. Gone to a 1000 clinics. And coached the game. If we land a center, Lampkin or otherwise, we will at least have a guy that plays the position. I along with everyone else wish Brown had stayed. Still might but with other coaches coming calling, less likely, but I'm not disappointed with this trade if that is what it comes down to.
He’s a league average starter who we already have 2 of. You’re basically asking Freeman and whoever the PG is to be All ACC to be improved over last season.

Question regarding Lampkin - only saw him play a few times. Tough to judge because I thought Colorado had a pretty good team especially offensively, but the kid has some skills on that end that we have not had for a while. Wasn't scared to rebound. I think he is out of shape but our crackerjack S&C team will solve that no problem(kidding).

Not asking if he is better than Maliq but what is the major concern other than defense and basketball feel? He's not a shot blocker but neither is Maliq. Just curious for those who have seen him play a lot.
Opposing bigs can't push Lampkin deep in the paint for an inlet pass, and they can't back him down.

There have been rumblings about this. Which goes back to concerns about NIL. You would think for a proven player like Maliq we would match but maybe the bags got crazy a la Jesse.
I don't believe that to be the case. I also don't think the people closest to him want him to leave. If it was for a bigger bag, I think they wouldn't be against it. I think it has to do with his role. He knows Freeman is coming. And he knows they also wanta portal center. It might just be about math.

He’s a league average starter who we already have 2 of. You’re basically asking Freeman and whoever the PG is to be All ACC to be improved over last season.
Not at all. We can be better by being a complete team. Having a real 4. A real 5 A real 1. That would make us better. Guys that actually play the position that they are assigned to play. Our best teams have always had that.

Replacing your most important player with a one year rental that plays no defense and for one reason or another "couldn't return" to his last two schools is the exact opposite of what the program needs. Maliq was the only player on the roster that we needed to retain and we are replacing him with a dude that could leave the team in the middle of the season and I wouldn't be surprised. I thought we were moving away from the bullchit.

I don't believe that to be the case. I also don't think the people closest to him want him to leave. If it was for a bigger bag, I think they wouldn't be against it. I think it has to do with his role. He knows Freeman is coming. And he knows they also wanta portal center. It might just be about math.

If we could convince him into coming back that would be great. Just not sure what you can sell to him if you bring Lampkin in and Bell is still locked in as a starter.

How long do you think you can get away with that once word gets around that you are a liar? Not long. Good luck getting players in the future.
Fine. I hear you. I was just trying to say that coaches have to finesse these issues about playing time and player’s roles all the time, and there’s always some careful threading you have to do. But I’ll repeat my question from earlier. What is Maliq’s concern/problem about his role that made him want to enter the portal after he said he’d be back? That’s the question. Does he want to play mostly at PF? Ok, we’re gonna bring in a portal center to play the majority of minutes there. And why would Maliq be that worried about Freeman at PF? The kid is a freshman. He’s good and he’s going to play. But there’s a real chance he’s not even ready to play more than 20mpg. The coaching staff literally said publicly after the season that Maliq is the most important piece of what we want to do here on offense AND defense (to quote Straughn). So what more does he want?

Last edited:
The sad thing is I would be hyped about PF and C being manned by Donnie, Lampkin and Maliq with spot minutes for McLeod. Thrilled. If we get a stud pg and quality wing, this may be this year’s version of the just missed/what if game we’ve seemed to play in a continual loop for several years.

Let me ask you this, if we were to start, and I am just talking here, a lineup of Reynolds at the 1 ( a combo, I know) JJ at the 2, Bell at the 3, Freeman at the 4 and Lampkin at the 5. You don't think that is an improvement over what we just had? I do.

Not at all. We can be better by being a complete team. Having a real 4. A real 5 A real 1. That would make us better. Guys that actually play the position that they are assigned to play. Our best teams have always had that.
I’m not saying positional basketball shouldn’t be the goal. It should and I’ve said that’s been our biggest issue for years. But if JJ played the 5 better than Lampkin, I would keep JJ there.

When we got Naheem everyone was so excited by his size. What did we get there?

The sad thing is I would be hyped about PF and C being manned by Donnie, Lampkin and Maliq with spot minutes for McLeod. Thrilled. If we get a stud pg and quality wing, this may be this year’s version of the just missed/what if game we’ve seemed to play in a continual loop for several years.
agreed that would be a nice group

Fine. I hear you. But I’ll repeat my question from earlier. What is Maliq’s concern/problem about his role that made him want to enter the portal after he said he’d be back? That’s the question. Does he want to play mostly at PF? Ok, we’re gonna bring in a portal center to play the majority of minutes there. And why would Maliq be that worried about Freeman at PF? The kid is a freshman. He’s good and he’s going to play. But there’s a real chance he’s not even ready to play more than 20mpg. The coaching staff literally said publicly after the season that Maliq is the most important piece of what we want to do here on offense AND defense (to quote Straughn). So what more does he want?
Straughn is not the head coach and was talking nice about a great kid that plays hard all the time. If Brown was the most important player on next years team, we would have a lousy season.

Replacing your most important player with a one year rental that plays no defense and for one reason or another "couldn't return" to his last two schools is the exact opposite of what the program needs. Maliq was the only player on the roster that we needed to retain and we are replacing him with a dude that could leave the team in the middle of the season and I wouldn't be surprised. I thought we were moving away from the bullchit.
Is your take that Red/staff wanted him to leave? That they feel good now that he's leaving? That they didn't have a vision for next year that he was an integral part of? That they aren't working to make the team stronger?

The confusing thing is what changed from 3 weeks ago? He knew about Donnie and knew Red wanted a portal center. Was he mistaken about whether he would start?

Let me ask you this, if we were to start, and I am just talking here, a lineup of Reynolds at the 1 ( a combo, I know) JJ at the 2, Bell at the 3, Freeman at the 4 and Lampkin at the 5. You don't think that is an improvement over what we just had? I do.

Only if we have a solid backup option at the 4/3 from the portal, Moore can compete with Cuffe off the bench and Chance is healthy as is McLeod as a backup 5.

If we get Lampkin, as long as we add more shooters, that offense can work. Reynolds would be great and maybe Moore will be ready right away, but another shooter at the forward spot would be necessary. I'd love to see Bell replaced with a more all-around player, but that likely isn't happening.

I’m not saying positional basketball shouldn’t be the goal. It should and I’ve said that’s been our biggest issue for years. But if JJ played the 5 better than Lampkin, I would keep JJ there.

When we got Naheem everyone was so excited by his size. What did we get there?
Naheem has never been as good as Lampkin. You know that. Second, losing Naheem really hurt us. I will wait to see how this all plays out before I get worked up. I am hopeful that we get the 1 we need. I think we have a chance to be very good next year.

Colgate will be up double digits in the second half, again, because we play no defense, again.

If we get Lampkin, as long as we add more shooters, that offense can work. Reynolds would be great and maybe Moore will be ready right away, but another shooter at the forward spot would be necessary. I'd love to see Bell replaced with a more all-around player, but that likely isn't happening.
I think they believe that Bell can continue to improve. Time will tell.

Look everyone talking about how nice a combo of Freeman/Brown/Lampkin would be at the 4/5 all sharing minutes. I think every single person agrees with you there, all the fans and all the coaches. The only problem is that Brown doesn't agree with that vision and that is why he is leaving.

If Bell is starting then we are in trouble once again.

The combination of a Freshman (no matter how good), a PG who averages 2.2 assist for his career and a worse Def efficiency rating than Judah, A def liability at 2 guard, a def liability at the 3 and another questionable defensive guy at 5? That has all the makings of a much worse Kentucky team.

Look everyone talking about how nice a combo of Freeman/Brown/Lampkin would be at the 4/5 all sharing minutes. I think every single person agrees with you there, all the fans and all the coaches. The only problem is that Brown doesn't agree with that vision and that is why he is leaving.
Exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom