Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

i mean...brown was good but I saw it waay too many times last year...where teams just abused the orange in the paint

what position do you want brown to play? center?

powr forward?

do you want freeman benched for brown?
Well I got news for you. If you think Brown got abused.……we better hope we don’t see Lampkin.

Justin Taylor had more blocked shots and better defensive metrics than him at 6’6”.

If he earns his degree he can do whatever he wants.

THIS UPCOMING SEASON...24-25...Assuming he's coming back...Is JJ Starling considered a transfer for the Syracuse Men's Basketball team or is he considered a returning player?

Well I got news for you. If you think Brown got abused.……we better hope we don’t see Lampkin.

Justin Taylor had more blocked shots and better defensive metrics than him at 6’6”.
man whatever im not here to talk about lampkin

who do you want at PF next year - freeman or brown?

I WANT FREEMAN

not sure where to put this but I found a great post on twitter about this whole situation, with much needed perspective:

With the news of Maliq entering the portal today I’m getting the feeling that a lot of Cuse Fans haven’t looked around and saw what’s happening in college basketball and are under the impression there’s an issue with Syracuse Basketball given the amount of players in the portal.

So I did the research and broke down the Top-150 Players in the class of 2022, since they’ve had one full offseason

The numbers of guys at their original school will open your eyes that this is not an issue unique to Syracuse Basketball

Here’s what I found:

Keep in mind - this is as it sits today. The season technically isn’t even over yet. More guys will portal. Here’s the stats.

Players: 150
Stayed at original school: 56
Went Pro out of HS: 1
Are in the NBA: 21
Transferred: 72

⬇️Here’s a percentage breakdown⬇️

Stayed: 37%
Pro: 15%
Transferred: 48%

That means ~half of the Top-150 players in the 2022 class have transferred or entered the transfer portal before the national championship of their second year. This is not a Syracuse problem. Relax. Look around. Portal taketh, portal giveth. They have 5-6 months to build this roster, lock in on Syracuse in October - anything before that is doing yourself an injustice. Go Orange
No one is surprised players are transferring, we are surprised that the one player that was worth a damn is transferring from a program that is supposed to be a landing spot. He is just rehashing something we already know: players think they deserve better. This is not the same situation.

We’re gonna be kicking ourselves for not having a Donny Malik combo next year.

This is the point.

it's not Maliq or Donnie. It's Maliq AND Donnie. I don't care how you have to sort it, you get them both to play.

You cannot give up Maliq to get Donnie, nor should that be the proposition.

You get all the talent you can and you make it work. But what you cannot do is allow the MVP, Maliq, to leave and then be hoping that Donnie is day one All ACC and that somehow Bell and JJ are more well rounded AND you land a PG and Center.

And, oh btw, are we just holding with who is left for our bench?

You can't have gaping holes, THEN lose Maliq, then just say "we'll be fine".

I’m not sure why it’s difficult to imagine Brown, Freeman and a center dividing up 80 minutes. You could also throw a few minutes playing small forward. Red has always preached about position less basketball. No one should be playing 35 minutes.

I would have drank a cup of piss in college if someone gave me $20 for beer money.
Is that slang for PBR, or do you mean like literal urine?

brother 3 of the 4 players you just named are transfers…. Burns and Horne TWICE.
Just to confirm if you are getting this or not...

You realize in this scenario you outlined

We are WITHROP and Arizona State, right?

Maliq got screwed this year - he was not put in a position to succeed . And his reward for his play last year was to come back to less minutes, and direct PT competition from the programs best recruit in a decade. His best friend is transferring and got booed at home - and his lead recruiter just left. And on top of all of that, I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t trust the staff after what happened this year.
This is a terrible post. The staff did nothing wrong. McLeod got injured. We tried to play Carey at center as a backup but he was injured himself and really struggled. Maliq was our only option. Gerry might have been his lead recruiter but Red was very involved in his recruitment too, and he’s had two years to develop relationships with other staff members and players. The staff wasn’t trying to screw Maliq in recruiting Donnie. You always have to be recruiting and pulling in talent. Maliq has nothing to be worried about with Freeman. He will still play 35mpg. Freeman is a freshman who will need time to adjust and develop.

i dont know if I need to offer some people in here an inhaler or a shot, or both?
Blue Velvet Oxygen GIF

This is the point.

it's not Maliq or Donnie. It's Maliq AND Donnie. I don't care how you have to sort it, you get them both to play.

You get all the talent you can and you make it work. But what you cannot do is allow the MVP, Maliq, to leave and then be hoping that Donnie is day one All ACC and that somehow Bell and JJ are more well rounded AND you land a PG and Center.

I’m not disagreeing with the points around Maliq but here is a different angle I was struggling with having him come back-

You play Donnie and Maliq as your starters and you have to rely on Bell as your backup 4 and McLeod your backup 5 I think. Not sure who you convince to come play as the third PF/ second SF and third C unless they are undersized. McLeod is maybe healthy maybe not. Chance is your backup 3 most likely and secondary PG. Maliqs offense has to improve a lot if that was our reality and honestly not sure who you lure in if Maliq is staying.

So if Maliq had stayed you almost have to have Bell move on to balance things out with someone who plays the 3 and 4 being able to defend and rebound well enough and play more physically given neither Maliq or Donnie are likely of that mold necessarily.

I think the gaping holes with him returning, when you sit back trying to sort out the sales pitch and how you have them both on the court with Bell but also need depth gets tricky unless we have some serious NIL to throw around.

I think we were in a tough place stay or go when it came to Maliq and here we are handed which card we have to play.

THIS UPCOMING SEASON...24-25...Assuming he's coming back...Is JJ Starling considered a transfer for the Syracuse Men's Basketball team or is he considered a returning player?

He transferred from another school. Yout used a bunch of transfers - in one case a 23 year old - to make your point about Brown. Just don't think it's valid, fair to disagree.

Maliq got screwed this year - he was not put in a position to succeed . And his reward for his play last year was to come back to less minutes, and direct PT competition from the programs best recruit in a decade. His best friend is transferring and got booed at home - and his lead recruiter just left. And on top of all of that, I wouldn’t blame him if he didn’t trust the staff after what happened this year.
Not sure how getting an extra 20 minutes per game playing time counts as getting "screwed."
He was out of position. And he got recruited over. We can't have it both ways.

This is the point.

Red wanted to add to that group so we lost Malik. There was no option to add an experienced forward as well and keep him.

Should have focused on guards. Patterson and McCleod likely are in more important roles than any of us want but we get to see those two together.

Huge fail more misses than hits from Red as of right now. Even going back 12 months last off-season is a disaster we developed the last JB recruiting class for other programs we’re basically a minor league/feeder team. And he made the moronic decision to stick with Benny even tho he quit and was off the team at 1 point 22/23 season.

If Freeman is as good as we are now relying on him to be he won’t play a second season for us though I do not want to go there we’ve seen enough of that garbage on here ie Jalen Carey is a one and done.

Most of us consider Syracuse to be in the second tier of CBB programs right under the blue bloods, right? Show me how many times the most important player from one of the teams in our tier or above has transferred in the last couple of years, please.

UNC had three last year according to the googles. Gonzaga three. Duke none. That's all I checked.

He transferred from another school. Yout used a bunch of transfers - in one case a 23 year old - to make your point about Brown. Just don't think it's valid, fair to disagree.

I used a bunch of RETURNING PLAYERS to suggest you want to RETURN YOUR BEST PLAYER to do well. I’m surprised this concept was that difficult to understand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom