Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I believe that Red will bring in a transfer to replace Brown. An established player that can backup the forwards and possibly be a small ball center for a handful of minutes. That is of course exhausting all possibility of not being able to lure Brown into coming back. Have to operate like he's not though.
So that’s what this is now. One year rentals. NBA teams have more consistency. Hell, my pickup games have more consistency. You all wake me up when the season starts.

VT out!

And if he goes down Chris McCullogh style, is Red prepared for what that type of season looks like without depth at the position, yet again?
Really a no win situation.

Winning helps recruiting.

Yes, we need NBA players, but DF isn't going to be Melo or even Jerami Grant.

People are laying way too much at DF's feet. He's not that guy.

Right now, he’s far better than Jerami was at the same stage.

I mean, Jerami really didn’t even have a functional J for his 2 years at Cuse.
His impact was all based on his absurd athleticism.

Donnie has some pretty solid SF skills in his bag already.
Jerami didn’t add those until several seasons in the NBA.

Having not read all 44 pages (just pages 1, 2, 44), please forgive if this repeats others. Of all the guys leaving I wish McLeod was 1 of them. He is not a C for a P5 school. Very srry Brown is going but fully understand. He is not a center. He knows it, the team knows it. He should not be forced to play C for a 3rd year. He needs to prove his worth as a Pf. And with Freeman coming in, Brown would rarely exceed 20 mins in any game at the 4. Wouldn't be surprised he gets in a good situation.

I have a question. Do kids enter the portal to be bench players? Someone said something about bringing in kids to develop behind Freeman and maybe even Lampkin. I know the portal is now a major recruiting tool but isn't it really best for getting starters or 6th man.

Right now, he’s far better than Jerami was at the same stage.

I mean, Jerami really didn’t even have a functional J for his 2 years at Cuse.
His impact was all based on his absurd athleticism.

Donnie has some pretty solid SF skills in his bag already.
Jerami didn’t add those until several seasons in the NBA.

You think Donnie is going to be making jump shots at Cuse regularly? You think he can dribble at the high major level?

I like DF. I think people here are expecting way too much, though.

I'll take absurd athleticism.

If I’m Red, after securing the best pg possible, I rally the donor troops to make Maliq an offer he can’t refuse and alleviates whatever his concern may be - probably not going to find better depth at the 4 and 5 through one player. A backup wing will be cheapish so not worried about that. And then assuming our pg is elite we’re looking good.

You think Donnie is going to be making jump shots at Cuse regularly? You think he can dribble at the high major level?

I think you are both correct.

Donnie is more skilled at this stage than Jerami, but he still very much seems like a work in progress. High long-term upside but doesn't look like a lottery pick next year at this stage.

Fortunately a lot of fans aren't the head coach. I think if the starting lineup is Judah (?), JJ, Chris, Lampkin and Freeman, I think Donnie fits in perfectly. He shouldn't have to be the Alpha. Just another key cog who can contribute when called upon. Possibly the 4th or 5th option on offense.

Fortunately a lot of fans aren't the head coach. I think if the starting lineup is Judah (?), JJ, Chris, Lampkin and Freeman, I think Donnie fits in perfectly. He shouldn't have to be the Alpha. Just another key cog who can contribute when called upon. Possibly the 4th or 5th option on offense.

Legitimately asking, what's his role in that lineup?

If Judah is our PG, what is he doing on offense?

Defensively, that lineup would need him to be a Draymond-level defender.

Also JG was in a better spot coming in. We didn't need him to be good to very good. The success of next year's team is going to require Freeman to be good to very good right away. Tough ask.

If I’m Red, after securing the best pg possible, I rally the donor troops to make Maliq an offer he can’t refuse and alleviates whatever his concern may be - probably not going to find better depth at the 4 and 5 through one player. A backup wing will be cheapish so not worried about that. And then assuming our pg is elite we’re looking good.
How much money do you think we have to spend? The pt guard is going to cost a lot. As did Lampkin, I'm sure. I also would love to hav Brown back. But someone out there is going to pay him starter money. We won't be able to do that I don't believe.

Having not read all 44 pages (just pages 1, 2, 44), please forgive if this repeats others. Of all the guys leaving I wish McLeod was 1 of them. He is not a C for a P5 school. Very srry Brown is going but fully understand. He is not a center. He knows it, the team knows it. He should not be forced to play C for a 3rd year. He needs to prove his worth as a Pf. And with Freeman coming in, Brown would rarely exceed 20 mins in any game at the 4. Wouldn't be surprised he gets in a good situation.

I have a question. Do kids enter the portal to be bench players? Someone said something about bringing in kids to develop behind Freeman and maybe even Lampkin. I know the portal is now a major recruiting tool but isn't it really best for getting starters or 6th man.
The bolded seems wild to me. I love what Freeman brings but he is a Freshman. Even if he starts he may take a while to get used to the speed of D1 ball and adjust his game accordingly. I feel like Maliq would find plenty of minutes at the 4.

I guess that is why I am confused on how we can’t sell this to him.

Legitimately asking, what's his role in that lineup?

If Judah is our PG, what is he doing on offense?

Defensively, that lineup would need him to be a Draymond-level defender.
I don't know. If it's Judah, then DF will probably be last option. If it's a playmaker guard, then I see Donnie being very active using his size advantage to score all over the court, but especially in the paint with opponent's big men needing to stay on Lampkin. If Donnie uses his size to his advantage, he will get his points.

I don't know. If it's Judah, then DF will probably be last option. If it's a playmaker guard, then I see Donnie being very active using his size advantage to score all over the court, but especially in the paint with opponent's big men needing to stay on Lampkin. If Donnie uses his size to his advantage, he will get his points.

I hope it's a playmaking guard, because, I agree, DF will benefit tremendously.

I don't think it will be fair to DF to run him in that lineup -- I think he will get frustrated on both ends.

How much money do you think we have to spend? The pt guard is going to cost a lot. As did Lampkin, I'm sure. I also would love to hav Brown back. But someone out there is going to pay him starter money. We won't be able to do that I don't believe.
Perhaps a nice hand-written “I owe you” then?

What difference does it make what our goals are? Either we raise the money or we don't. I'm sure the University would love to see us first in NIL money. But that is up to the donors. Not the school.
Depends, the school has influence on where they want the big money to go. Does the school want the big money to go to football NIL over basketball NIL? Does the school prefer donors to give towards NIL instead of building upgrades? Different schools have different priorities.

Comparing Donnie to Benny is just as bad as comparing Donnie to DC. They’re both TERRIBLE and lazy comparisons and it shows when people say stuff like this, that that don’t pay attention to recruiting and the draft process enough to equal how much they talk.

Pace, ball movement and volume of possessions seems to be the offensive priority - that’s a recipe for everyone to eat, if executed correctly.

Winning helps recruiting.

Yes, we need NBA players, but DF isn't going to be Melo or even Jerami Grant.

People are laying way too much at DF's feet. He's not that guy.

True but the talent levels across the country aren’t what those guys played against either… so how much impact he has can still be pretty significant.

His handle looks good. Scouting reports say he isn’t going to consistently break guys down with the dribble, he’ll likely be a bit turnover prone (as most freshman are), but it’s clear that he’s comfortable with the ball in his hands away from the hoop.

You’re implying he isn’t known to have a jump shot when every scouting report I’ve read notes that as one of the top positive attributes of his game. He hasn’t been just a tall bouncy guy who dunks. So, I completely expect him to shoot and make jumpers in ACC play. He’s tall with a high release. Defenders aren’t going to be able to challenge his jumpers often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom