Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Between high school games and AAU, he shot 29% from 3. He was a poor shooter the year before as well. Having said that, it does sound like he's been shooting well in practices and stuff recently, but we often see reports about stuff like that that don't carry over to actual games. His jumper looks okay, and he's certainly comfortable taking them. The results have been disappointing up to this point though.

Jump shot does not just mean 3 point shot. I wasn’t using it in the sense that 3 point shooting is considered a top attribute of his game. The scouting reports I was referring to, mention that he can score at 3 levels, with the ability to pull up for jumpers called out as a positive, along with notes that he’s a capable catch and shoot 3-baller (implying 3’s off the bounce are a development area).

Edit 2: Edit 1 was inaccurate because I assumed you were using EYBL stats but, as you said, you were using AAU and high school. Hand up. I suspect relatively low volume still makes 3p% susceptible to large swings but I’m not putting in the leg work to assert that. Again, the point remains that I wasn’t calling out 3pt shooting as a primary weapon of his.

Last edited:
The most alarming stat is Freeman’s FT shooting. He needs to get better there.

I personally believe Freemans shot will be fine. It keeps getting better. I think he will average somewhere around 12/6 next year. I'm more concerned about other positions than him.

You would think losing Maliq clears up a lot of NIL cap space for next season as I would think he would have been the most expensive guy on the team to keep. Maybe that extra money lets us go after a better pg than we were anticipating? Hoping for some kind of silver lining here.

While I’m down this rabbit hole, why the heck are high school/AAU stats so hard to find? Is it intentional or behind paywalls or lack of interest?

You’d think I could Google ‘Donavan Freeman IMG Academy basketball stats’ and get something… anything.

By all accounts Brown doesn’t want to play center at all so that wouldn’t have anything to do with Lampkin.
So why is he suddenly wanting to bolt? Freeman committed last spring, and he’s just a freshman. A good one. But there’s no telling how the adjustment will go. Maliq is a proven player at the high major level.

Jump shot does not just mean 3 point shot. I wasn’t using it in the sense that 3 point shooting is considered a top attribute of his game. The scouting reports I was referring to, mention that he can score at 3 levels, with the ability to pull up for jumpers called out as a positive, along with notes that he’s a capable catch and shoot 3-baller (implying 3’s off the bounce are a development area).

Edit 2: Edit 1 was inaccurate because I assumed you were using EYBL stats but, as you said, you were using AAU and high school. Hand up. I suspect relatively low volume still makes 3p% susceptible to large swings but I’m not putting in the leg work to assert that. Again, the point remains that I wasn’t calling out 3pt shooting as a primary weapon of his.

Guess we'll see. I don't see his jumper being a threat from even 15 and out.

And I think he's going to have real issues with spacing playing alongside Lampkin who has never taken a three his whole college career.

BTW, if DF can't hit FTs, it will mean we have a five and four that have trouble hitting FTs.

Hope I'm wrong about DF and he can do more than I think he can, at least his freshman year.

Love Maliq as a person and player. I know he was probably the most important player on the team next year. But hear me out…

Donnie is preparing to be a one and done (sure I know we have heard that before) but that’s truly
The case. I will absolutely trade a player who is going to be drafted as high as a lottery pick after his first year to get some sustainability with this high level type of prospect. Syracuse needs to get guys drafted and Freeman provides that opportunity. That helps recruiting so much and the program needs that. I’m fine with the trade because 2-3 years down the road, Freeman’s impact will be felt longer
That makes sense. But why can’t we play both? There are enough minutes to go around. I’m not sure why Maliq can’t see that.

I have a question. Do kids enter the portal to be bench players?
All you have to do is look at Duke. Do the math. They're not all starting and getting 30+ minutes. If the bag is large enough, the kids will be just fine sitting the bench. Money talks.

Love Maliq as a person and player. I know he was probably the most important player on the team next year. But hear me out…

Donnie is preparing to be a one and done (sure I know we have heard that before) but that’s truly
The case. I will absolutely trade a player who is going to be drafted as high as a lottery pick after his first year to get some sustainability with this high level type of prospect. Syracuse needs to get guys drafted and Freeman provides that opportunity. That helps recruiting so much and the program needs that. I’m fine with the trade because 2-3 years down the road, Freeman’s impact will be felt longer
I get what you are saying...

But we need to make the tourney. Period. Or Red's not going to get a chance to see that impact 2-3 years down the road. And, to clarify, that's not Red's fault either...just the fanbase will not be ok with 4-5 years out of the tourney with promises to next year

And I think he's going to have real issues with spacing playing alongside Lampkin who has never taken a three his whole college career.

BTW, if DF can't hit FTs, it will mean we have a five and four that have trouble hitting FTs.

Hope I'm wrong about DF and he can do more than I think he can, at least his freshman year.

I don’t think spacing will be a problem with Lampkin. Most college teams don’t have a floor stretching Center. Lampkin’s size could help when we have guys working near the rim because he’s a big obstacle for defenders to try to get around. Time will tell.

Freeman’s FT shooting might not be as big a problem as I thought. I saw 62% on Team Takover. But he was 75% in the IMG games. So, probably fine. Still room for improvement.

I see him as a better freshman CJ Fair. Extrapolated to 40 minutes, CJ Fair would’ve averaged 14 and 8. Donnie is bigger and more athletic. Both had midrange games. I think Donnie is a better ballhandler than Fair was at that time, but it’s probably close. Fair wasn’t allowed to shoot 3’s; I assume Donnie will be allowed to.

I think Finkelstein made one of the most important points about Freeman when he talked about how there has been "a very linear progression as he continues to turn potential into production."

That linear progression from potential to production is the best indicator of the type of career he could have at SU. The debates about his inability to play the 3, which former SU player his game resembles, or one and done lottery pick stuff are silly at this point.

He is now a fluid big who has transformed his body and beginning is to show the same type of progression in his shooting. I'm going to join the silliness and guess that he is going to continue to evolve as a more effective wing type player as compared to a traditional 4.

The most important factor is that he will add versatility to lineups in Red's system.

This one kills. Maliq's not only a good player, but a winner. Does a lot of little things.

We are really a long, long way from really competing again. If we ever do again. It's the sad truth.

If we just kept Maliq, we'd compete next year, but we didn't, so we won't. For a long time.

This is some awful stuff.

I think there is a little PTSD in what we saw from Benny built in to the doubt here. Donnie has put up numbers and strong performances against the best in the country consistently and while the jump shot isn’t perfect it’s pretty good and release point is ideal. Since Bell is 6-8 with a high release point too you have to have size on both to defend the perimeter shot which will be a taller order for a lot of teams especially if Lampkin is screening to get them open or can force a double. He’s bouncy getting into the lane and finishing in the paint as well to which should pair well working with Lampkin given the paint isn’t going to be crowded. Remember he played with Ngongba too and they worked well together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom