Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

So why is he suddenly wanting to bolt? Freeman committed last spring, and he’s just a freshman. A good one. But there’s no telling how the adjustment will go. Maliq is a proven player at the high major level.
Because I’m assuming that you can’t tell a McDonald’s all American and the best recruit we’ve had in over a decade to come off the bench. You won’t get any high level recruits again and probably ruin relationships. Just assuming but that would make sense to me.

This one kills. Maliq's not only a good player, but a winner. Does a lot of little things.

We are really a long, long way from really competing again. If we ever do again. It's the sad truth.
Totally disagree, as long as Red stays true to himself. Most likely you will come around when we start winning

It’s never the staff’s fault with a lot of fans here. From sanctions to players leaving early to bags from other teams. Things that every other team in college basketball have to deal with.

After a decade of irrelevance I’m tired of the excuses.
The CSS crew are the kings of excuses.

<<specualtive post>>

more I think about it - more I think this decision to leave was Maliq's

and given that...what are the coaches/program supposed to do?

i didnt want him to leave by any means

but if it means maliq stays and thats it

or maliq leaves bc other talented bigs are brought in...

its a NO-BRAINER for me that I want talent brought in.

do people that are upset with brown leaving also want no other centers to be brought in?

While I’m down this rabbit hole, why the heck are high school/AAU stats so hard to find? Is it intentional or behind paywalls or lack of interest?

You’d think I could Google ‘Donavan Freeman IMG Academy basketball stats’ and get something… anything.
The IMG stats are readily available thankfully because they play in the EYBL Scholastic league: 2023-2024 IMG Academy Men's Basketball - Overall Team Stats - Nike EYBL Scholastic

AAU stats and other high schools outside EYBL Scholastic are unfortunately often behind paywalls now. It used to be free through one site which is how I used to provide all those numbers on the recruits we were pursuing but they buried it behind a paywall in the last year and were marketing themselves solely to NBA teams and colleges so it cost thousands to access the stats.

Typing from my phone and busy at the moment but you can sometimes get lucky with AAU stats by searching “The Circuit (insert player name) Stats”

It’s never the staff’s fault with a lot of fans here. From sanctions to players leaving early to bags from other teams. Things that every other team in college basketball have to deal with.

After a decade of irrelevance I’m tired of the excuses.
Two decades of excuses in the football side and a rookie head coach chewed up and spit out the narrative in literal days, I honestly was and still in shock what is going on.

Last edited:
Okay, you have said it. But now you seem to be most upset that others aren't as upset as you. And that is ridiculous. As for the staff, JB decided who he wanted. I know for a fact, a fact, that coaches have wanted other guys and JB said No. Where we are is on JB. And it is unfair to blame the new guy. That he was here as an ass't is not relevant seeing that JB called the shots, not the ass'ts. I think that we will all be glad to have JJ on this team over the next 2 years. You don't. Time will tell.
When did Coach think he was leaving? This is coaching malpractice.

So in order for Red not to be considered a bad coach or a bad recruiter, his job was to improve the talent on the roster, but not to recruit anyone better than the guy that was the backup power forward to begin the year? It's not like Maliq ever even became the starting power forward here. No one, not even Maliq's biggest supporters wanted him to play center again. But that doesn't mean he was entitled to, or even earned, the starting power forward position. He didn't play there much at all this season to be truthful. Regardless of who Red had on his roster he should have been recruiting the best players he could find at every position on the team. And to say Red wasn't paying enough attention to recruiting guards in the portal based on him getting a Center commitment first is as moronic as it sounds.
I would never say that Maliq was afraid of competition. But it is not disputable at this time that Maliq did not want to be part of a team with a real center plus Donovan Freeman. That's on Maliq, not Red. Even if Maliq stayed we would still need another forward. You can't go through a season with only 3 forwards especially when you lose 2 swingmen that played a lot of forward minutes last year. So I don't think Red isn't done. LGO!

So in order for Red not to be considered a bad coach or a bad recruiter, his job was to improve the talent on the roster, but not to recruit anyone better than the guy that was the backup power forward to begin the year? It's not like Maliq ever even became the starting power forward here. No one, not even Maliq's biggest supporters wanted him to play center again. But that doesn't mean he was entitled to, or even earned, the starting power forward position. He didn't play there much at all this season to be truthful. Regardless of who Red had on his roster he should have been recruiting the best players he could find at every position on the team. And to say Red wasn't paying enough attention to recruiting guards in the portal based on him getting a Center commitment first is as moronic as it sounds.
I would never say that Maliq was afraid of competition. But it is not disputable at this time that Maliq did not want to be part of a team with a real center plus Donovan Freeman. That's on Maliq, not Red. Even if Maliq stayed we would still need another forward. You can't go through a season with only 3 forwards especially when you lose 2 swingmen that played a lot of forward minutes last year. So I don't think Red isn't done. LGO!
I agree and I don't think anyone is at fault here. Red wants what he wants and Maliq wanted a different opportunity.

Brown would have helped more next year than Freeman will. The year after that, who knows.

For every block McLeod had there were 3-4 bone head sluggish plays. Slow and does not have the IQ or timing. He is the illusion of a rim protector because of his block stats. And now he is coming off an injury.
My guess is he was hurt most of the year. It just got too bad to continue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom