Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I'm not buying that Maliq was sincerely told he had a shot at being a starting Forward and bailed for NIL money or playing time elsewhere. I don't care if an insider or ten say that's the case. Because for that to be the case, that means nothing matters anymore and college sports are dead in the water and there is no point in rooting for any players anymore because we're just dealing with rentals who don't give a darn about their commitment to a school or fanbase, so we shouldn't give a darn about them. As a fan of college sports, I'd like for college sports not to suck and die. If I'm just rooting for orange jerseys, then F it, I'm out.

With that said, this means all eyes are on Bell. I hope he feels the pressure and rises to the occasion. Whether it was by design or default, it appears that he was chosen over Maliq as a starter. I think Donnie committed with an understanding that he would start. This is reasonable. Any idea that he has to come in and 'earn' a starting spot is lip service stuff coaches have to say. So, Bell better be lights out next season. He is/can be a truly elite shooter. Like, #1 in the ACC or even country level elite. He needs to be that.
Bell has already proved he is an elite shooter.

Donnie should be an upgrade at the 4

Lampkins the type of 5 that should allow us to compete.

case closed
Key phrase - “should be.” If he’s not, ohhh boy. You thought the JG3 v JJ discussions were bad, imagine if Donnie comes in and fails to compete at a high level.

Maliq is doing what he thinks is best for Maliq which is his right. Good for him.

However the assumption that the Duke big is going to be all world is a jump similar to Freeman being one and done.

Maliq is going to play some minutes at the 5 at Duke - his hope I'm sure is it isn't a majority of his minutes and it will be easier with guys like Cooper who is a tremendous defender especially in team/help scenarios.

Dasher, I respect you a ton. But this makes zero sense to me. Duke has way more talent than Syracuse overall. If he starts there, he starts here. I like all our expected newcomers (both freshman and transfers), but I think Maliq would or should start over Freeman, unless a starting spot was promised to Donnie in his recruitment. I agree that we need Bell on the floor to start because he’s an elite shooter, and we need a post presence to start so that means Lampkin. That’s just my opinion. I just don’t have faith in freshman being ready to shoulder a huge burden. Maybe Donnie is different. I really hope so. I do think Jyáre as the backup will help alleviate the loss of Maliq.
Guys start on teams that are superior to teams they wouldn't start on in every sport. It't about what need that player provides to that team. Let me give you a example. Back in the late 80's, when we missed out on Kenny Anderson, there were back up pt guards in the country that would have started on a great Syracuse team. We got stuck starting Mike Edwards with a front court of Coleman, Ellis and Owens. All first round picks. Freeman isn't coming here to sit on the bench. Neither is Lampkin. By the way, I am just assuming that Brown will start at Duke because I have heard they don't want to start a all frosh front court.

Last edited:
Key phrase - “should be.” If he’s not, ohhh boy. You thought the JG3 v JJ discussions were bad, imagine if Donnie comes in and fails to compete at a high level.
Maybe we should lay off mcdonalds all americans that are in our reach because we dont want to risk losing forwards from a non tournament team that rebounded impressively poorly

Bell has already proved he is an elite shooter.

Yes. He needs to do that on like 12 threes a game. He needs to be Steph, absent improvement in the other areas of his game which aren’t terribly strong.

There are plenty of minutes for stars who want to win. UCONN players just won a Natty and putting multiple players in the NBA who are not seniors because they were intelligent enough to know the NBA cares about talent not statistics. Whether you play 20 or 38 minutes a game, if you have the skills the NBA will take you.

Guys start on teams that are superior to teams they wouldn't start on in every sport. It't about what need that player provides to that team. Let me give you an example. Back in the late 80's, when we missed out on Kenny Anderson, there were back up pt guards in the country that would have started on a great Syracuse team. We got stuck starting Mike Edwards with a front court of Coleman, Ellis and Owens. All first round picks. Freeman isn't coming here to sit on the bench. Neither is Lampkin. By the way, I am just assuming that Brown will start at Duke because I have heard they don't want to start an all frosh front court.
I get the rationalization, but it’s not a good look that we lose a kid to Duke and he goes there to start. It makes us look minor league. I know I’ve been a bit of ringleader here b!tching and moaning about Maliq leaving, but there’s going to be a major meltdown by a large population of fans when he commits there based on recent discussions I’ve had. There’s going to be big pressure on Red to win this year. And what I mean by that is safely in the tournament.

That was one of his options and the Coaches preference. He chose otherwise, we got a replacement. That ship has sailed.

The role he was offered is what we’re in the dark about. As always, people have that info but can’t/wont share with the class.

The role he was offered is what we’re in the dark about. As always, people have that info but can’t/wont share with the class.

How does that specific information change anything?

He's a good player, the type that does a bunch of things very well but doesn't jump off the page as a star. Because of his skillset and versatility he could fit in as a major contributor on almost any frontcourt in the nation. He has the ability to fill multiple roles. Likely, where ever he plays next season his role will change and morph as the season goes along and the teams front court needs change. That to me his greatest value. That would have been his role at SU as it will be elsewhere no matter what teams tell him.

people need to get over this kid..he doesn't care about syracuse. You shouldn't care about him. Put your energy towards the kids that actually want to be a part of this program.

This is definitely the vibe we need when we’re basically praying that *checks notes* Dakota Leffew commits to be our PG.

Do I get to be upset when he’s playing on Duke and wrecking our stuff? Is that cool?

Dasher, I respect you a ton. But this makes zero sense to me. Duke has way more talent than Syracuse overall. If he starts there, he starts here. I like all our expected newcomers (both freshman and transfers), but I think Maliq would or should start over Freeman, unless a starting spot was promised to Donnie in his recruitment. I agree that we need Bell on the floor to start because he’s an elite shooter, and we need a post presence to start so that means Lampkin. That’s just my opinion. I just don’t have faith in freshman being ready to shoulder a huge burden. Maybe Donnie is different. I really hope so. I do think Jyáre as the backup will help alleviate the loss of Maliq.
By the way, you are totally free to disagree with me. I love a good debate. It's just when someone is out and out disrespectful, whether to me or anyone else that I don't like. And that is never you.

How does that specific information change anything?

He's a good player, the type that does a bunch of things very well but doesn't jump off the page as a star. Because of his skillset and versatility he could fit in as a major contributor on almost any frontcourt in the nation. He has the ability to fill multiple roles. Likely, where ever he plays next season his role will change and morph as the season goes along and the teams front court needs change. That to me his greatest value. That would have been his role at SU as it will be elsewhere no matter what teams tell him.

It matters, to me at least, because coaches might prefer that a guy stay but if they offer him a turd sandwich and he declines, that’s not on him.

Can we assume he was offered the same role he’ll have elsewhere? Can we assume the coaches liked the other two Forwards more? Can we assume this is an NIL play? In the end, it’s like that one line from Major League, “Who cares? It’s gone.” But I do care. The reason matters because I’m still trying to figure out if the program is making the right steps or fighting for air with its head in its butt.

I get the rationalization, but it’s not a good look that we lose a kid to Duke and he goes there to start. It makes us look minor league. I know I’ve been a bit of ringleader here b!tching and moaning about Maliq leaving, but there’s going to be a major meltdown by a large population of fans when he commits there based on recent discussions I’ve had. There’s going to be big pressure on Red to win this year. And what I mean by that is safely in the tournament.
It makes us look minor league because a kid that wouldn't start here goes to Duke and starts? Hmmm If we get a good pt guard, we will be better next year. If we don't, we could bring back 5 Malik Browns and it wouldn't matter. If we get a good pt guard, we will be a more enjoyable team to watch as well.

people need to get over this kid..he doesn't care about syracuse. You shouldn't care about him. Put your energy towards the kids that actually want to be a part of this program.
…. Until they leave too. Right?

Because with 100% certainly I can tell you that players on the 24-25 team won’t be on the 25-26 team.

It matters, to me at least, because coaches might prefer that a guy stay but if they offer him a turd sandwich and he declines, that’s not on him.

Can we assume he was offered the same role he’ll have elsewhere? Can we assume the coaches liked the other two Forwards more? Can we assume this is an NIL play? In the end, it’s like that one line from Major League, “Who cares? It’s gone.” But I do care. The reason matters because I’m still trying to figure out if the program is making the right steps or fighting for air with its head in its butt.
Okay. Your choice. You can have Malik Brown back or you can have one of these three players leave or not come. Freeman, Lamkin or Bell. If you keep Brown and you keep him by making him a starter, do you take that with one of the other three leaving?

It makes us look minor league because a kid that wouldn't start here goes to Duke and starts? Hmmm If we get a good pt guard, we will be better next year. If we don't, we could bring back 5 Malik Browns and it wouldn't matter. If we geta good pt guard, we will be a more enjoyable team to watch as well.
I agree a point guard is a must. Lets hope that happens because it's the key to everything.

I am a big Maliq fan and I am upset that he has portaled. But, there comes a time when we have to hold the program accountable and see things from the player's perspective. Maliq is talented enough to be a starting power forward on any major D1 team (yes, even Duke with its annual 5 star freshman forwards who are unproven at the collegiate level, along with Kentucky, Kansas etc., who all have learned that it takes solid veteran players to take teams far into or win the tournament).
Maliq is in a position that many Syracuse forwards the past decade has been in (having to play out of position at center for the majority of their minutes on the court as opposed to when the team is in a pinch). This has hurt many forwards ability to grow and showcase their talents as forwards and put them in a bad light (foul trouble - thus limited minutes, looking weak defensively against legit centers etc.).
Duke has 2 five star freshman centers coming in, so Scheyer can guarantee Maliq that he will be starting and playing power forward all or a majority of his minutes. Also, Flagg is a generational talent who will make every one on the court better. Maliq's experience will balance the team which is losing quite a few veteran players to the draft or portal.
As much as I hate it, unlike Jordan Tucker's situation, Duke will be a very good fit for Maliq as he will be able to play his natural position which will help his draft position, as he is a viable NBA player.

I'm not trying to be rude but again how does that specific information change anything? (other than how you feel about it) No matter what we talked to Malik about, what other teams have told him or what he thinks, I suspect his role will be the same at any high major he plays at that has a legit center. Maybe he starts one place and not another but he will play the same role in the end.

If he left because of role, I don't know whet to tell you.
If he left because Duke or some other power player can pay him more, well that's always going to be the case.
If he left because he doesn't think he can have a big role with guys we have here, that says a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom