Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Most elite shooter in college basketball?
He is a really good shooter, but best in college basketball. Stop with the hyperbole.
He's in the discussion whether you want to believe it or not.

He's in the discussion whether you want to believe it or not.
I’m sure he’s in the discussion in Syracuse circles, I doubt anyone even mentions his name nationwide. Just looked up the stats for last year 12 guys are in front of him % wise with 60+ makes. And JG3 is only a few spots behind him.

I am a big Maliq fan and I am upset that he has portaled. But, there comes a time when we have to hold the program accountable and see things from the player's perspective. Maliq is talented enough to be a starting power forward on any major D1 team (yes, even Duke with its annual 5 star freshman forwards who are unproven at the collegiate level, along with Kentucky, Kansas etc., who all have learned that it takes solid veteran players to take teams far into or win the tournament).
Maliq is in a position that many Syracuse forwards the past decade has been in (having to play out of position at center for the majority of their minutes on the court as opposed to when the team is in a pinch). This has hurt many forwards ability to grow and showcase their talents as forwards and put them in a bad light (foul trouble - thus limited minutes, looking weak defensively against legit centers etc.).
Duke has 2 five star freshman centers coming in, so Scheyer can guarantee Maliq that he will be starting and playing power forward all or a majority of his minutes. Also, Flagg is a generational talent who will make every one on the court better. Maliq's experience will balance the team which is losing quite a few veteran players to the draft or portal.
As much as I hate it, unlike Jordan Tucker's situation, Duke will be a very good fit for Maliq as he will be able to play his natural position which will help his draft position, as he is a viable NBA player.
Well said up until the Cooper Flagg is a generational talent. That’s just an absurd comment at this point. Maybe 20 years ago he would’ve been but this 2024 and the competition is real. Dozen other teams think they have a generational talent this year of next year coming. Also if he really is then he’ll be gone in one year.

"This might be a hot take, but I’d prefer Brown and Freeman over Bell and Freeman."

bell is either 7-8 or 0-8. wildly inconsistent. and when he's cold you're going down.
compound that with his lack of defensive effort...give me maliq at the 4 ! major loss for the cuse. is freeman better ? ain't proved it yet. shoulda let them battle it out. or play both .
This actually makes my point that keeping Bell and Freeman + Lampkin was the right choice. 8-9 from 3 on the road straight up won us a major road ACC game on Bells back alone. Let’s not forget that same team ended up in the final 4 a month later so it’s not like they were a bottom feeder either. Earlier in the year his shooting kept our season from getting nipped before it even started with Colgate. Then a few other games where he hit critical baskets. Bell can win games with his shooting, Brown just can’t. In a league where a road win or two can be the difference between the tourney or not you take that all day. Let’s just say Bell does go 0-6 and gets the yank. Autry is looking at a deep bench of SF’s that can come in and hoop.

Ideally we told Brown to name his price to be a role guy off the bench or compete for that starting spot. We needed Brown for his work ethic and steady performances, which hurts. A starting spot was the safer choice for him.

They have the number 12 and 17 players in the class coming in to play that position and last I checked TJ Power is still there too. Two of those guys should ask out of their LOI if he commits. There’s no way all of those guys will be happy.
You were on the button here...Power and Stewart have since have left.

This isn’t as great of a point as some of you listing it as think it is. It’s a bad look for Red that our best player last year per nearly every metric didn’t start until injuries
Speaks the the rest of the roster rather than Brown’ exceptional abilities. He’s a good player who is good around basket. TBD if he can guard away from lane. Not sure he has the lateral quickness. We shall see, and I wish him well. Seems like a fine young man.

Speaks the the rest of the roster rather than Brown’ exceptional abilities. He’s a good player who is good around basket. TBD if he can guard away from lane. Not sure he has the lateral quickness. We shall see, and I wish him well. Seems like a fine young man.

TBD if he can guard away from the lane?

He was an exceptional perimeter defender. Right?

“Because for that to be the case, that means nothing matters anymore and college sports are dead in the water and there is no point in rooting for any players anymore because we're just dealing with rentals who don't give a darn about their commitment to a school or fanbase, so we shouldn't give a darn about them”

Nailed it

Yeah. We'll never root for these guys like we rooted for Leo Rautins, Wes Johnson, Michael Gbinije, Andrew White, John Gillen or JJ Starling. "When you're a jet, you're a jet all the way!"

This thread:
GIF by Groundhog Day

Yeah. We'll never root for these guys like we rooted for Leo Rautins, Wes Johnson, Michael Gbinije, Andrew White, John Gillen or JJ Starling. "When you're a jet, you're a jet all the way!"
There are others. Fred Saunders back in the day. Leron Ellis. Guys who were Orange to their core.

IF this is for Maliq, the fact they'd ditch a former 5 star who played mins for them this year for Maliq, should probably quiet the naysayers. It won't, but it should

Maliq clearly has a great opportunity there - it’s also a Duke team that will be incredibly young and who knows how good they will be losing so much and replacing with mostly freshmen.

I’d be on board with this if we had a track record of elite shooters helping us win. Andrew White was elite. He didn’t help us win. Buddy Boeheim was elite. People refer to his tenure as the worst Syracuse basketball in the history of Syracuse basketball.

The difference between Bell and Maliq this past season was Bell scored 3 more points per game on 4 more shots. They played similar minutes. Brown did everything else significantly better, except turnover rate, while playing out of position.

Maliq was more than just a putback dunk guy and I was looking forward to seeing him get more shots up. On very low volume, admittedly, he did show some ability to shoot threes competently. Donnie Freeman is able to hit threes. Neither are Bell-level, but Bell isn’t them-level, at least not Brown-level, at any of the other basketball stuff.

If the staff thinks we need Bell’s shooting above all else, then time will tell if they’re right. I’m clearly skeptical.

Some people don't know the history of Syracuse basketball.

yes, I remember Goodine and Moyer too being touted on this board, so right
Your brain is the issue if you thought any single one of those players was one and done, or believed any smuck who said that.

Maliq will likely regret leaving SU as much as Joe Girard did. :cool:

Joe did go to play with a bunch of other upperclassmen at Clemson. That said if he’s getting paid ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom