Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

From January

I think the forward rotation is going to be an ongoing experiment for the first 10-12 games of the season. That said, if Benny is right (and as you have posted), he and Brown may well start and get the lion's share of forward minutes until either Taylor or Bunch shoots his way onto the floor.

One reason Brown is intriguing, besides shot-blocking and rebounding, is that he has an offensive IQ. If he can adjust quickly enough at the ACC level to see the court and distribute, he could work into a Merek role - like the high-low with Jesse. That could make this a dangerous team.

Last edited:
Benny, Brown, JT, Bunch. Two have to be able to perform at starter level abilities in the ACC and one has to be able to spot backup minutes.

Don’t care how that shakes out. If we don’t hit that threshold, we’re in bad shape.

Would hope it’s Benny based on his having a year and inherent talent that is in there somewhere, but if it’s not, c’est la vie.

Don’t care who starts game one, but I do care that it’s figured out quickly.
As you're alluding to, the key thing coming from Benny's statement is that we have 4 forwards who can play this year. Most of us thought we only had 3 playable forwards. We just got 33% more options at the position which is our biggest question mark. 2 of 4 need to step up instead of 2 of 3. I like that better. It's also a pretty diverse group of talents. Hopefully JB can find the right mix during the light non-con schedule.

Especially when you play 100% zone and thus need two forwards on the court always.

Forward position has probably been the biggest key to the team in the all zone era.
Not even a question. Our success rebounding is almost always good or bad based on the forwards.

That is probably it. But he can't complain with the he isn't ready rant. We should have hit the portal and everyone knows it. Bunch and Taylor might have had to sit a year and if they wanted to leave because of it, well, we would have to hit the portal again next year. Recruiting in the college game has changed. Others are having success with the portal.
Bookmarked.

I fully expect to hear it this year.

As you're alluding to, the key thing coming from Benny's statement is that we have 4 forwards who can play this year. Most of us thought we only had 3 playable forwards. We just got 33% more options at the position which is our biggest question mark. 2 of 4 need to step up instead of 2 of 3. I like that better. It's also a pretty diverse group of talents. Hopefully JB can find the right mix during the light non-con schedule.
I’ve always thought all four forwards would get playing time—at least for the first two months until/if 2 or 3 separate themselves from the pack.

I’ve always thought all four forwards would get playing time—at least for the first two months until/if 2 or 3 separate themselves from the pack.
Obviously none of us believed JB when he said 9-10 guys might be in the rotation, as that flies in the face of his usual habits, but it does seem like it will be difficult to keep these freshmen off the floor. Right now we're looking at 4 forwards (which might get cut down to a main 3 eventually), 2 centers, and definitely 3 guards and maybe 4 guards if Copeland plays well and demands minutes. It's likely Copeland and one forward see reduced playing time as the season progresses, but if they do great and some starters struggle, we may see more of a split than we're used to. Who knows.

Obviously none of us believed JB when he said 9-10 guys might be in the rotation, as that flies in the face of his usual habits, but it does seem like it will be difficult to keep these freshmen off the floor. Right now we're looking at 4 forwards (which might get cut down to a main 3 eventually), 2 centers, and definitely 3 guards and maybe 4 guards if Copeland plays well and demands minutes. It's likely Copeland and one forward see reduced playing time as the season progresses, but if they do great and some starters struggle, we may see more of a split than we're used to. Who knows.

Closest JAB has ever come in my lifetime to playing 9-10 guys was in 2012, when early in the season he’d do subs like a hockey line change, and we’d have 5 bench guys go in for the 5 starters.

But even on that team, MCW ended up riding pine and finished the season with a surprisingly large number of DNP-CD’s.
MCW!!!!

So, that year was effectively a 9 man rotation, once MCW got cut out.

Think about the level and depth of talent that team had!

This year’s team…. Somewhat less so.

So, that’s why I’m not gonna believe that JAB will play more than 7.5 guys during the heart of the ACC season, until I actually see it happen.

Ditto with M2M defense.

I hear you on this. I don't think Maliq is going to be a big scorer. Not this year anyway.

But...what if Bunch and Taylor are not able to shoot from the outside as frosh? What if they struggle to score period their first year of college basketball?

From what I hear, Maliq is our best defensive forward already. By quite a large margin.

I am confident he is our best rebounder at forward. By a large margin.

He is our best shot blocker at forward. By a large margin.

And I think he is our best passing forward. By a large margin.

He does a lot of things that help a team win. That tends to result in more playing time.

Note that I am not saying Maliq is starting. I don't know and won't have an opinion until I see the team actually play in that tip off thing and the two exhibitions.

But if he does, I think it will be because of the things noted above.
Sounds like Dolezaj.

Closest JAB has ever come in my lifetime to playing 9-10 guys was in 2012, when early in the season he’d do subs like a hockey line change, and we’d have 5 bench guys go in for the 5 starters.

But even on that team, MCW ended up riding pine and finished the season with a surprisingly large number of DNP-CD’s.
MCW!!!!

So, that year was effectively a 9 man rotation, once MCW got cut out.

Think about the level and depth of talent that team had!

This year’s team…. Somewhat less so.

So, that’s why I’m not gonna believe that JAB will play more than 7.5 guys during the heart of the ACC season, until I actually see it happen.

Ditto with M2M defense.
I don't disagree!

I don’t think the issue is that the freshman forwards will be “difficult to keep off the floor.” I think the issue is trying to find 2-3 players to actually give consistent minutes to and put into the rotation. I really worry that all the forwards are going to struggle and suffer from inconsistency and JB is going to lose his mind trying to find a combo that works. I see lots of subbing in and out for “mistakes.” It’s like the 2017-18 season when Oshae played the small forward spot as a freshman (and had his own issues but could at least score), but we struggled to find a solution at the other forward spot, rotating Moyer and Marek in there. Marek finally took a step forward at the end of freshman year and could hit that mid-range jumper and play consistent D. I’m hoping these guys at least prove adept at picking up the zone, and that defense and rim protection is our strength. I think Benny has to make a big leap at forward at for us to be good. Or Bunch or Taylor have to be a big surprise.

Last edited:
Is Maliq Brown hurt? How is he getting zero minutes? Makes no sense unless he is injured, in doghouse, or being disciplined for something. I have no clue. Wondering if anyone does...
Rumor is he may have a nagging injury.

Copeland isn’t playing either.

Could just be JB shortening his rotation per usual and he trusts JBA over the freshman at the moment.

Copeland brings energy but little else. He can’t shoot or play defense. I’m not sure why fans are so enamored with his play. He’s a turnover waiting to happen. He can dribble and is an excellent passer to the other team.

Rumor is he may have a nagging injury.

Copeland isn’t playing either.

Could just be JB shortening his rotation per usual and he trusts JBA over the freshman at the moment.
Brown is not hurt.

AKOK does some things.. he moves the ball around, he passes., he sets screens and he provides some length in the zone by being active. scoring / rebounding not so much.. But if Bell isnt hitting 3s he doesnt do much of any of that either.

Saw him play high school - I don't think this kid is ready at an ACC level for a real diet of minutes. Which is fine.
Disagree.
He looked more composed and college ready than Benny, and I actually like Benny.
It always boggles the mind how as soon as JB decides to banish a player to pine-time the excuses start coming out; “he’s not ready”, “out of shape”, “attitude”, etc etc. Only when forced to do so will JB change the rotation, and we’ll all get to repeat the now familiar refrain: “ Why wasn’t this guy playing before”? SMDH

I really wonder what people would think if they really knew the reasons for why JB plays people over others.. pretty clear he gives you time based on what you earn in practice and now what random fans on a message board who have never coached think.,

I really wonder what people would think if they really knew the reasons for why JB plays people over others.. pretty clear he gives you time based on what you earn in practice and now what random fans on a message board who have never coached think.,
Does what you do in a game count?

Because per minute, Brown has been our most productive forward.

Its really hard to fathom that kids dont want to rebound and yet you see it all the time. If Edwards was a bit stronger he could get 20 a game and is doing much of that now. But at least he goes after them. I wonder if we would go 2 bigs when the backup gets over his injury. if the forwards cant shoot or rebound then put Edwards out there a bit at the 4 and see what we can do.. if AKOK would rebound a bit we could go 3 bigs.

My assessment of the forward situation. Benny being a sophomore, despite his inconsistencies, especially on the offensive end is getting the starting position by default.

Of the freshman, JB to his credit, is giving all them a shot. Bunch has tantalizing potential at the offensive end but is just a catch and shoot kind of forward, that is not there yet with his shooting and is limited in the one area that JB wants to see, rebounding. JB is giving him every opportunity to win the job but it doesn't seem to be working out.

Copeland is an intriguing prospect but not really a forward. Unique vision but can't space the floor with a jump shot. If he improves his shot next year he and Mintz could be a solid pair in the back court.

Taylor seems to be grabbing the minutes. His outside shooting and shot selection, like Bunch is erratic but his form would indicate it is just a matter of time to when that comes around. Most likely will be up and down all season but when he is on his A game it's a huge plus for the team. He is beginning to look more comfortable in is role and has some nice skills. His rebounding has been a much needed plus.

Jon Bol is probably surprising everyone. JB appears to have confidence in him because he is grabbing a lot of minutes. Very limited on the offensive end but his overall length and energy really is helpful in the zone. If he could only rebound effectively and contribute a little on offense. He's my favorite ever since I met him in HS. His running mate in HS is an emerging star at Duke and likely first round pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom