Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

It’s funny because last season everyone thought Benny didn’t play enough. He’s shooting 38% from the forward position and less than 5 rebounds a game. Based on yesterdays presser it feels like JB is rapidly running out of patience with him. I guess we need to see how it plays out, because I suspect there will be changes if we don’t improve on the glass outside of Edwards.
If anyone DVR’s the game go back and just watch Benny. Not only is he bad with the ball, he’s lost out there off ball too. Not much movement. Not good at finding space besides when he camps out past the three line because everyone knows he’s zero threat out there. He doesn’t attack the basket when the balls it the air. He is literally dead weight on offense.

I’m not a Benny fan as of now. He needs a fire lit under him or yank his time.

If anyone DVR’s the game go back and just watch Benny. Not only is he bad with the ball, he’s lost out there off ball too. Not much movement. Not good at finding space besides when he camps out past the three line because everyone knows he’s zero threat out there. He doesn’t attack the basket when the balls it the air. He is literally dead weight on offense.

I don’t think it’s an effort type of thing. I think he has a terrible feel for the game. Much like Terrence Roberts did, but worse.

I don’t think it’s an effort type of thing. I think he has a terrible feel for the game. Much like Terrence Roberts did, but worse.
Yes. And the game is still moving too fast. Although if you ran the same DVR review on Bol it’s about the same. I don’t get the rotations at all

Regarding whether Malik is/was injured, can someone look at this presser after the Bryant game? Fast forward to the 5:00 mark someone asked JB someone status, I couldn't make out the name, JB said "he says it hurts" and he doesn't know when he will be back...were they asking about Malik?

Regarding whether Malik is/was injured, can someone look at this presser after the Bryant game? Fast forward to the 5:00 mark someone asked JB someone status, I couldn't make out the name, JB said "he says it hurts" and he doesn't know when he will be back...were they asking about Malik?

Hima.

I would like to see Maliq get a shot, JB has stated we need Chris Bell to rebound, but he keeps starting him, I'm not a Bell fan, goes to his spots and waits for the ball and his shot looks like a "set shot" this his power 5 BB, need to have more to your game.
JB has also stated that Benny wants to be a "3" but we need him to be a 4, start Maliq and give Benny his look, I think Maliq certainly can offer more than JBA. But JB has to stop saying we need Chris to rebound, because this season unlike others he has roster depth and flexibility.

Without him, they lose the game at Notre Dame. If he can hit some shots from the free throw area and get some boards, he will be a huge net+.
He has proven that he can’t shoot or rebound.

BLowouts ,Blowouts where can we see these BLOWOUTS.
Illinois game? Didn't see it say blowout wins, just blowouts. There will be a few on our schedule when the season is concluded.

Wish bennys 3 dropped at end of game was in/out he needs confIdence. No idea why he does not drive to the hoop or post up at his size? Not writing him off as he seems like a late bloomer and next year or Sr. year could blowup.

I suspect JBA is playing because he knows the zone and does a great job at setting up the rest of the guys with his passing. No doubt Brown has much higher upside, but I suspect neither of this attributes are strengths of his.
I think JBA is playing because Benny has not shown himself to deserve starter minutes.

He doesn't know how to play and has no feel for the game. It fascinates me that he was so highly rated.

I suspect JBA is playing because he knows the zone and does a great job at setting up the rest of the guys with his passing. No doubt Brown has much higher upside, but I suspect neither of this attributes are strengths of his.
I guess you haven’t seen him pass.

I kind of get Copeland not playing. Our turnovers are extremely low. We need to keep it that way if we have any chance of winning because we can’t shoot. Blowouts sure.

He's in the tough position of being the fourth guard in the three-guard rotation JB universally prefers.

Wish bennys 3 dropped at end of game was in/out he needs confIdence. No idea why he does not drive to the hoop or post up at his size? Not writing him off as he seems like a late bloomer and next year or Sr. year could blowup.
He struggles driving because he has poor footwork. He needs work on a quickstep and crossover. He plays too high and needs to get lower. There’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to drive. Put him in front of a chair at the foul line and have him drive left and right using a quickstep and crossover moves. He should be able to drive with one dribble and dunk.

It’s funny because last season everyone thought Benny didn’t play enough. He’s shooting 38% from the forward position and less than 5 rebounds a game. Based on yesterdays presser it feels like JB is rapidly running out of patience with him. I guess we need to see how it plays out, because I suspect there will be changes if we don’t improve on the glass outside of Edwards.
That’s the thing…it made sense that Williams didn’t play much last year. I think even his biggest defenders recognize that now.

With Brown, it’s a complete mystery. If he’s not hurt and if he hasn’t made any noticeable mistakes in games, then he’s either taking an Iverson-like approach to practice or he pulled a Newton. (As long as JB’s going to be tight-lipped and as long as the media isn’t going to bother to ask, all we can do is speculate.)

I guess you haven’t seen him pass.
Had 4 assists yesterday. Setup Girard on two back door cuts yesterday and gets the ball to Edwards. Did a decent job against Bryant too passing.

I’m not a fanboy of his or anything, but that’s why he’s playing.

The fact that even the thought of playing JBA actual minutes crosses JB’s mind says volumes about our recruiting

So, he plays a few games, shows some flashes, and is rewarded with a seat on the bench? Typical. SMDH
Brown was not even a Top 200 recruit (241 by one prominent service). Great measureables, above average athleticism but clearly a bit of a project. A lot of feedback on the recruiting forum decrying our need to settle for Plan B and Plan C level recruits at the time.
And now we thing it's a travesty that he isn't playing more? Don't get me wrong. I think in time Maliq will be a serviceable player for us. But seeing Benny, and even JBA play in front of him early in his freshman year isn't all that egregious IMHO.

Brown was not even a Top 200 recruit (241 by one prominent service). Great measureables, above average athleticism but clearly a bit of a project. A lot of feedback on the recruiting forum decrying our need to settle for Plan B and Plan C level recruits at the time.
And now we thing it's a travesty that he isn't playing more? Don't get me wrong. I think in time Maliq will be a serviceable player for us. But seeing Benny, and even JBA play in front of him early in his freshman year isn't all that egregious IMHO.

….but he looked good in there. Better than Benny or Ajak ever have.

Had 4 assists yesterday. Setup Girard on two back door cuts yesterday and gets the ball to Edwards. Did a decent job against Bryant too passing.

I’m not a fanboy of his or anything, but that’s why he’s playing.
I was talking about Brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom