Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

….but he looked good in there. Better than Benny or Ajak ever have.
I agree he has shown promise. But most of it has been in games against Northeastern and Lehigh. I know people don't want to hear it, but we don't know how he has performed in practice either. And with the inconsistency the players in front of him on the depth chaert have exhibited there may be a larger role for him. Hopefully he will get an opportunity in the next few games to get on the court and we get a better feel for where he is as a player.

Brown was not even a Top 200 recruit (241 by one prominent service). Great measureables, above average athleticism but clearly a bit of a project. A lot of feedback on the recruiting forum decrying our need to settle for Plan B and Plan C level recruits at the time.
And now we thing it's a travesty that he isn't playing more? Don't get me wrong. I think in time Maliq will be a serviceable player for us. But seeing Benny, and even JBA play in front of him early in his freshman year isn't all that egregious IMHO.
I don’t think it’s clear that he’s a bit of a project. He’s a better rebounder and passer than Williams and JBA. His basketball IQ is higher than both. He’s a better scorer down low.

Williams is more athletic and JBA is a veteran. That’s all they have on Brown.

Taylor and Brown should be the starting forwards.

….but he looked good in there. Better than Benny or Ajak ever have.

Agreed 144%.

Granted, I’m only 5’10”, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite -
but IMHO Brown is no worse than the 2nd best Forward we have on the roster currently, with only JT a smidge ahead of him due to his shooting.

Benny just doesn’t bring much, given all the minutes he’s gotten, with few exceptions.

Quadir is a guard, but that said, IF JAB won’t play him as the 4th guard (he’s really no worse than 3b, if we’re calling Symir 3a), then he deserves at least a few minutes a game at Forward.
He’s got a better handle than any of the others, is a willing (if somewhat wild) passer, decent rebounder (who gives solid effort there) and a surprisingly decent defender given his HS film.

Bell is a 1-trick pony, and even IF his shot is falling, his lack of D and ZERO rebounding or passing make him a net-negative more often than not.
So far, he’s not Southy2.0, he’s Mookie2.0.

Brown gives me major Frosh CJ Fair vibes.
He’s physically ready for P5 play.
He’s a plus defender and rebounder.
And he’s got that knack for being in the right place at the right time.

In HS he was a pretty decent passer, so it’s not like JBA is Draymond and Maliq is Mookie.

I agree with RF that unless he’s injured, or some sorta practice / locker room cancer, then there’s no reason he shouldn’t be earning at least some minutes over every other forward.

I agree he has shown promise. But most of it has been in games against Northeastern and Lehigh. I know people don't want to hear it, but we don't know how he has performed in practice either. And with the inconsistency the players in front of him on the depth chaert have exhibited there may be a larger role for him. Hopefully he will get an opportunity in the next few games to get on the court and we get a better feel for where he is as a player.
I understood and defended the treatment of Newton, Voldemort, Edwards, and Williams. With Brown…I don’t get it. All I can say is it’s early enough in the season where the reason hasn’t leaked yet.

Your last sentence says it all. No one, and certainly not me, is asking for 30 mins per game, but to get nothing, nada, zip, ziltch? That does not bode well for a nonportal future.
I mean it took Benny getting sick for Justin Taylor to get some run, and he’s shown he’s a good player. I guarantee you if godforbid JBA or Benny is sidelined again & JB is “forced” to use Malik, we’ll all be asking why he hasn’t been playing more.
I have absolutely no faith in JB’s bench PT allotment. Its been confusing, contradictory, frustrating, and downright incomprehensible at times. I see this Malik situation as just more of the same.

Your last sentence says it all. No one, and certainly not me, is asking for 30 mins per game, but to get nothing, nada, zip, ziltch? That does not bode well for a nonportal future.
I mean it took Benny getting sick for Justin Taylor to get some run, and he’s shown he’s a good player. I guarantee you if godforbid JBA or Benny is sidelined again & JB is “forced” to use Malik, we’ll all be asking why he hasn’t been playing more.
I have absolutely no faith in JB’s bench PT allotment. Its been confusing, contradictory, frustrating, and downright incomprehensible at times. I see this Malik situation as just more of the same.
I'm just assuming there was a reason he was ranked #241 in his class and that his overall skill level and performance in practice has more to do with him not seeing minutes in close games than JB's incompetence as a coach.

I was talking about Brown.
Based on his HS tapes (granted, that's an immediate "take it with a grain of salt" qualifier), Brown's passing and court awareness (at both ends) jumped off the page to me. He just seemed to have a knack for knowing where to be and what to do. I have no idea why he isn't getting more run, but when, or if he does, I think this part of his game will be more obvious.

I'm just assuming there was a reason he was ranked #241 in his class and that his overall skill level and performance in practice has more to do with him not seeing minutes in close games than JB's incompetence as a coach.
But then you can’t really believe this to be the greatest recruiting class in history , if one of the guys is so putrid he can’t even get on the court over someone whose rebounding skills are nonexistent

Based on his HS tapes (granted, that's an immediate "take it with a grain of salt" qualifier), Brown's passing and court awareness (at both ends) jumped off the page to me. He just seemed to have a knack for knowing where to be and what to do. I have no idea why he isn't getting more run, but when, or if he does, I think this part of his game will be more obvious.
He’s had at least two outlet passes in games this year that our forwards usually can’t make. His vision in the half-court is just as good.

That pass JBA made out of the time out yesterday…Brown is fully capable of doing that. He’s like a Dolezaj who can finish down low.

More speculation: While Brown appears to be healthy now, he did have that hip issue earlier in the year. Maybe JB thinks he isn’t tough enough because he didn’t play through it? Or that he isn’t strong enough and potentially injury prone?

He’s had at least two outlet passes in games this year that our forwards usually can’t make. His vision in the half-court is just as good.

That pass JBA made out of the time out yesterday…Brown is fully capable of doing that. He’s like a Dolezaj who can finish down low.
To be fully transparent, I will admit I have been very surprised with how well JBA passes. To me, he is all hustle and enthusiasm and effort and length. I haven't seen enough of a skill set, or the physical coordination, to think JBA would ever be getting the minutes that he does.

There is enough tape out there now for ACC teams to realize that they can use his defender to stay in the lane, or double down on Jesse, or double all on-ball screens.

To be fully transparent, I will admit I have been very surprised with how well JBA passes. To me, he is all hustle and enthusiasm and effort and length. I haven't seen enough of a skill set, or the physical coordination, to think JBA would ever be getting the minutes that he does.

There is enough tape out there now for ACC teams to that they can use his defender to stay in the lane, or double down on Jesse, or double all on-ball screens.
JB has to see that. That was Brey’s adjustment in the second half.

I'd bet JB is thrilled that teams have not adjusted yet to JBA's limitations prior to Brey (good coach).

Despite the pregame thoughts on ND's experience and shooting (all true), ND is a good match up for us because of the way they defend without pressuring the ball and their problems defending the post.

Thrilled with the win - much needed. Unlike ND, most ACC teams will be able to defend us differently. Our season will depend primarily on how well we adjust to pressure and develop on offense.

If they are going to drop JBA’s man into the lane, then use him as a screener for Joe. The defender can’t do both.

Another question that could be asked is, why is Benny playing over Brown? I would suspect that “perimeter defense” would be the only accurate answer, though maybe they also feel he still offers more perimeter offensive potential too?

It’s just weird that every other forward is in there, but the forward who probably did the most things in the first few games can’t get on the court despite an overall huge lack of production at forward.

I’d offer that perhaps in these forward’s “good” games, they don’t need to play an entire half without coming out because ultimately they really aren’t doing all that much out there.
Benny to me is the only forward I consider to be a lock for playing time. His theoretical ceiling Is so much higher than Brown’s and he’s been playing decently well IMO. I’d like to see Brown get some minutes to see if he can build off what he did in the earlier games but Benny is rightfully playing ahead of him IMO.

To me, Benny and Taylor should be the starting forwards and Bell/Brown spell them and potentially play more if they’re rolling in a given game.

I don’t think it’s clear that he’s a bit of a project. He’s a better rebounder and passer than Williams and JBA. His basketball IQ is higher than both. He’s a better scorer down low.

Williams is more athletic and JBA is a veteran. That’s all they have on Brown.

Taylor and Brown should be the starting forwards.
I see we’re beating this horse. Brown does a lot of the little things right. I think he can develop into a really solid player. I like his long term potential. But he needs seasoning, gives us zero outside shooting, is considerably less athletic than Benny and is still learning the zone rotations. Should he play over Ajak? Maybe. But I’m assuming JB doesn’t think his zone defense is good enough yet. Day, this isn’t directed only at you, but there’s a huge contingent of folks on this board, on Twitter, etc., that are living in the fantasy that there’s some secret answer-to-all-our-problems sitting on the bench that JB has just failed to see and left untapped. JB is at fault for this situation, but the reason is not because he’s failing to see an option on the bench that the rest of you do. It’s because for several years now he’s failed at recruiting and building a roster that can compete for the top 4-5 in the conference.

Last edited:
I see we’re beating this horse. Brown does a lot of the little things right. I think he can develop into a really solid player. I like his long term potential. But he needs seasoning, gives us zero outside shooting, is considerably less athletic than Benny and is still learning the zone rotations. Should he play over Ajak? Maybe. but I’m assuming JB doesn’t think his zone defense is good enough yet. Day, this isn’t directed only at you, but there’s a huge contingent of folks on this board, on Twitter, etc., that are living in the fantasy that there’s some secret answer-to-all-our-problems sitting on the bench that JB has just failed to see and left untapped. I can assure you that’s not the case. JB is at fault for this situation, but the reason is not because he’s failing to see an option on the bench that the rest of you do. It’s because for several years now he’s failed at recruiting and building a roster that can compete for the top 4-5 in the conference.
I’m trying to find where Benny’s “athletic ability” actually translates to anything on the court?

Brown is the only one I remember playing the passing lanes and stealing a pass and taking it down for a dunk.

Benny jumps higher on missed jump shots, I guess.

Taylor didn’t even play until Judah got thrown out.

And Joe started over Kadary. Jesse didn’t even play as a soph while 165 pound Marek was at center. I’m no longer trusting that JB knows who should be out there.

Play Hima at PF.

Last edited:
Its very hard to count on the development of freshman in today's game. We should expect to lose a few of these freshman at the end of the year. 5 of the last 9 of the freshman we've taken over the past 3 years have transfered out of the program. Its a totally different game then it was 10 yrs ago.

It’s very hard to count on the development of freshman in today's game. We should expect to lose a few of these freshman at the end of the year. 5 of the last 9 of the freshman we've taken over the past 3 years have transfered out of the program. It’s a totally different game then it was 10 yrs ago.
Does that happen everywhere to that extent?

I see we’re beating this horse. Brown does a lot of the little things right. I think he can develop into a really solid player. I like his long term potential. But he needs seasoning, gives us zero outside shooting, is considerably less athletic than Benny and is still learning the zone rotations. Should he play over Ajak? Maybe. but I’m assuming JB doesn’t think his zone defense is good enough yet. Day, this isn’t directed only at you, but there’s a huge contingent of folks on this board, on Twitter, etc., that are living in the fantasy that there’s some secret answer-to-all-our-problems sitting on the bench that JB has just failed to see and left untapped. I can assure you that’s not the case. JB is at fault for this situation, but the reason is not because he’s failing to see an option on the bench that the rest of you do. It’s because for several years now he’s failed at recruiting and building a roster that can compete for the top 4-5 in the conference.
It’s not like Williams and JBA have outside shooting. Maybe you’re right and Brown’s not progressing enough with playing zone.

And it’s not that Brown is the answer to all of our problems. It’s simply that he does a number of things well that Williams and JBA do not (i.e. rebounding and inside scoring). At the very least he should be getting some run.

I’ve been one of JB’s biggest defenders in the past. My belief was that the Buddy years proved to be too much of a distraction for JB to coach effectively and that he would return to normal this year. Before yesterday, it didn’t look like it was going to happen. Some of the other games, though, it was as if JB wasn’t coaching at all. I’m not only talking about the losses. He just stood there in the second half against Richmond.

Speaking of fantasies, JB’s interviews on Thursday were a complete joke. He wasn’t just embellishing or playing loose with the facts. He was flat out lying.

Point is, I’m not as confident in JB seeing what he needs to see as I have been in the past. Yesterday was a good sign. I hope it continues and that JB has the energy and desire for it.

And I hope we get an explanation for Brown.

I’m trying to find where Benny’s “athletic ability” actually translates to anything on the court?

Brown is the only one I remember playing the passing lanes and stealing a pass and taking it down for a dunk.

Benny jumps higher on missed jump shots, I guess.

Taylor didn’t even play until Judah got thrown out.

And Joe started over Kadary. Jesse didn’t even play as a soph while 165 pound Marek was at center. I’m no longer trusting that JB knows who should be out there.
To be fair, there were off-court and long-term concerns with Voldemort. He deserved more minutes, but he was as good as gone and JB knew it.

Edwards really wasn’t ready a couple years ago. He was raw and he wasn’t strong enough or tough enough. He still gets pushed around today and has no chance on offense when his defender is set (or has help). JB always pushes his big men mentally. That’s what I saw with Edwards and JB deserves more credit for his development.

As for Brown, I’m waiting for a rational explanation. At the very least, he deserves more minutes. (I’ll concede I did think Voldemort and Edwards deserved some more PT. Not a ton, but some.)

Pretty sad that we can’t get a guy who has the ability to both make a half decent entry pass and hit a 10 foot open shot 40% of the time

Its very hard to count on the development of freshman in today's game. We should expect to lose a few of these freshman at the end of the year. 5 of the last 9 of the freshman we've taken over the past 3 years have transfered out of the program. Its a totally different game then it was 10 yrs ago.
Is this a rebuild year where records don’t matter or are we trying to make the tournament? If JB feels Brown is expendable and would rather continue with the Williams project, that’s one thing. If he wants to win and needs rebounding and inside scoring from someone other than Edwards, then he’s got a guy on the bench who looks the part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom