Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must feel the same way about our incoming transfers? As much as it sucks it’s a new world.
I havent seen quotes like that from our incoming transfers. Its very easy to just say you’re attracted to the tradition and opportunity at Duke. If what he says betrays his mentality and self, then that is his own fault.

He said he was coming back and then didn't. Wants winning culture but doesn't have winning mentality.

And rather than being part of the solution and helping to transform the culture as a leader, he headed out the door.

Not a leader. If you can’t help build it, take the easy way and money.
Just wondering if you guys think that Lampkin, Davis, Carlos, and Taylor (and JJ, Chance ) are not "leaders" and don't have winning mentalities. Because, you know, they also "headed out the door," bailed on their programs, and took "the easy way and money."

These guys (and coaches) all took advantage of the system that is the new reality. Good, bad, or indifferent.

ouch..says something about the make-up of last year's team. Solidifies the notion we had some malcontents.
Though I hate the fact that Maliq left us and chose Duke of all programs, I empathize with him as the team we had last year was not a well put together team and players were not all in. He might not get starter minutes but he will not be playing out of position and will be able to display his strengths.

Just wondering if you guys think that Lampkin, Davis, Carlos, and Taylor (and JJ, Chance ) are not "leaders" and don't have winning mentalities. Because, you know, they also "headed out the door," bailed on their programs, and took "the easy way and money."

These guys (and coaches) all took advantage of the system that is the new reality. Good, bad, or indifferent.
I responded to a similar comment above. Its one thing to leave, its another to talk down about the program you left whether directly or indirectly. These “kids” are paid well and can be held accountable for what they say.

On the court he’s a hard worker and glue guy that can help most teams.

The team last year was a mess. We all know that. Boeheim’s lack of recruiting effort limited the staff in their ability to pull in prospects that were good syracuse prospects vs guys that may give us a shot to compete.

We all saw what happened on the court, and have heard some of what happened off.

Mintz, Benny and Copeland are gone. Red’s now reshaping the team to how he knows Syracuse should be. Hard workers and grinders. Guys that hate losing more than they love seeing their fancy layup or pass highlights after 15 point losses.

We wanted Maliq to stay. We’d be better if he had. No one can blame him for why he left. My issue is what he’s said after the fact.

Davis may well be a better “all around” players. He’s a lot better offensively. We’ll see if he can defend in the ACC. He certainly has the body to bang with guys.

Davis may well be a better “all around” players. He’s a lot better offensively. We’ll see if he can defend in the ACC. He certainly has the body to bang with guys.
Regardless of anything else it isn't a good look to bad mouth someone on your way out the door. But you never know in the context of the question that was asked, that might have caused the reply that he made.

My guess is 15 mpg and 6/4/1 is his stat line. He probably plays more early on and then once all the youth starts to get comfortable that dips. I also think he transfers again. Could see Taylor boosting his stock some and he and Maliq reunite at UVA

I'll take that bet.

“So Maliq, why did you choose Duke?”

“I was in a bad place. Coach Red was remaking the team, my best friend was encouraged to find another team, we had Donnie Freeman coming in to play the 4, and I may have had to play some 5 again. Oh, and Coach Scheyer gave me a call before I entered the portal and offered some solid six figures. I chose the money.”

Davis may well be a better “all around” players. He’s a lot better offensively.

Brown - 2.3 offensive rebounds a game. Got 6 shots a game and still averaged nearly 10 pts a game. At Syracuse. In the ACC

Davis - 1.6 offensive rebounds. Shot 25 percent from 3 and shot 13.4 shots a game at Delaware. Delaware.

To say he’s a lot better offensively because he showed some post moves at Delaware and shot a couple more 3s at an inefficient clip is so silly it blows my mind.

Davis’ skills will help the team this year, but there’s no need to make stuff up

These players have a brief window as college athletes in a rapidly changing environment. Their decisions can't be easy right now, and there probably is no 'right answer' for most of them, but only several viable choices, all of which come with some level of risk. To wish failure for any of these people because they didn't make the decision you wanted seems monumentally stupid.

Did any of those guys take shots on the way out? Did any of those guys say they were coming back and then flip a week later? Because if they did id question their character. There's one guy you named that's coming here that I have serious concerns in that regard. More will be revealed, but these GUYS, no longer kids, are making 6 figures to play basketball. So they get to get critiqued in a different way now.

Yeah everyone needs to get out of their feelings about this stuff. You think Delaware fans are thrilled we took their best player?
CBB is in a terrible spot right now. Most teams are being torn apart and need to rebuild from almost ground zero every year. And it's going to be worse when CBB expands to 15 schollies a year.

And the worst part about is that F Yukon is the team most others want to emulate. They are the bluest of bluebloods.

You must feel the same way about our incoming transfers? As much as it sucks it’s a new world.
This isn't a player going from Delaware, using a bonus year, to play P5 or a player from Notre Dame going going to play for his hometown team. This is a player from a 20 win team in a P5 conference, that was a starter who was going to start again on what many to believe will be a much improved team, AND he was going to play a more natural position. On top of that, he said he was coming back, and then went back on that word. You might not care, but not everything is black and white, nor should every transfer be viewed the same. That's my opinion, obviously you have yours. But I'm not mad at Justin Taylor, he went to a level where he's going to thrive. Maliq was in a position to be a real leader on a decent to good team.

Brown - 2.3 offensive rebounds a game. Got 6 shots a game and still averaged nearly 10 pts a game. At Syracuse. In the ACC

Davis - 1.6 offensive rebounds. Shot 25 percent from 3 and shot 13.4 shots a game at Delaware. Delaware.

To say he’s a lot better offensively because he showed some post moves at Delaware and shot a couple more 3s at an inefficient clip is so silly it blows my mind.

Davis’ skills will help the team this year, but there’s no need to make stuff up
Davis is a better offensive player than Brown. Brown was great at running the court and playing D, brown was. Ot good at putting the ball on the floor, driving to basket or passing. Comparing apples to oranges. Wish Brown stayed would have given us more options

Elite programs can pile up good players without making promises because guys just want to be there (for example, Quade to Kentucky with Shai already in the fold, Tucker going to Duke when there was no place for him in a strong set rotation and Barrett, Cam, Zion, I believe already committed for the next year). We aren't that kind of program yet so we have to placate and make promises even to 3 star or lesser guys.
We were, for a very small window, but JB couldn’t keep guys like Mike Brown, Rodney Walker, Keith Hughes, Earl Duncan, Richard Manning, etc. JB could never really bring himself to spreading the minutes around.
There was another brief stretch with Dion and MCW, but I don’t recall them being so highly rated that there were expectations for minutes.

This isn't a player going from Delaware, using a bonus year, to play P5 or a player from Notre Dame going going to play for his hometown team. This is a player from a 20 win team in a P5 conference, that was a starter who was going to start again on what many to believe will be a much improved team, AND he was going to play a more natural position. On top of that, he said he was coming back, and then went back on that word. You might not care, but not everything is black and white, nor should every transfer be viewed the same. That's my opinion, obviously you have yours. But I'm not mad at Justin Taylor, he went to a level where he's going to thrive. Maliq was in a position to be a real leader on a decent to good team.
He wasn’t going to start. Period. All you have to do is look at who Red brought in. Also, just look at the talent. Brown is not better than Freeman, as an overall player. He can’t shoot like Chris Bell. He isn’t big like Lampkin.
He would have backed up at the 4/5 and probably gotten 20-25 minutes a night.
I wasn’t there, but I am sure that was the conversation

I said it before but I really felt like last year Brown had a much higher risk of being seriously injured. Luckily he wasn’t. No backup, 40 mins , playing undersized and out of position. Very little help on the defensive end from anyone last year.

Let’s just say end last year he gets hurt playing Louisville late in the year. A team that should’ve never stood a chance twice. All the sudden he’s back to making what 50k in NIL instead of an extra zero on top of that this year at Duke. Like others have said he’ll transfer again his senior year for maybe even a bigger bag with Cuse and Dukes names attached to his resume.

When the call came with all those zero’s anyone with his best interest in mind would’ve said take the bag.

Show me the next time Brown backs someone down and makes a fall away jumper over a 6’10 guy? He can’t. He has no jumper and Davis does. There’s no comparison who has better offensive skills. Put Davis with better players and he will provide valuable production.

Elite programs can pile up good players without making promises because guys just want to be there (for example, Quade to Kentucky with Shai already in the fold, Tucker going to Duke when there was no place for him in a strong set rotation and Barrett, Cam, Zion, I believe already committed for the next year). We aren't that kind of program yet so we have to placate and make promises even to 3 star or lesser guys.
we arent privvy to what coaches think prvately

and to the private conversations that they have with recruits

but i doubt your thesis

look at the baylor team that won the natty...they had 5 guards capable of eing starters

is Baylor really on a higher tier than syracuse in college basketball? were they 5 or 10 years ago?

i thik its been a choice...JB played a short rotation

he didnt recruit past 8 or 9 guys towards the end...recruiting got harder for him as he got older and less in touch with the curent generation players stopped wanting to come...and the winning lessened

but even look at FSU...hamilton usually runs like 11 deep

i think its a cop out to say that SU is incapable of piling up good players...i think theyve chosen not to

but this roster seems to be showing they arent choosing anymore to have a short roster (center position aside)

there will be competiton for playing time 1-4 on this roster...morseo than there has been in a long time

which is a very good thing

Show me the next time Brown backs someone down and makes a fall away jumper over a 6’10 guy? He can’t. He has no jumper and Davis does. There’s no comparison who has better offensive skills. Put Davis with better players and he will provide valuable production.
Because this board equates shooting with offensive skills. I wonder why

Davis is a better offensive player than Brown. Brown was great at running the court and playing D, brown was. Ot good at putting the ball on the floor, driving to basket or passing. Comparing apples to oranges. Wish Brown stayed would have given us more options

Again, Delaware vs Syracuse. Let’s see what he does this year. He’s a great bench option for us. Thrilled to have him. No need to compare him to Brown yet some here insist

He wasn’t going to start. Period. All you have to do is look at who Red brought in. Also, just look at the talent. Brown is not better than Freeman, as an overall player. He can’t shoot like Chris Bell. He isn’t big like Lampkin.
He would have backed up at the 4/5 and probably gotten 20-25 minutes a night.
I wasn’t there, but I am sure that was the conversation
How can you make a definitive statement like that when Maliq was an All ACC defender and we havent seen donnie play a game. Straughn has been quoted saying Maliq is the most important player for what were trying to do. Even Griff said they were ready for him to be the face of the program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom