man this sux to watch year after year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

man this sux to watch year after year

This team is 1 player away from being a top 10 team and your making it sound like the program is a wreck. I stand by my analysis that if Sidibe played they could very well be 10-0 or 9-1. That's not some crazy idea, they had the lead late in all three loses and mainly lost because they couldn't counter those teams bigs. How was the coaching staff to know that Sidibe who finally got healthy at the end of last season was going to get injured again? When Sid comes back, this team will make a move up.
Every team is “one player away.”
Sidibe played last year. Where did we finish?
”A wreck?” Your words. The overall perspective here is somewhat different, but whatever. Syracuse basketball has been irrelevant for a good number of years. When was the last time we were ranked? When was the last time you could find our game listing on ESPN without having to drill down on the menus to search for ACC-specific games?

Following a team of message boards gives you a warped perception of status. We remind ourselves of our ‘potential,’ our hopes, who we remember ourselves as. The real rest of the world doesn’t see any of that. They barely see us at all. No tv highlights—unless we happen to be playing a ‘significant’ team. No ranking. The only publicity we might get is ‘bubble talk’ and none of that is attractive to the most impactful recruits. A solid program can sustain that for a few years, maybe, but at some point, it becomes who you are and the past glory becomes only that.

“How was the coaching staff to know...” that Sid would be injured again? “Know” and expect/predict are two different things. The staff should have expected it enough that this is not a surprise. Likewise, Braswell. If you don’t suspect he might have health issues again at some point, you aren’t doing your job. Either way, the ability to recruit/develop a Center shouldn’t be hinging on whether or not Sidibe is healthy.

Last season, there were 238 games where an unranked team scored 100 or more points against an unranked team. There have 443 team seasons since 2010 where an unranked team scored 100 or more points and beat an unranked team at least twice in a season. The last Syracuse team to do so was 2016-17 when they finished with 15 losses and missed the tournament.

So you expect the blind squirrel to find all of the nuts. Gotcha.
hurr.jpg

We lost a close game on the road to UNC missing our starting center. We didn't score 40 points at Miami.

We actually get these guys again (and Pitt again) and let's see what they learned.
Given that each game has kind of gone the same way, I am not optimistic they have learned/will learn anything.

Last season, there were 238 games where an unranked team scored 100 or more points against an unranked team. There have 443 team seasons since 2010 where an unranked team scored 100 or more points and beat an unranked team at least twice in a season. The last Syracuse team to do so was 2016-17 when they finished with 15 losses and missed the tournament.
Good info, excellent work.

If this is a take on JB being over-it and the systems being ineffective fine, but most of the posts/takes in this thread are whiny, entitled, and overwhelmingly self-important. People need to grow up.
This is your take?

Every team is “one player away.”
Sidibe played last year. Where did we finish?
”A wreck?” Your words. The overall perspective here is somewhat different, but whatever. Syracuse basketball has been irrelevant for a good number of years. When was the last time we were ranked? When was the last time you could find our game listing on ESPN without having to drill down on the menus to search for ACC-specific games?

Following a team of message boards gives you a warped perception of status. We remind ourselves of our ‘potential,’ our hopes, who we remember ourselves as. The real rest of the world doesn’t see any of that. They barely see us at all. No tv highlights—unless we happen to be playing a ‘significant’ team. No ranking. The only publicity we might get is ‘bubble talk’ and none of that is attractive to the most impactful recruits. A solid program can sustain that for a few years, maybe, but at some point, it becomes who you are and the past glory becomes only that.

“How was the coaching staff to know...” that Sid would be injured again? “Know” and expect/predict are two different things. The staff should have expected it enough that this is not a surprise. Likewise, Braswell. If you don’t suspect he might have health issues again at some point, you aren’t doing your job. Either way, the ability to recruit/develop a Center shouldn’t be hinging on whether or not Sidibe is healthy.
The irrelevant Syracuse basketball program has made the final 4 and the elite 8 in the last few years and has made the tnmt several other times. Regarding Sid. If they went after a guy that you want, an impact player, Sidibe would not start and get 16 mins per game. It is easy for you to say go ahead, you haven't worked with him and seen him develop. Most reasonable people would say he is a very good center when healthy, which he was at the end of last year and into this season. If that's how you manage and interact with people, I can't imagine you have many loyal friends or employees.

We only lost to UNC because the ball was microchipped or something and bounced their way unbelivably down the stretch. Odd team if we had a little more muscle and the coach actually used his bench or rather wanted to use his bench and play his kid (who is good) just 5 mins per game less and kept guys fresh we'd really be onto something I think overall talent is where it needs to be TBH.

7th straight year of a middle of the pack bubble/nit team. its just not fun watching this team play anymore.

Awww...like others in this thread, you sound like a little kid that doesn't like playing with a toy because it's just not fun..
THEN DON'T WATCH!

I remember the Haarms thread over the spring. I was assured Cuse would be solid at center this year without a transfer.
Agree, I was told repetitively on here that JBA was going to be a huge surprise and excellent. Frank was the best center prospect in years and would instantly be a contributor. Instead Sidibe goes down and neither of them are trusted to enter a game unless it's against Rider or Bryant. JBA couldn't even get 30 seconds of playing time in a game where we desperately needed any kind of size and Marek was busy grabbing 1 Reb in 35 mins and this is year 2 in the program. We have the true believers that think Boeheim at 76 years old still can't be questioned in any fashion. We have the folks that overvalue every single recruit because they committed to Syracuse and have to be underrated. Probably not a coincidence that Calhoun at 68 is the oldest coach in history to win it all. Almost every legendary coach that tried to last into his 70s has gotten pushed out because things got bad enough that their legacy wasn't enough to let them go out on their own terms. Coach K has a shot, maybe but he hasn't made it to a final four since he hit 70. (Yes true believers I know that JB was 71 in 2016.)

And it’s the same problem year after year after year .. is what makes it most infuriating.. if every year it was some different problem.. you could claim it wasnt foreseeable..

But every freaking year its the following

-inability to defensive board
-too weak / slight / at the center position
-no true point guard

These shouldn’t be irreparable problems year over year .. we don’t need Chris Webber .. although it would be nice .. we just need some ACC quality competence at the C and Pg positions

Yet we keep recruiting clones of slender man every year .. why !!!!!
I personally like our PG options this year. KR is gonna be a stud, especially after this crazy Covid season is behind us. Playing zone defense is always gonna hurt us on the defensive boards. We just have to mitigate the damage, like we have in our best years.
As for the center spot, I agree that’s been the biggest problem the past few years—not getting enough rim and paint protection. Chukwu was eventually capable on defense and protecting the rim but didn’t give us much else. we’ve also been snake bitten by injuries (Sidibe, Dajuan Coleman, Chukwu) in recent times. And the staff has done a poor job identifying under recruited talent and landing big time center recruits. Hopefully Anselem and Edwards really develop in the program over the next few years or we land some impact transfers and recruits.

The irrelevant Syracuse basketball program has made the final 4 and the elite 8 in the last few years and has made the tnmt several other times. Regarding Sid. If they went after a guy that you want, an impact player, Sidibe would not start and get 16 mins per game. It is easy for you to say go ahead, you haven't worked with him and seen him develop. Most reasonable people would say he is a very good center when healthy, which he was at the end of last year and into this season. If that's how you manage and interact with people, I can't imagine you have many loyal friends or employees.
Sidibe has played 92 games in his Syracuse career. He is currently averaging 3.6 pts and 4.5 reb per game. People thinking that is a very good center is sad. Probably because we haven't seen one that is actually very good in 6 years.

That’s cute. As I said, you’re looking at our program from the rationalizing/excuse-driven ‘Syracuse fan’ perspective. I suggested you take a step back, out of our bubble and look at it from an objective point of view, because that’s from where the kids—the recruits that build and sustain programs are looking at us.

The final 4 and elite 8—nice, from our perspective. But the more telling story comes from asking where we were all season in those years. How were we perceived all year. How much relevancy did we get by being ranked, which gets your highlights on tv. Which gets your scores on the main hoops page, not buried so that someone (only someone already a fan) has to go looking for them by selecting an Acc menu. How are you discussed by commentators in each game. Recruiting is about impressions and PR and expectations and a bunch of stuff like that. Being league-average for a sustained period of time is not conducive to signing elite prospects. It’s a route to sustained mediocrity. perhaps you’re happy with the memories. Maybe “has made the tournament several other times” is good enough for you. Not for me. Perhaps I’m spoiled and you’re just practical? When I arrived at Syracuse, we had Pearl and Seikaly, and the next year we had DC and went to the championship game. In my four years we signed the co-#1 player, and were ranked preseason #1 (I think...). That’s my frame of reference.

No, I haven’t worked with Sidibe. I’m going to suggest that if you treat recruiting and program building like ‘friendships,’ your team is going to suck. Seriously? “Loyal friends?” NCAA hoops is not like running a business. It is not like maintaining friendships. Players last four years. They have to be replaced. They have to have backups. They get injured and their play is less effective when they are recovering. You recruit with a plan in place and then have to react to the progressions/regressions—and “loyalty” may only be a small component of that. Here’s the thing, and actually, it parallels current events: loyalty should be first and foremost to the program, not to any one player.

That’s cute. As I said, you’re looking at our program from the rationalizing/excuse-driven ‘Syracuse fan’ perspective. I suggested you take a step back, out of our bubble and look at it from an objective point of view, because that’s from where the kids—the recruits that build and sustain programs are looking at us.

The final 4 and elite 8—nice, from our perspective. But the more telling story comes from asking where we were all season in those years. How were we perceived all year. How much relevancy did we get by being ranked, which gets your highlights on tv. Which gets your scores on the main hoops page, not buried so that someone (only someone already a fan) has to go looking for them by selecting an Acc menu. How are you discussed by commentators in each game. Recruiting is about impressions and PR and expectations and a bunch of stuff like that. Being league-average for a sustained period of time is not conducive to signing elite prospects. It’s a route to sustained mediocrity. perhaps you’re happy with the memories. Maybe “has made the tournament several other times” is good enough for you. Not for me. Perhaps I’m spoiled and you’re just practical? When I arrived at Syracuse, we had Pearl and Seikaly, and the next year we had DC and went to the championship game. In my four years we signed the co-#1 player, and were ranked preseason #1 (I think...). That’s my frame of reference.

No, I haven’t worked with Sidibe. I’m going to suggest that if you treat recruiting and program building like ‘friendships,’ your team is going to suck. Seriously? “Loyal friends?” NCAA hoops is not like running a business. It is not like maintaining friendships. Players last four years. They have to be replaced. They have to have backups. They get injured and their play is less effective when they are recovering. You recruit with a plan in place and then have to react to the progressions/regressions—and “loyalty” may only be a small component of that. Here’s the thing, and actually, it parallels current events: loyalty should be first and foremost to the program, not to any one player.
How did they land Kadary, Woody and Benny and even Jalen and Bryson who were 4 stars if the kids think the program is irrelevant. As for Sid, you don't think he is very good. The staff must think he is a player and I've seen periods when he was healthy and thought he was a big time player. He worked through a lot and was 100% before the Bryant game. Your telling me at that point your going out to get another guy and give him that spot? I'm sure the other players on the team would think that was wrong and it would poison the team chemistry. Also, I didn't see any of the other teams you cite such as UCLA, Indiana or others going to the 4 and the 8, which you dismiss as a gimmick.

How did they land Kadary, Woody and Benny and even Jalen and Bryson who were 4 stars if the kids think the program is irrelevant. As for Sid, you don't think he is very good. The staff must think he is a player and I've seen periods when he was healthy and thought he was a big time player. He worked through a lot and was 100% before the Bryant game. Your telling me at that point your going out to get another guy and give him that spot? I'm sure the other players on the team would think that was wrong and it would poison the team chemistry. Also, I didn't see any of the other teams you cite such as UCLA, Indiana or others going to the 4 and the 8, which you dismiss as a gimmick.
Ummm...UCLA made the sweet 16 3 of the last 7 years and their coach got fired for it not being good enough.

Ummm...UCLA made the sweet 16 3 of the last 7 years and their coach got fired for it not being good enough.
Last time UCLA made it past the 16 was 2008.

The final 4 was in 2016. Benny Williams was in 7th grade. That’s a “few years”?

Elite 8 didn’t happen either, it was sweet 16.

Those 2 runs were great but that and a few upsets of Duke is basically all we got in the last 7 years. We’ve been ok. Decent. Competitive. It would be a really good run for Providence or Georgia Tech.

The final 4 was in 2016. Benny Williams was in 7th grade. That’s a “few years”?

Elite 8 didn’t happen either, it was sweet 16.

Those 2 runs were great but that and a few upsets of Duke is basically all we got in the last 7 years. We’ve been ok. Decent. Competitive. It would be a really good run for Providence or Georgia Tech.
Did you think the sanctions would have no effect at all?

Who are Jalen and Bryson? Whatever. Not sure why you can’t recognize context or degrees. We signed 4-stars, as you said. When we were ‘more relevant,’ we signed 5-stars. You desperately needed to ignore the mentions of how things were back in the glory days in order to elevate 4-stars into being ‘enough.’

Secondly, although you’ve repeated this lie, you’ve never seen words from me that say I don’t like Sidibe or that ‘he isn’t very good.’ If you ever had hopes of credibility here, you should consider letting go of the straw man BS. If anything, I’ve suggested it isn’t smart to trust his health, that he isn’t consistent, that he has been misused. If you don’t understand how that’s not the same thing, you’re just arguing nonsense with yourself.

Oh, and where did you see me mentioning UCLA or Indiana or saying a FF is a “gimmick?” Christ, man, you’re confused. And it’s just now kicking in, that someone elsewhere was describing why it’s moronic to discuss anything with you, but I didn’t take note of the name until now... Now I understand...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom