Marc Stein reporting.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marc Stein reporting..

Joe Cowley @suntimes_hoops about 11 minutes ago
The 'Melo to Miami talk is heating up, and rumor is the one roadblock could be DWade. LeBron and Bosh are all in for less money.

Wade knows he's not getting another big contract anywhere else. He has been exposed this season, and especially in the playoffs. If I'm Miami, I wouldn't renew him.

Wade knows he's not getting another big contract anywhere else. He has been exposed this season, and especially in the playoffs. If I'm Miami, I wouldn't renew him.

He's under contract for the next 2 years, he's only a FA if he decides to opt out.

I think it sets a good example... More Rings, Less Money... Growing up in sports everyone wants to play with their buddies and WIN. These buddies just happen to be on the grandest stage together. I would sign up if I were Melo... I'll still hate the Heat though.

I think it sets a good example... More Rings, Less Money... Growing up in sports everyone wants to play with their buddies and WIN. These buddies just happen to be on the grandest stage together. I would sign up if I were Melo... I'll still hate the Heat though.
If there was an abundance of stars it would be cool. Instead we'll get 5 years of Miami running through remote villages like rebel warlords.

Only problem with that it Wade has to opt out for it to work. There's no way he opts out without there being a handshake agreement of what he re-signs for. (He's on the hook for 2 more years at $41 million; there's no way he gets that as a FA from someone else, right?)

LeBron just has to tell him he is leaving and taking Bosh with him if he isn't going to opt out. LeBron can't do another year at the minutes he played this year because Wade has to be treated with kid gloves. It's not LeBron's job to be his caretaker.

Wade should take the reduced annual salary for more years (and overall probably more money). If they keep winning, Wade will keep getting endorsements.

Thing is all sports need a heel. This (outside of Melo fans) would make Miami more of a heel than they already are.
My prime example was hockey. I was weaned on hockey wanting anyone to win who beat Montreal. When Montreal started sucking, hockey wasn't nearly as fun.
Miami has to be the heel from here on out. Its harder to do a face turn in Basketball.

LeBron just has to tell him he is leaving and taking Bosh with him if he isn't going to opt out. LeBron can't do another year at the minutes he played this year because Wade has to be treated with kid gloves. It's not LeBron's job to be his caretaker.

Wade should take the reduced annual salary for more years (and overall probably more money). If they keep winning, Wade will keep getting endorsements.

Thing is all sports need a heel. This (outside of Melo fans) would make Miami more of a heel than they already are.
My prime example was hockey. I was weaned on hockey wanting anyone to win who beat Montreal. When Montreal started sucking, hockey wasn't nearly as fun.
Miami has to be the heel from here on out. Its harder to do a face turn in Basketball.
If Melo goes to Miami, I think ESPN may literally explode.

After watching this stinker of a first half by Miami, this is starting look more logical. Bye Bye a "he's nearly done" D-Wade, plug in Melo "to push them BACK on top".

After watching this stinker of a first half by Miami, this is starting look more logical. Bye Bye a "he's nearly done" D-Wade, plug in Melo "to push them BACK on top".
Wade's killin' the Heat, and me. Spurs a great team, a joy to watch, even if they're whoopin' the team I'm rooting for's booty. Curious to see what Riley's gonna do in the off-season, other than getting rid of Oden and Beasley. Wade's an all-time great, but, as a Heat fan, wouldn't mind seeing D Wade go home and finish his career with the Bulls.

Wade's killin' the Heat, and me. Spurs a great team, a joy to watch, even if they're whoopin' the team I'm rooting for's booty. Curious to see what Riley's gonna do in the off-season, other than getting rid of Oden and Beasley. Wade's an all-time great, but, as a Heat fan, wouldn't mind seeing D Wade go home and finish his career with the Bulls.

I know that Wade isn't quite what he used to be--lots of mileage on those tires. But last season, you could say the same thing about Manu Ginoboli. He looked like a shell of the former player he was, hobbled and generally ineffectual, and the skuttlebutt was that it was time for him to go.

Fast forward a year, and he's healthy, his minutes are regulated, and he's playing at a high level. I guess I just wouldn't write off Wade so soon.

But as for tonight's game--he and Lebron both look a step slow tonight. I wonder if something's up.

Miami fans might want to chill with the booing. I don't think they realize how good they have it, how much better they may have it next year or how quickly it could all be gone if Lebron decides to peace out.

They play some no PG lineups now anyway, so my guess is you'd see even more of them. Stick a lineup out there with the big 4 plus Allen in a corner. Basically unguardable, especially with Melo's improved 3 point shot.

I don't think this is going to end up happening; though it is crazy to think about.

As far as the integrity of the game; we do know the Celtics won 8 titles in a row and 11 of 13 in the late 50's/60's, right? The NBA has pretty much always been a league where 2 or 3 teams at the top of the league have the best chance of winning the title. This would seemingly take it to the extreme though. I must say, it would kind of be funny if Miami wins the title this year, they add Melo, and they don't win next year. Just to hear how it's everyone's fault but Melo's.
The Celtics analogy should have an asterix. They had competition for the top. Not much but Wilt's teams were always knocking on the door and slipped through 1 year. A couple years the Celtics (aging Celtics) were not a first place team but were a 100% locks in the playoffs for virtually a decade.
Similar to the Dodgers-Yanks in the 50's. The Dodgers had superstars all over and could never beat the more plebeian Yankees.

"Save us Melo!"
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 74
I know that Wade isn't quite what he used to be--lots of mileage on those tires. But last season, you could say the same thing about Manu Ginoboli. He looked like a shell of the former player he was, hobbled and generally ineffectual, and the skuttlebutt was that it was time for him to go.

Fast forward a year, and he's healthy, his minutes are regulated, and he's playing at a high level. I guess I just wouldn't write off Wade so soon.

But as for tonight's game--he and Lebron both look a step slow tonight. I wonder if something's up.
That is the GM's quandry. Better getting rid of someone a year early, than a year late. Wade is in that zone where you have to think about it.

Lebron has been his typical awesome self after his passive first half but his teammates are NY Knicks level bad all of a sudden.

I hear ya, Ryan, but I think Wade's situation is far different. His knees are in bad shape, he took off a third of the season to get right for the playoffs, he's 1-10 tonight, I don't see how he's gonna make a Ginobli-like comeback next year. I'd rather see Ray Allen in there than Wade. LeBron's not the problem, had 19 of Miami's 21 points in the third period. Rest of team, not so much.

Miami needs a point guard and big man. You guys think Lebron, Melo, Bosh and Wade will all play for the MLE so they can sign Rondo and Dwight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom