Marc Stein reporting.. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marc Stein reporting..

image.jpg

Lebron has been his typical awesome self after his passive first half but his teammates are NY Knicks level bad all of a sudden.
He's having Cleveland flashbacks

What's wrong wih that is that apparently you have't been following the NBA for the last 5 years. "If you can't beat the opposition"? The Heat have won 4 consecutive Eastern Conference Titles and could very well be on their way to their 3rd consecutive NBA Championship after winning the last 2 years. Where did you get the idea they can't beat the opposition? And I already outlined above what was wrong with it. Bascially it comes down to saving the integrity of the game (or at the very least, a semblence of some competitive spirit). Why would anyone even follow the NBA anymore if you knew in advance who was going to win the Title? Obviously if they win every year without Melo, they would continue to win with him through the end of the decade.

The heat arent winning the title this year...despite their all star lineup. Adding melo will not make them a favorite to win next year. Winning the eastern conference championship five years in a row is not much of an accomplishment in this era of NBA ball. The heat would be a dog vs several teams out west.

People think just adding 'stars' makes a team unbeatable. This is not how basketball works. If the spurs havent gotten people to understand this yet, people will never get it.

The heat arent winning the title this year...despite their all star lineup. Adding melo will not make them a favorite to win next year. Winning the eastern conference championship five years in a row is not much of an accomplishment in this era of NBA ball. The heat would be a dog vs several teams out west.

People think just adding 'stars' makes a team unbeatable. This is not how basketball works. If the spurs havent gotten people to understand this yet, people will never get it.

Well for one the heat did beat the spurs last year so it seems that stockpiling talent can win you championships, and two there is not any other teams in the league that is like the spurs. If Carmelo was added to Miami they would be favored to win at the beginning of the season and would be favored vs every western conference team if they made the finals next year.

Nobody's saying that stockpiling talent wont win you championships. In fact its necessary, yet not sufficient. People are arguing that the Heat getting Melo would render a championship a forgone conclusion to which I say..no...no it doesnt. And the idea that its somehow bad for the league, when in fact, it would draw massive fan interest, is simply not true. people love to root against teams as much as they do rooting for them.

What's wrong wih that is that apparently you have't been following the NBA for the last 5 years. "If you can't beat the opposition"? The Heat have won 4 consecutive Eastern Conference Titles and could very well be on their way to their 3rd consecutive NBA Championship after winning the last 2 years. Where did you get the idea they can't beat the opposition? And I already outlined above what was wrong with it. Bascially it comes down to saving the integrity of the game (or at the very least, a semblence of some competitive spirit). Why would anyone even follow the NBA anymore if you knew in advance who was going to win the Title? Obviously if they win every year without Melo, they would continue to win with him through the end of the decade.
I think the reference was saying if you can't beat the Heat, meaning 'Melo, join them.

Even with Melo in the fold I don't see the Heat winning it next year unless they find replacement for Wade and find a PG. Someone had mentioned early on in this thread about the Big 4 if Melo goes to the Heat; that shipped sailed. The Big 4 will be in San Antonio with Kawhi being the fourth with Duncan, Parker and Manu. This year should have and would have been a sweep if it were not for 4 missed FTs and help from the refs.

Well for one the heat did beat the spurs last year so it seems that stockpiling talent can win you championships, and two there is not any other teams in the league that is like the spurs. If Carmelo was added to Miami they would be favored to win at the beginning of the season and would be favored vs every western conference team if they made the finals next year.

Yes the did, but it took a miracle--otherwise the Spurs beat them in 6. Everyone acts like last year's championship was a fait accompli with the Heat being unbeatable, but the truth of the matter is that the Spurs were probably the better team last year as well, and blew it.

I know, I know--ifs and buts. But the Spurs had them dead to rights in game 6. You have to give Miami credit for making those miracle plays to erase the 6 point deficit in 10 seconds, but if ever there was a team perfectly suited to take on Miami, it is this Spurs team.

Even with Melo in the fold I don't see the Heat winning it next year unless they find replacement for Wade and find a PG. Someone had mentioned early on in this thread about the Big 4 if Melo goes to the Heat; that shipped sailed. The Big 4 will be in San Antonio with Kawhi being the fourth with Duncan, Parker and Manu. This year should have and would have been a sweep if it were not for 4 missed FTs and help from the refs.
I think center would be more important than point. With Melo on the team picking up a chunk of the scoring, Lebron can handle the point guard duties. As someone said earlier, the Bulls basically used Pippen and Jordan as their point guards when they were winning. Armstrong and Paxton were mostly spot up shooters.

sufandu said:
I think center would be more important than point. With Melo on the team picking up a chunk of the scoring, Lebron can handle the point guard duties. As someone said earlier, the Bulls basically used Pippen and Jordan as their point guards when they were winning. Armstrong and Paxton were mostly spot up shooters.

Agreed. Miami's main weakness is a strong defensive presence in the middle. If they had Dwight Howard instead of Wade right now at the same max money, I think they would be winning this series.

Yes the did, but it took a miracle--otherwise the Spurs beat them in 6. Everyone acts like last year's championship was a fait accompli with the Heat being unbeatable, but the truth of the matter is that the Spurs were probably the better team last year as well, and blew it.

I know, I know--ifs and buts. But the Spurs had them dead to rights in game 6. You have to give Miami credit for making those miracle plays to erase the 6 point deficit in 10 seconds, but if ever there was a team perfectly suited to take on Miami, it is this Spurs team.

You can also go back a series where Miami went to a Game 7 with Indy. They won it fairly easily, but they went to a game 7; anything can happen. Or you can go back the year prior where Boston took them to 7 in the ECF. I like Lebron, and I've been rooting for Miami since they got him, but I agree that when you look back on how things turned out it looks like it was obvious Miami was gonna win all along, but the reality is they have been very close to losing in each of their 2 title runs.

Miami has been one of the best teams the last few years, and when it comes right down to it, they have the best player, which gives them a huge advantage, but it's not like they've been head and shoulders above the rest of the league during that time. If they added Melo, they would continue to be one of the best teams in the league, but they'd still have issues at the point and against very good big guys.

As for Wade, my guess is Miami would love to be able to get rid of him after this season, but that's gonna be pretty difficult.

Any team with Lebron and Melo on it would be the favorite, even over the Spurs next year. Lebron would basically play point, with Melo being the go to scorer and then just put some 3 point veteran shooters out there to space the floor along with Bosh. Resign Birdman and stockpile shooters and atheltic bigs on the cheap (Jeremy Tyler types come to mind). Im sure they can find a veteran back up point guard to chase some rings.

Right now the Spurs defensively have been able to put Kawhi Leonard on Lebron because Wade is a complete non factor. If Kawhi is on Lebron, who guards Melo? Also Melo is average defensively but can be above average when he wants to be, I have to imagine Lebron would push him to that level, at least some of the time, and with Melo and Lebron basically the same size and strength, it gives them tremendous switching ability.

The big elephant is the room is Wade. With Lebron and Melo, they'd be better off with Bosh, Allen and another shooter like Mike Miller out there to spread the floor. Wade is slow defensively and on offense would just get in Lebron/Melo's way since everything he does is inside the 3 point line.

The big elephant is the room is Wade. With Lebron and Melo, they'd be better off with Bosh, Allen and another shooter like Mike Miller out there to spread the floor. Wade is slow defensively and on offense would just get in Lebron/Melo's way since everything he does is inside the 3 point line.
Wade kind of has that former beauty queen thing going for him, where he was popular and had people lining up for a while, but now that some age is showing people are backing off.

Any team with Lebron and Melo on it would be the favorite, even over the Spurs next year. Lebron would basically play point, with Melo being the go to scorer and then just put some 3 point veteran shooters out there to space the floor along with Bosh. Resign Birdman and stockpile shooters and atheltic bigs on the cheap (Jeremy Tyler types come to mind). Im sure they can find a veteran back up point guard to chase some rings.

Right now the Spurs defensively have been able to put Kawhi Leonard on Lebron because Wade is a complete non factor. If Kawhi is on Lebron, who guards Melo? Also Melo is average defensively but can be above average when he wants to be, I have to imagine Lebron would push him to that level, at least some of the time, and with Melo and Lebron basically the same size and strength, it gives them tremendous switching ability.

I think Miami was also the favorite this year as well.

You can also go back a series where Miami went to a Game 7 with Indy. They won it fairly easily, but they went to a game 7; anything can happen. Or you can go back the year prior where Boston took them to 7 in the ECF. I like Lebron, and I've been rooting for Miami since they got him, but I agree that when you look back on how things turned out it looks like it was obvious Miami was gonna win all along, but the reality is they have been very close to losing in each of their 2 title runs.

Miami has been one of the best teams the last few years, and when it comes right down to it, they have the best player, which gives them a huge advantage, but it's not like they've been head and shoulders above the rest of the league during that time. If they added Melo, they would continue to be one of the best teams in the league, but they'd still have issues at the point and against very good big guys.

As for Wade, my guess is Miami would love to be able to get rid of him after this season, but that's gonna be pretty difficult.

You've been rooting for Miami since the Heat got Lebron? Man, what kind of Knicks fan are you? Just kidding, I just can't ever root for the Heat. The day Ewing, Starks, Charlie Ward, and Charles Oakley got suspended by David Stern and screwed the Knicks there hasn't been a day in my life i rooted for the Heat.

I think Miami has been highly overrated as a champion the past two years. They aren't nearly at the level of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. They really should of lost last year. A Lot of "experts" thought Miami would just cruise this year for some odd reason, but it is clear that San Antonio is the hungrier team. They knew they blew it last year, and all their young guys improved plus Ginobili is healthier. I don't see how lebron wins another title in Miami with this team. You could argue that the team in Cleveland right now is more talented than Lebron's current supporting cast.

You've been rooting for Miami since the Heat got Lebron? Man, what kind of Knicks fan are you? Just kidding, I just can't ever root for the Heat. The day Ewing, Starks, Charlie Ward, and Charles Oakley got suspended by David Stern and screwed the Knicks there hasn't been a day in my life i rooted for the Heat.

I think Miami has been highly overrated as a champion the past two years. They aren't nearly at the level of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers. They really should of lost last year. A Lot of "experts" thought Miami would just cruise this year for some odd reason, but it is clear that San Antonio is the hungrier team. They knew they blew it last year, and all their young guys improved plus Ginobili is healthier. I don't see how lebron wins another title in Miami with this team. You could argue that the team in Cleveland right now is more talented than Lebron's current supporting cast.

Ha, I've been rooting for Miami once the Knicks have been knocked out.

I can't even talk about that series in 97. They had a chance to beat the bulls that year! (ok prob not)

This series as a younger Celtics fan reminds me of the 1984 and 1985 Finals between the Celtics and Lakers. I was a baby during these series but in 1984 the Lakers were probably the better team but the Celtics stole that series and it made the Lakers hungrier the next year when the Celtics probably had the better team and the Lakers in 85 won the title.

The Spurs were probably better last year but the Heat won the series and now in the rematch it looks like they will win.

I can't root Lebron just because I grew up Michael Jordan and he IS SO much the better competitor that the spoiled coddled Lebron turns me off as a Celtics fan I hate the Lakers and Kobe but I respect Kobe WAY more than Lebron and I hate the Lakers the most. Kobe on the court is what I respect more than Lebron.

This series as a younger Celtics fan reminds me of the 1984 and 1985 Finals between the Celtics and Lakers. I was a baby during these series but in 1984 the Lakers were probably the better team but the Celtics stole that series and it made the Lakers hungrier the next year when the Celtics probably had the better team and the Lakers in 85 won the title.

The Spurs were probably better last year but the Heat won the series and now in the rematch it looks like they will win.

I can't root Lebron just because I grew up Michael Jordan and he IS SO much the better competitor that the spoiled coddled Lebron turns me off as a Celtics fan I hate the Lakers and Kobe but I respect Kobe WAY more than Lebron and I hate the Lakers the most. Kobe on the court is what I respect more than Lebron.

Jordan or Kobe would of tried to score 50 last night if they knew their teammates were not going to show up. That is the difference between Lebron, Kobe, and MJ. While I know Lebron has the ability to score 50, he doesn't have the same killer instinct and Kobe or Michael to do so when his team is in a bad spot.

I think the reference was saying if you can't beat the Heat, meaning 'Melo, join them.

the knicks cant beat anyone as constructed. so essentially any team melo would go to would be tantamount to joining someone you couldnt beat.

Jordan or Kobe would of tried to score 50 last night if they knew their teammates were not going to show up. That is the difference between Lebron, Kobe, and MJ. While I know Lebron has the ability to score 50, he doesn't have the same killer instinct and Kobe or Michael to do so when his team is in a bad spot.

Yeah like how he scored 19 of his team's 21 points in the 3rd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom