Marcus Smart Officially | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart Officially

any old person who posts on twitter is a douche nozzle extreme- actually anyone who posts on twitter is one imho -

ive been known to heckle at times- gotten more than my fair share of stink eye's -but i never used crude language - any athlete worth his salt understands its part of the game and know stink eye is as far as you can go

Way too deep trending to the political, but this is just a microcosm of our societal issues. Fans feel entitled to behave like animals because they paid for a ticket...like rules of decorum that should apply at all times get suspended upon ticket purchase. Players over-react and boom! Major story. The reality is that we, as a society, have committed to a value system that anything not specifically banned by rule of law is "legal" and in some way acceptable. Empires don't generally get conquered, they fall when the people living in them just give up. I'd argue that a society where people feel free to tell anyone they look like a fetus is one that's near it's inevitable end - once you've decided behaving like an animal is acceptable, the likelyhood you have the capacity to maintain a civilization and not return humanity to a feral state is minimal at best.

I'm fine with Smart lightly shoving the tired old man. Smart's reaction is completely justifiable in my opinion, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Ron Artest who is still making millions in the NBA, so his future there will be fine.

The article about this "superfan" says he's very an '83 grad of TT, so he's probably around 53 years old. Not young but not that old either.

I have court side seats at the Dome. I chat with the refs standing in front of me all the time (never use bad language) , but have never said anything to an opposing player. Not even to Jeff Green when he landed in my lap one game. It just doesn't seem appropriate. They are guests in our house, and they should not get personal verbal abuse from fans lucky to sit near the court.

I cheer madly for SU players by name, but never say anything ad hominem out loud to the visitors.

I used to go to all the UAlbany games, and followed American East hoops closely so I knew all the players (and had talked with a lot of them after games, during American East tourneys, etc). If an opposing player made a good play I'd occasionally make a comment (something like 'nice play, 21'...) - I think it actually rattled opposing players more than trash talk.

The article about this "superfan" says he's very an '83 grad of TT, so he's probably around 53 years old. Not young but not that old either.

Your opinion on whether 53 is old or not is probably a good indicator of your own age...but I'm with ya - not that old

Way too deep trending to the political, but this is just a microcosm of our societal issues. Fans feel entitled to behave like animals because they paid for a ticket...like rules of decorum that should apply at all times get suspended upon ticket purchase. Players over-react and boom! Major story. The reality is that we, as a society, have committed to a value system that anything not specifically banned by rule of law is "legal" and in some way acceptable. Empires don't generally get conquered, they fall when the people living in them just give up. I'd argue that a society where people feel free to tell anyone they look like a fetus is one that's near it's inevitable end - once you've decided behaving like an animal is acceptable, the likelyhood you have the capacity to maintain a civilization and not return humanity to a feral state is minimal at best.

i see your point... but when is trash talking over the line.

I am clausterphobic and have a tiny bit of anxiety... i have dealt with trash talk my whole life.

someone can tell me anything and it woundnt bother me 1 bit. this on the other hand could possibly totally freak me out

lance-duke-unc-017.jpg

Cant do that no matter what. Haven't read through the posts but there are a few other videos of this old guy being a jackass at TT games.

Cant do that no matter what. Haven't read through the posts but there are a few other videos of this old guy being a jackass at TT games.

I think the fan should have something happen to him as well he has an obvious history of bad behavior. Still Smart cannot do that and the will be suspended.

The most annoying person in this whole scenario, IMO, is the annoying stuck up women next to him who was in Smart's face clapping like an obnoxious pos.

Orr could have apologized all he wants when Smart confronted him but with that woman defiantly clapping inches from his face, no matter what, that situation was getting escalated.

My guess is three game suspension. That Texas Tech fan might get a longer suspension or at least have his tickets moved. Tech will probably remove their homage to the fan from its website.

Clearly this fan has behavioral issues.

Smart wont lose a dime over this. This is a league that employs meta world peace.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see if anything happens to the fan. Hard to take away his seat or anything like that without any proof of what he said.

@smart_MS3 all mistakes and missteps are a foundation for improvement. Sometimes the game is so intense , we forget its just a game.

— Metta World Peace (@MettaWorldPeace)

It'll be interesting to see if anything happens to the fan. Hard to take away his seat or anything like that without any proof of what he said.
There must be at least ten people who heard what he said. Its not like they were walking along without anyone watching. They will interview people and a clearer picture will emerge. In the meantime, let the sensational news reporting and twitter reactions commence. Oh Lord

If you assume the fan did say something wildly inappropriate, if Smart had his wits about him, he would have stood, not moved and pointed at the dude until security came and did something one way or the other.

Agree with jake, 3 games and he's still a top 10 draft pick. However, if he continues to play like he has he could continue to slip.

Agree with jake, 3 games and he's still a top 10 draft pick. However, if he continues to play like he has he could continue to slip.

Yeah, I don't think this will impact his draft stock much at all. Maybe a team might lean towards Exum over Smart now because of this and him storming off the court a week or so ago. I don't know. I feel like most teams probably had Exum over Smart by now anyways. Smart's recent play is much more concerning than this from an NBA standpoint.

i see your point... but when is trash talking over the line.

I am clausterphobic and have a tiny bit of anxiety... i have dealt with trash talk my whole life.

someone can tell me anything and it woundnt bother me 1 bit. this on the other hand could possibly totally freak me out

lance-duke-unc-017.jpg

I really hate those geeks. Look at that...just so geeky. That guy with the armpit swallowing the back of his head looks like he wants to snap.

Thank you IB for the best thread ever. Every time it pops up, I smile.

After reading this thread I was expecting a lot more violence. Barkley spit on a guy, didn't cost him anything.

Wonder what the fan said. No reason for a middle aged man to talk junk to a guy trying to make a play who ended up in the crowd.

I completely agree that the fan should be banned from the arena for quite a while because he had to have said something pretty vile for this to happen. That said, Smart needs to be suspended for the remainder of the year. You can't lose your composure like that...

I have to say Basketball games are brutal in terms of player/fan interaction. Football, baseball and hockey all have barriers between fans and players. Basketball is an intimate setting in a lot of places, where the fans are right on top of you in a physical, passionate, highly energized sport.

In no other sport are you in a confined space where some guy ten feet from you can heckle you all game while some other guy 5 feet from him is holding a giant sign making fun of your mom and the student section can chant personal insults while your standing alone at the foul line.

I completely agree that the fan should be banned from the arena for quite a while because he had to have said something pretty vile for this to happen. That said, Smart needs to be suspended for the remainder of the year. You can't lose your composure like that...
Remainder of the year? That's excessive.

What the heck is an old guy doing heckling a 20 year old man? Smart shouldn't have shoved the guy, regardless, but can we please stop acting like this is the worst thing ever and Smart's a bad person for doing it?

IDK what the fan said, but I'm not going to crucify a young man for letting his emotions get the best of him. Is it a red flag for GM's? Sure. Is it or should it be career ending or cost him a lottery pick? No.

I fully expect he'll get suspended for a few games (proper punishment in my eyes) and still get picked in the top 10.