Marek Dolezaj | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

It's funny you say that, but it certainly won't hurt the prospects of signing elite foreign players, When I signed my first foreign player - it opened up the floodgates. My first player was from Russia, and that summer I received probably 4 to 5 e-mails per day from tennis players in Russia, Ukraine, Rep. of Georiga, etc... who all wanted to come play tennis in America. It was quite interesting.
That's interesting and would welcome that. We have made inroads in Canada why not Europe?

Do international students take the SAT? Is there a different test? Hopefully this kid has it all squared away.

Hasn't he been playing pro ball overseas. That has been a stumbling block for other foreign players that might be an issue?

I'm starting to get excited about this kid as a prospect, but I am a little leery about the whole situation of bringing in a kid from overseas who has played in leagues with grown men... It's going to be a process getting him through the NCAA clearinghouse (remember those guys? they don't like 'cuse very much from what I gather ;) and who knows if Marek ever got paid to play in any of those games... I could totally see this turning into the type of thing where his eligibility is constantly in question if he commits. I really, really, really hope the staff is doing/has done its due diligence on Marek's amateur status, his academics, and their chances of getting him qualified.

I'm starting to get excited about this kid as a prospect, but I am a little leery about the whole situation of bringing in a kid from overseas who has played in leagues with grown men... It's going to be a process getting him through the NCAA clearinghouse (remember those guys? they don't like 'cuse very much from what I gather ;) and who knows if Marek ever got paid to play in any of those games... I could totally see this turning into the type of thing where his eligibility is constantly in question if he commits. I really, really, really hope the staff is doing/has done its due diligence on Marek's amateur status, his academics, and their chances of getting him qualified.

This would be extremely disappointing if he ends up not being eligible to play CBB. I think the staff has probably done their work on this one. At least I hope so. They know how ridiculous the NCAA is. He's doing his final exams, so I doubt he was getting paid and his academics should be in order. Complete guess, though. Minus the exam thing as jordville is tapped into the Slovakian Twitter world somehow thankfully.

Don't give me any likes for this one, guys. We are Syracuse and you never know what the clearinghouse folks will say or when they will get around to saying it.

Don't give me any likes for this one, guys. We are Syracuse and you never know what the clearinghouse folks will say or when they will get around to saying it.

I'm taking your word for it, and plugging my ears now. He will be here. Positive energy.

I'd expect that the staff learned their lesson after the Diagne debacle, and won't make the same mistake twice.

Looks like there are at least 9 players from Slovakia who played college basketball last season.

Slovakia NCAA Basketball Players - RealGM

That is the good news. Almost all went to a basketball academy in the Canary Islands or somewhere not in Slovakia for HS though...

Looks like there are at least 9 players from Slovakia who played college basketball last season.

Slovakia NCAA Basketball Players - RealGM

That is the good news. Almost all went to a basketball academy in the Canary Islands or somewhere not in Slovakia for HS though...

It is probably a positive that Dolezaj did not attend Canarias Basketball Academy if you read this Sports Illustrated investigation about that grand institution.

Essentially, an assistant coach at the school also runs a company that helps college basketball teams book European trips and--who would have guessed--CBA players somehow end up at schools who have booked tours through that company.

With respect to NBA players, only one player from Slovakia has played in the NBA: Richard Petruska.

Slovakia is a young country so I also looked up the Czech Republic. Four Czech players have played in the NBA. The only active player is Tomas Satoransky of the Wizards. The others are George Zidek, who occasionally unleashed a sky hook for UCLA's 1995 national championship team (if memory serves), journeyman 1st round pick Jiri Welsch, and megabust lottery pick Jan Vesely.

People have made a good point about Dolezaj's age, which may indicate he want to go pro sooner rather than later. He might consider bolting if a top European league shows some interest. That would be an excellent outcome for a basketball player from Slovakia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom