Marek Dolezaj | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

Love being called essentially dumb and pretty much every point I made was spot on.

Great thread...

We were definitely on one side of this one while folks were talking about kukoc and petrovic...

One thing I will say about Marek is that the video on him was not abundant and some of them saw his skill set change a good amount so it was really hard to project what he could be. I never saw a video where he had a good looking shot so I always thought he would struggle shooting at least in the beginning of his career.

There's another thread where I got hammered when I said he'd never see a second at the two and would probably play the 4 and maybe even the 5 in a pinch or down the road.

You were spot on. I was hopeful Marek would shoot better than he has, only because of the glowing reports from his visit.

Let's face it, it was tough to analyze this guy, based on those awful videos. That's what makes the Van Horn comparisons, hyperbole and unbridled optimism so ridiculous. Why anyone would hammer you for being rightfully skeptical is beyond me.

You were spot on. I was hopeful Marek would shoot better than he has, only because of the glowing reports from his visit.

Let's face it, it was tough to analyze this guy, based on those awful videos. That's what makes the Van Horn comparisons, hyperbole and unbridled optimism so ridiculous. Why anyone would hammer you for being rightfully skeptical is beyond me.

The thing is, the kid hustles like crazy and seems like a good kid, but yes the expectations for him, and almost anybody that comes in, are unrealistic and not fair.

If the kid was anything like advertised around here he was a first round pick out of Europe, not Syracuse.

Brissett and Dolezaj is my guess for the starting forwards also with Brissett being our best freshman. I'm really high on him.

Well this is my hot take of the thread. I was obviously wrong about the starting forwards. Brissett is our best freshman, but fair to say he hasn't been nearly as efficient as I expected.

So now we're not high on Marek? We were loving him until he hit his head, unfortunately. Hopefully its just the competition and not the head.

So now we're not high on Marek? We were loving him until he hit his head, unfortunately. Hopefully its just the competition and not the head.

I really like Marek a like and think he can be a great 4 year player for us if he can develop physically to the point where he's not thrown around like a ragdoll when he's going up against ACC caliber competition. Right now he's just not in the same class physically as the guys he's being asked to go up against, and you also rightfully point out the head injury, which could be a much bigger deal than any of us know.

This is less about Marek and more about people putting unfair expectations in kids. It's like saying Brissett will be the combination of Carmelo and DC. That is not on OB being a good player for us but to expect him to come in and produce like that is unrealistic.

This is less about Marek and more about people putting unfair expectations in kids. It's like saying Brissett will be the combination of Carmelo and DC. That is not on OB being a good player for us but to expect him to come in and produce like that is unrealistic.
Bazley is starting to get some of those expectations, too. And he may very well be a great player his freshmen year, but the jump from HS to D1/P5 is no joke and has left a few bodies at the bottom of the gorge.

Edited to add: Since 09-10, there have only been 28 freshman in the ACC to score more than 12 ppg and average more than 25 mpg. (Oshae is one of them, and I would think that people are hoping for a better season than that from Bazely). Also, I don't know why SU didn't go harder after Jose Alvarado, but he's doing good things for G'Tech.

Last edited:
I really like Marek a like and think he can be a great 4 year player for us if he can develop physically to the point where he's not thrown around like a ragdoll when he's going up against ACC caliber competition. Right now he's just not in the same class physically as the guys he's being asked to go up against, and you also rightfully point out the head injury, which could be a much bigger deal than any of us know.
Just goes to show you ACC basketball is better than some pro leagues around the world.

Bazley is starting to get some of those expectations, too. And he may very well be a great player his freshmen year, but the jump from HS to D1/P5 is no joke and has left a few bodies at the bottom of the gorge.

Edited to add: Since 09-10, there have only been 28 freshman in the ACC to score more than 12 ppg and average more than 25 mpg. (Oshae is one of them, and I would think that people are hoping for a better season than that from Bazely). Also, I don't know why SU didn't go harder after Jose Alvarado, but he's doing good things for G'Tech.
If I remember correctly Jose made his decision before Quade. We were all in on Quade. I’m not saying that was the right approach but that was the reality. Also Jose is under 6 feet and we probably weren’t excited about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom