Marinatto out as BE commish | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marinatto out as BE commish

Well this topic is certainly a lot of fun. Thank goodenss we are out of there.

Reading the Rutgers board, I spotted this absolute gem posted by Crossingguard (who may actually be working as a crossingguard given the quality of the thought behind this post. I hope it isn't at a busy intersection.)

"My guess is that Rutgers probably forced the issue. It's time for RU to act like what it is-the most important member of the Big East. Maybe RU hasn't met all its expectations on the field, but from an institutional, academic, market standpoint Rutgers is now the Big East. Much like Texas defines the Big 12, Michigan and tOSU define the Big 10, UNC and Duke the ACC, USC and UCLA the Pac 12."

Roll that one about in your noggin. Rutgers is to the Big East as Texas is to the Big 12.
idiotic analogy for sure, but i believe pernetti has been feverishly working at this for awhile, and would not surprise me at all if he organized a coup--he wants the job, would probably be good at it, and it would be a welcomed change from the "old guard" and thought process.

Reading the Rutgers board, I spotted this absolute gem posted by Crossingguard (who may actually be working as a crossingguard given the quality of the thought behind this post. I hope it isn't at a busy intersection.)

"My guess is that Rutgers probably forced the issue. It's time for RU to act like what it is-the most important member of the Big East. Maybe RU hasn't met all its expectations on the field, but from an institutional, academic, market standpoint Rutgers is now the Big East. Much like Texas defines the Big 12, Michigan and tOSU define the Big 10, UNC and Duke the ACC, USC and UCLA the Pac 12."

Roll that one about in your noggin. Rutgers is to the Big East as Texas is to the Big 12.

That's gold, Jerry...Gold. Amazing how little self-awareness that fanbase, and football program in general, seems to have.

Marinarro finally ran out of credibility.

After every blow to the Big East starting with Miami leaving, Tranghese or Marinatto announced that "not only will the Big East recover, we will go on to be bigger, better, richer, smarter and better-looking.

I'm remonded of "The Black Knight" bit from the original Monty Python in which the knight is continually having limbs chopped off that he claims are "mere fleshwounds".

People will buy that for a little while ... especially a few lapdogs in the press that are used to getting morsels of news thrown their way.

But eventually the BS piles up so high that its cannot be ignored.

I don't know who this new guys is, but he has to be one hell of a salesman to make people beleive that Rutgers v. UConn is the East Coast equivalent of Texas v. Oklahoma.

RU is to the BE as the sewer system is to NYC.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

"One of the biggest stumbling points has been how the television money would be divided among the basketball and football schools. Last year, at the spring meetings in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., one proposal suggested a 75/25 split -- 75 percent of the money going to football schools, and 25 percent going to basketball schools. One athletic director at a basketball school raised his hand and wondered why the numbers were not flipped, since hoops is the reason the Big East exists in the first place."

The Big East was doomed to fail based on it being a basketball centric conf with equal voting rights. There was no way that a school like Syracuse who had two programs could co exist for the long term with a bball only school. The bi laws of the conf made it impossible to eliminate or seperate members without a protracted legal fight so they were forced to try and find an answer. The fact that the league turned down the latest ESPN offer was the death blow as it forced SU WVU and Pitt to throw in the towel and fend for themselves. Now that we have landed in the ACC this can be seen as a true blessing.

There isn't a consultant in the world that can make UConn or Rutgers into Alabama or Ohio State ... but that's who they need to compete with.

I thought Rutgers was going to be the USC of the east?

"One of the biggest stumbling points has been how the television money would be divided among the basketball and football schools. Last year, at the spring meetings in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., one proposal suggested a 75/25 split -- 75 percent of the money going to football schools, and 25 percent going to basketball schools. One athletic director at a basketball school raised his hand and wondered why the numbers were not flipped, since hoops is the reason the Big East exists in the first place."

Wait, what? Why would this even be a question. Allocate the media money by sport and then give football $ to the football schools, and hoops $ to the hoops+football schools.

Why should a Seton Hall or Providence be benefiting from football money?

Why should a Seton Hall or Providence be benefiting from football money?

The worst part is: those schools haven't even earned any friggin' NCAAB credits in hell knows how long. UConn has earned the Big East a bajillion credits (approximate) since Seton Hall or Providence last earned one.

They've never gotten it and they never will. They just don't get it. They yearn for the days of the NIT and cages around the court and smoking cigars during the games where only the court is lit. The world hasn't passed them by- it's lapped them.

The worst part is: those schools haven't even earned any friggin' NCAAB credits in hell knows how long. UConn has earned the Big East a bajillion credits (approximate) since Seton Hall or Providence last earned one.

They've never gotten it and they never will. They just don't get it. They yearn for the days of the NIT and cages around the court and smoking cigars during the games where only the court is lit. The world hasn't passed them by- it's lapped them.

I understand and sympathize with your righteous indignation, but my question was sincere. Why would this league utilize that revenue distribution model? Is this how it's always been? I mean, that's just a total f-ing nightmare.

I understand and sympathize with your righteous indignation, but my question was sincere. Why would this league utilize that revenue distribution model? Is this how it's always been? I mean, that's just a total f-ing nightmare.

As far as I know, they've always split it evenly. It dates back to a time when the FB revenue wasn't nearly the behemoth that it is now, dwarfing the BB revenue.

It amazes me how learned people, some of them of the cloth, can so brazenly dispute logical revenue distribution, just to try and cover their own asses.

There ya go...

As far as I know, they've always split it evenly. It dates back to a time when the FB revenue wasn't nearly the behemoth that it is now, dwarfing the BB revenue.

It amazes me how learned people, some of them of the cloth, can so brazenly dispute logical revenue distribution, just to try and cover their own asses.

That's insane. Completely insane.

RutgerFans love the Kool-Aid...

Not a big Francesa fan, but I loved THIS...

My favorite post of the day comes courtesy of Scout's Providence board in which a loyal Friar (FriarJr401) posits:

"If the connection end here then it's time for Providence College to join the ACC. We would be back in the best conference and the program would easily attract recruits. Players would love to play against programs like Duke, UNC, Florida State, Maryland and others."

Ah yes, makes tons of sense to me. Of course, we'll need another team to correct the imbalance. Let's get St. Johns in order to nail down the Big Apple as the new ACC Tourney site.

I think its this quote that will be the deathblow to the big east and the conference will eventually implode. The basketball schools will keep the big east name and the football schools will go to some other conference. The basketball schools feel entitled to the money even thought they dont bring to the table.

I think its this quote that will be the deathblow to the big east and the conference will eventually implode. The basketball schools will keep the big east name and the football schools will go to some other conference. The basketball schools feel entitled to the money even thought they dont bring **** to the table.

Yeah - once some of them get to the A10 or wherever they'll see how good they really had it.

I'd like to take this opportunity to declare victory in the debate OPA and I had about the Big East's "strategy". They've basically admitted that they haven't had one.

:D

I like the Consultant idea. They need fresh thinking. And I think these guys will do a great job...

Office-Space-Bobs.jpg

They need to hire a hatchet man, like the corporate axe man hired to liquidate divisions. Split the conference and walk away with a golden parachute.

If the BE is interested, I'm available.

Rutgers is the Pierre Francois de la Brioche of the Big East.

I had to look that one up to find out he was the guy who designed the Paris sewer system. He was also sewer worker Ed Norton's personal hero on one of the Honeymooner's episodes.

Where in Hell did you get that from? How would someone have this piece of information in their brain?

They need to hire a hatchet man, like the corporate axe man hired to liquidate divisions. Split the conference and walk away with a golden parachute.

If the BE is interested, I'm available.

I agree. I'm applying too.

I'll give them a plan that would be so aggressive it would make the German invasion of Poland look like a Sunday picnic for a troop of Brownies. They would, of course, reject it after peeing their expensive pants.

I had to look that one up to find out he was the guy who designed the Paris sewer system. He was also sewer worker Ed Norton's personal hero on one of the Honeymooner's episodes.

Where in Hell did you get that from? How would someone have this piece of information in their brain?
Honeymooner aficionado. Guy mentioned New York and sewer system and Ed Norton came to mind. Oh yeah and I watched Fight Club last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom