Marrone addresses the last 4th down decision... | Syracusefan.com

Marrone addresses the last 4th down decision...

supp

Hall of Fame
in his postgame interview. I didn't hear him or didn't listen closely enough to see if he talked about 4th down at the 32 as well. In any case, he said that if there were 6 mins rather than 8 left, he would have gone for it. He also thought that he could flip the field position there and pin USC deep, which would give the defense a chance to improve the offense's field position once they got it back. He said that he didn't want to take the game out of the kids' hands that early by letting USC score from midfield.

Some people have suggested that he has a problem thinking on the fly but it would seem to me that he's not doing much thinking at all. He's just following in these situations some internalized football coaches' down and distance guide that wasn't well thought out to begin with. The punt assumes that you have faith in your defense to stop them on 4 downs yet you don't go for it on 4th and 2 because you think the other team is going to score if you do? He talks for 15 minutes about how the schemes they ran were sound but that it's hard for a college team to stop 3 first round picks but you give the ball back to them anyway?

These are all signs of someone not thinking about the specific situation and just going by the "book." At least if you're thinking but your thinking is faulty, you might re-consider things the next time around. In this situation, there's no learning process because he's following the received wisdom which goes then unquestioned whether it works or not. In short, don't expect things to change on this front.

in his postgame interview. I didn't hear him or didn't listen closely enough to see if he talked about 4th down at the 32 as well. In any case, he said that if there were 6 mins rather than 8 left, he would have gone for it. He also thought that he could flip the field position there and pin USC deep, which would give the defense a chance to improve the offense's field position once they got it back. He said that he didn't want to take the game out of the kids' hands that early by letting USC score from midfield.

Some people have suggested that he has a problem thinking on the fly but it would seem to me that he's not doing much thinking at all. He's just following in these situations some internalized football coaches' down and distance guide that wasn't well thought out to begin with. The punt assumes that you have faith in your defense to stop them on 4 downs yet you don't go for it on 4th and 2 because you think the other team is going to score if you do? He talks for 15 minutes about how the schemes they ran were sound but that it's hard for a college team to stop 3 first round picks but you give the ball back to them anyway?

These are all signs of someone not thinking about the specific situation and just going by the "book." At least if you're thinking but your thinking is faulty, you might re-consider things the next time around. In this situation, there's no learning process because he's following the received wisdom which goes then unquestioned whether it works or not. In short, don't expect things to change on this front.
Scooch - textbook example (you like that OrangePA?) of a coach trying to delay losing rather than increase the chance of winning.

their book was probably written by someone with undiagnosed brain damage.

Hmmn...nice in theory, but a game isn't played in a vacuum. Have to realize the moment and the fact that we were moving the ball the entire 2nd half. Interestingly, in his theory, he instills enough belief/confidence that his special teams (punter) could pin SC deep, flipping the field position, etc., vs. taking advantage of already good field position and instilling the belief/confidence is his offense that we will pick up the first down on 4th & 2.

The irony is that we went for it on 4th and 7 late in the game (Sales caught a slant to convert it), which led to our final touchdown. So he's fully capable of making the call, he just came up with some poor excuses for making the wrong call earlier in the 4th quarter.

4th and 2 from mid field while trailing in the 4th quarter is really a no brainer - you have to go for it. I remember GRob making a similar call to punt vs Miami-OH and it was basically the end of his coaching career at SU. Let's hope Marrone learns from this mistake.

He said that he didn't want to take the game out of the kids' hands

Its exactly what he did. He over thinks things.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not only that I am still trying to figure out going for 2 with 3:45 left in the 3rd. In a close game those 3 errors in game strategy he made would have cost us.

Not only that I am still trying to figure out going for 2 with 3:45 left in the 3rd. In a close game those 3 errors in game strategy he made would have cost us.
He went for two to try and bring the game within a field goal. Even if you don't convert you just need a TD to tie, and a PAT to lead.

Yep. Yet so many people thought it was a good decision. It was good if you think from that point forward there wouldn't be any more scoring.

The going for 2 thing was too early IMO, especially considering they had no FG kicker.

For the life of me I can't understand why an SU team riding a long losing streak, playing on the big stage w/ the #2 team in the country, doesn't simply go "balls-to-the-wall" from start to finish.
What did he possibly have to lose by throwing caution to the winds and being unorthodox with the play-calling?
Go for it, Doug...:bang:
Just a bad and deflating decision, IMO. (n)

Going for 2 before the 4th quarter works against you more often than for you.

And here is the weakest point against going for 2. 42-31 looks better. Yeah weak, I know.

Marrone made some decisions that suggested he never thought the team with NFL first rounders all over the offense would ever get it going.

He punted from 4th and 32ish in the 1st qtr as well. The result? A 12 yard punt.

Need to go for a FG or 1st down in that situation.

He punted from 4th and 32ish in the 1st qtr as well. The result? A 12 yard punt.

Need to go for a FG or 1st down in that situation.

Or at least a 13 yard interception...happy WJLA in DC was telling me it was going to rain so I missed that play.

The going for 2 thing was too early IMO, especially considering they had no FG kicker.

I thought that was why he did it? There was no threat of a field goal increasing the lead beyond a touchdown if the two-point attempt was converted. And USC scoring a td would make no difference (two scores at that point anyway).

Or at least a 13 yard interception...happy WJLA in DC was telling me it was going to rain so I missed that play.

Had to go close the car windows huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom