Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks

True but there's a big difference in age and maturity.

Marrones qb recruits haven't even taken a meaningful snap in a game yet so we really have no real idea on how good they are. Sometimes knowing you're the man and in charge could have us see these qb's in a whole different light and once Nassib is gone they will obviously be getting more reps in practice so we'll see more then, confidence is a funny thing and when it grows it's like watching a kid read his first words.

Paulus had not played football in five years.

Of course, his greatest attributes were his maturity and intelligence.

Terrell has been in the program for a year and presumably has continued to study and get ready physically.

I can't believe that missing 15 practices - 15 - means the end of his season before it even begins.

Paulus had not played football in five years.

Of course, his greatest attributes were his maturity and intelligence.

Terrell has been in the program for a year and presumably has continued to study and get ready physically.

I can't believe that missing 15 practices - 15 - means the end of his season before it even begins.

Oh I don't think it's the end of his season by any means either. Hopefully he'll get back to what he does best and that's play football and none of the foolish business as I'd love to see him step up this year.

That's exactly the problem. You can't wait for SU to have a big lead. Other teams find ways to get their backup some quality experience, and benefit from this.
That's why Broyld will be playing...and before anyone says "But he's not the 2nd string QB"... It's May.

That's why Broyld will be playing...and before anyone says "But he's not the 2nd string QB"... It's May.

I agree that too many people get caught in semantics. If Broyld is the best at running the ball from the qb position and it's something Marrone is implementing, then by all means that's fine with me because Hunt/Loeb may still be the second qb in if something happens to Nassib or we have a huge lead...I want that huge lead thing and I'm sticking to it!

Marrone needs to rethink his approach and look for opportunities to get Hunt, oe somebody, into some games, outside of garbage time. You don't want to go into next year with a completely inexperienced QB.

Well, based on how he used Nassib during Paulus' year, I would say HCDM knows that he can do this IF he has someone behind the starter who can contribute.

Our defense has struggled against qb's that can move for too long and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. I agree it would be nice to have a quality running qb if that is the other teams weakness and if we could expose that it would help this team be more productive.

Most teams struggle against QB's who can move.

Let's give the staff a break. We have asked them to dig out of a huge hole and to make lemonade out of lemons.

What 4-star QB would come here at the moment? Nobody! The staff has been playing without any face cards so they have not had many good choices to make. We have no idea what they would be like if he had better choices. They saw something in this Wilson kid and they jumped on him. Good for them. We are not looking for RGIII - we just need someone that can be as good or better than Nassib. We can build from there.

Also, none of us have a clue what Hunt or Broyld will be next year - not a clue. Broyld is apparently the real deal - a play-maker we have all been clamoring for and DM is looking for ways to get him on the field. If you can play DM will get you some PT. The problem is that the guys that have been mentioned here just can't play.

The recruiting classes are by all measures improving albeit at a slower pace than we would like, but improving nonetheless. I think we are on the right track and there is cause to be hopeful that the future will be a lot brighter.

Good first post, Crusty.

Most teams struggle against QB's who can move.

I agree but SU has had problems with the wildcat for too long and I'm hoping the new big guys on DL will help that problem. Not too many teams if any had problems with that crappy running qb from uconn, not like we did.

I'm mainly responding to OP who said Doug didn't waver on him. If that was the case, he would have been the only offer. Definitely not a fall back, as a fall back would be offered in late december.
If you could wager a guess, who would you say gets the nod next year, save a bigtime commit this year?

Hunt seems to be the answer.

I hope the kid is for real.

I'll take Doug's unwavering stick-to-itiveness with the QB as opposed to Schiano's QB-destroying tactics.
or our own "2-headed QB" approach in the past.

No. Broyld should not be on the field under center. Nassib is too far ahead of him to risk taking him out for Ashton to run. It's like when they spoke about the Pats taking Tebow to run the wildcat. Why take Brady off the field? (I know it's a lofty comparison but it applies)

No. Broyld should not be on the field under center. Nassib is too far ahead of him to risk taking him out for Ashton to run. It's like when they spoke about the Pats taking Tebow to run the wildcat. Why take Brady off the field? (I know it's a lofty comparison but it applies)

Ummm... no. It does not. The gap between Brady and Tebow in terms of being a QB in the NFL is NOT the same as the gap between Nassib and Broyld and being a good QB in college. I agree with your premise, but that does not apply.

Ummm... no. It does not. The gap between Brady and Tebow in terms of being a QB in the NFL is NOT the same as the gap between Nassib and Broyld and being a good QB in college. I agree with your premise, but that does not apply.
So a college QB not being able to process the playbook/make more than one read should be on the field over a guy who knows our offense inside and out and goes through 3 reads usually each play? Come on. The Ashton hype machine is out of control at this point. I want the kid to do well too but it's not going to be at QB this year. If we run option it will probably be Nassib running it.

So a college QB not being able to process the playbook/make more than one read should be on the field over a guy who knows our offense inside and out and goes through 3 reads usually each play? Come on. The Ashton hype machine is out of control at this point. I want the kid to do well too but it's not going to be at QB this year. If we run option it will probably be Nassib running it.

Not saying that. Re-read my post. I agree that Nassib should be the starting QB. But the gap between Brady and Tebow is far greater than Nassib/Broyld, especially in the college game where you can get away with a lot more.

Yes, the Ashton hype is excessive -- not as if he had a break-out performance in the Spring game. Lots of promise, great physical gifts, but he will be a wing-back to start, and will need to adjust.

But the other point is that we need a back-up QB who is ready to contribute. Most of our rivals had one, and needed one because a starter got dinged up or needed relief or a change of pace. A couple of our rivals (UConn and Cincy) used back-up QBs to beat us.
Our offense in 2011 ran out of gas because it had nothing beyond the starters -- no spare RB (until Smith emerged in late November), no change of pace QB, no spare OL able to help etc. It showed in the fourth quarters; it showed in November.

You can attribute it to recruiting misses (and a fact of life in rebuilding a program), or not bringing in JUCO help for the offense, or bad luck (Gulley, Collier), or a coach's judgment to ride Nassib & Bailey as giving SU its best chance at the time.

Maybe we have bench help this year (Hunt, Broyld, Gulley, Kobena, Thompson) and maybe our OC is willing to use it.

Uh, no.

Womak was a dynamic player.

He did for SU what the UConn number two QB did last year.
I'm not disagreeing about Womack, but my original post was in reference to the era when we alternated QBs throughout the game (what was then called the "2-headed QB"). I intentionally didn't mention the names of the players or HC (and won't here) in an attempt to avoid eliciting a "hot button" defensive response that ends up hijacking the thread.

Marronne handling of the qb position on his watch has shown a weakness on his part same as P and that other guy.

I'm not disagreeing about Womack, but my original post was in reference to the era when we alternated QBs throughout the game (what was then called the "2-headed QB"). I intentionally didn't mention the names of the players or HC (and won't here) in an attempt to avoid eliciting a "hot button" defensive response that ends up hijacking the thread.

Well. What's your point?

The two-headed QB can work if the QBs are sufficiently talented.

Toledo used it well last year. K-State has used it effectivley.

And UConn used to cover the deficiencies of its starting QB - It worked well against SU.

Marronne handling of the qb position on his watch has shown a weakness on his part same as P and that other guy.

Yeah

Funny how the other was such a good coach with McPherson, Philcox, McDonald, Graves, McNabn and became a bad coach with Patterson, Nunes.

Brilliant analysis.