Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks

Can't run a spread offense when you can't block long enough for people to get downfield.
You've got it backwards. Teams go spread because they can't block well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Can't run a spread offense when you can't block long enough for people to get downfield.

That's the whole point of running a spread, BECAUSE your line blows.

Marrone has been real lucky that Nassib is durable. There hasn't been a game ready talent behind him. We have seen some of Loeb and Kinder (in Spring games). Maybe they would rise to the occasion if handed the ball, but it would worry me a lot.

How do we know that ? Nassib got some packages in every game when Paulus was the QB. Doug hasn't done that since Nassib took over. I think that's bad preparation for the future. You've got to get your back-up QBs SOME snaps out there. We were 5-2 at one point last year. You would think that a young QB could have gotten some mop-up snaps in a couple of those games.

How do we know that ? Nassib got some packages in every game when Paulus was the QB. Doug hasn't done that since Nassib took over. I think that's bad preparation for the future. You've got to get your back-up QBs SOME snaps out there. We were 5-2 at one point last year. You would think that a young QB could have gotten some mop-up snaps in a couple of those games.
I dont disagree with your theory. Who would they have put in last year Loeb or Kinder? Hunt was redshirting and Miller was suspended. Loeb has looked bad when I have seen him, it takes him five minutes to let go of the ball and it almost hits the dome ceiling. Kinder looked better this spring, but still has a low delivery and struggled to make average throws. The sad thing is the actions of Miller and Hunt have but Marrone in a tough position.

I dont disagree with your theory. Who would they have put in last year Loeb or Kinder? Hunt was redshirting and Miller was suspended. Loeb has looked bad when I have seen him, it takes him five minutes to let go of the ball and it almost hits the dome ceiling. Kinder looked better this spring, but still has a low delivery and struggled to make average throws. The sad thing is the actions of Miller and Hunt have but Marrone in a tough position.

Well, obviously Kinder was the running QB, so it should have been him, just as Ryan got the chance with Paulus.

Well, obviously Kinder was the running QB, so it should have been him, just as Ryan got the chance with Paulus.
Ryan was put in because he was faster and had a better arm than Paulus. Marrone knew that Nassib was going to be the next starting quarterback and he brought something different. Kinder is most likely never going to see the field at quarterback, why take Nassib out. If Hunt had not screwed up this year I would have said get him on the field for 4 or 5 plays a game, but he did so now he is behind.

Ryan was put in because he was faster and had a better arm than Paulus.

With that line of thinking...Broyld will be put in because he is faster, a better runner, and has better accuracy on the long ball than Nassib.

With that line of thinking...Broyld will be put in because he is faster, a better runner, and has better accuracy on the long ball than Nassib.

Ashton is also a better cook than Nassib and has less speeding tickets on his driving record.

Seriously though, the hype for this kid is ridiculous. He doesn't throw a better deep ball than Nassib. Nassib just had no time/no one to throw a deep ball too last year.

McNabb threw a pretty deep ball under duress ... great QBs make those throws, thats what we need.

I hope Broyld or Hunt come in and can hit the open receiver under pressure, otherwise it is more the same

Lots of college QBs can hit the deep ball with suspect lines ... Ryan unfortunately struggles and it hurts the O ability to move the chains and open things up

Ryan was put in because he was faster and had a better arm than Paulus. Marrone knew that Nassib was going to be the next starting quarterback and he brought something different. Kinder is most likely never going to see the field at quarterback, why take Nassib out. If Hunt had not screwed up this year I would have said get him on the field for 4 or 5 plays a game, but he did so now he is behind.
15 spring practices does not make a kid who has been in the program for two years already.

McNabb threw a pretty deep ball under duress ... great QBs make those throws, thats what we need.

I hope Broyld or Hunt come in and can hit the open receiver under pressure, otherwise it is more the same

Lots of college QBs can hit the deep ball with suspect lines ... Ryan unfortunately struggles and it hurts the O ability to move the chains and open things up

Hit all 4 of his deep balls in the Spring Game.

Thats spring ... didnt hit many in game last season ... hopefully he hits a higher percentage this season

Ryan threw the ball well in the spring game. Two of the out throws were very well thrown. I hope that the staff doesnt put him in horrible third down situations like last year. I really believe that Ryan is a guy who when he gets a little confidence does very well but if he starts out slow and is put into third and long situations he tightens up. I hope we see a ton of first and second down passing plays this year.

Ashton is also a better cook than Nassib and has less speeding tickets on his driving record.

Seriously though, the hype for this kid is ridiculous. He doesn't throw a better deep ball than Nassib. Nassib just had no time/no one to throw a deep ball too last year.
I don't think the hype is ridiculous because I don't see that much hype. He's a good athlete and Marrone said he wants the kid on the field. That's hype?

As far as "He doesn't throw a better deep ball than Nassib" ... and you are sure of that how?

15 spring practices does not make a kid who has been in the program for two years already.

How has Hunt been with the team for two years already? Isn't he beginning his second year this fall?

How has Hunt been with the team for two years already? Isn't he beginning his second year this fall?
Yes you are correct i was thinking of Kinder This was a big loss for Hunt as he could have really used the spring i still think that he starts next year

Yes you are correct i was thinking of Kinder This was a big loss for Hunt as he could have really used the spring i still think that he starts next year

Personally, I don't care which QB succeeds Nassib, but we desperately need either Hunt or Broyld to be that guy.

Hard to believe that we're still waiting 13 years later for a top line QB starter...

As far as "He doesn't throw a better deep ball than Nassib" ... and you are sure of that how?

Bnoro has to defend himself for essentially saying Nassib has better QB skills than Broyld?

I saw the team practice/play five or six times this spring. Nothing even sticks in my head about Broyld playing QB, let alone throwing deep passes. On the other hand, Nassib looked like a pretty good 5th-year senior QB.

Bnoro has to defend himself for essentially saying Nassib has better QB skills than Broyld?

Well, in college, the QB running and scrambling is part of QB skills. I think most people think Broyld is probably better than Nassib in that category. So in some cases, Broyld may very well have better skills at QB than Nassib. And Nassib, while I think he physically has the skills to run, he does not seem to have the instinct to know when to run or when to stay. He's slow on making the decision and that has killed him. I hope he has improved over last year.

And I agree with this that he said: "Who has been given a chance to play? Are you basing it on the spring game? Unless you have a source in the program or watch practice everyday I don't think you are qualified to make that assessment (Sounds a bit harsh but a lot of people on this board aren't qualified to make the statements they do). "

So it's surprising that he is writing off Broyld playing QB this year ...even though we know (because Marrone said so) that Marrone wants Broyld on the field. Does anyone really think Nassib is so solid (some in this thread compared him to Brady) that he will have no competition at QB? Did you see the games last year? And please, enough about the line. I saw plenty of bad throws that had nothing to do with the line play.

As for all the comments about "hype"...not sure what that means. Marrone said he wants Broyld on the field. That's not hype. I haven't seen anyone claiming Broyld should start at QB...that would be hype.

On the other hand, Nassib looked like a pretty good 5th-year senior QB.

That's fine. But I feel like last spring and last summer, if not farther back, we always hear about how good he (or anyone for that matter) looks when playing against our own guys. The reality is that NOTHING that happens in practice matters. The name of the game is winning.

That's fine. But I feel like last spring and last summer, if not farther back, we always hear about how good he (or anyone for that matter) looks when playing against our own guys. The reality is that NOTHING that happens in practice matters. The name of the game is winning.

And yet, everyone can't WAIT to see Durell Eskridge on the field because he made all kinds of problems for the team's wide outs in practice last fall.

That's only because they can't catch him.

I don't believe there was a good back-up option at QB last season. Same observation at RB -- it all fell to Bailey once Gulley was injured because AAM and Smith weren't ready.
Let's face it -- Marrone has had holes/lack of depth at LB, QB and RB. Haven't had the recruiting break-throughs at those spots -- and haven't gone JUCO (except Diabate) to provide that depth.

Personally, I don't care which QB succeeds Nassib, but we desperately need either Hunt or Broyld to be that guy.
Hard to believe that we're still waiting 13 years later for a top line QB starter...
No we're not. Ryan Nassib is a top line QB starter. He's broken the school record for passing yards in a season and he has a really admirable TD/Int ratio. You may want him to be a superstar, but you can't say he isn't a top line starter.