Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks | Syracusefan.com

Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks

OrangeAl

2023 Cali Award Receiving Touchdowns
Whether good or bad is up for discussion, but look at Doug's decisions on QB's.
He quickly settled on Redshirt Freshman Ryan Nassib as his QB after a week of spring practice.
He decided Greg Paulus was a good fit for SU so he went and got him and put him in the starting lineup.
The next year he turns things back to Ryan and keeps all the others glued to the bench.
This year he signs little known Austin Wilson, who hadn't been on anybody's radar.
It seems like Doug makes swift judgments on QB's and then doesn't waffle. In my opinion that's a strength of his, not a weakness.
Agree or disagree?

He quickly settled on Redshirt Freshman Ryan Nassib as his QB after a week of spring practice.
He decided Greg Paulus was a good fit for SU so he went and got him and put him in the starting lineup.
The next year he turns things back to Ryan and keeps all the others glued to the bench.
This year he signs little known Austin Wilson, who hadn't been on anybody's radar.
It seems like Doug makes swift judgments on QB's and then doesn't waffle. In my opinion that's a strength of his, not a weakness.
Agree or disagree?
No. Keeping all others glued to the bench has nothing to do with swift judgements and everything to do with no better options. Austin Wilson isn't the future of the position for us, we had 12 other QB offers out, any one of them could have accepted. Wilson did well at a camp so we offered. He will not be the starter next year, Hunt or Broyld or Kinder will be.

Agree or disagree?

Unwavering. Pigheaded. To-mato. Ta-mato.

QB has been a failure under Doug so far. Nassib's development aside (at the end of the day, Ryan is serviceable) this staff has swung and missed on Loeb, Miller and Kinder. Hunt is TBD. AB is a wild card who might not be a QB for us at the end of the day.

No. Keeping all others glued to the bench has nothing to do with swift judgements and everything to do with no better options. Austin Wilson isn't the future of the position for us, we had 12 other QB offers out, any one of them could have accepted. Wilson did well at a camp so we offered. He will not be the starter next year, Hunt or Broyld or Kinder will be.

Hunt has a great deal of ground to make up. There is at least one staff member who thinks that missing all of spring practice is a pretty big deal for a QB. No one is saying Hunt can't do it, but this is considered a major set back in his development by those whose opinion matters most.

QB has been a failure under Doug so far. Nassib's development aside (at the end of the day, Ryan is serviceable) this staff has swung and missed on Loeb, Miller and Kinder. Hunt is TBD. AB is a wild card who might not be a QB for us at the end of the day.
I have to agree with this.

Based on what? Who has been given a chance to play? Are you basing it on the spring game? Unless you have a source in the program or watch practice everyday I don't think you are qualified to make that assessment (Sounds a bit harsh but a lot of people on this board aren't qualified to make the statements they do).

Hunt has a great deal of ground to make up. There is at least one staff member who thinks that missing all of spring practice is a pretty big deal for a QB. No one is saying Hunt can't do it, but this is considered a major set back in his development by those whose opinion matters most.
I realize this as well. I think, however, with a full season learning from Ryan, and another spring next year, that he may be ready to take the reigns in 2013.

I'll take Doug's unwavering stick-to-itiveness with the QB as opposed to Schiano's QB-destroying tactics.

If a program offers a QB a scholarship, they see something that may translate to the D1 level. For Kinder, it was his athletic ability, in hopes that he would be able to pick up the mental aspect. Thus far, he has not. Every kid is different. Just because Wilson was one of 12, doesn't mean he was a fall back (and I realize that isn't exactly what you are saying, but that's kind of what you are implying.) And no true freshman QB that SU recruits will ever start for them. It's not the nature of our program, right or wrong.

If a program offers a QB a scholarship, they see something that may translate to the D1 level. For Kinder, it was his athletic ability, in hopes that he would be able to pick up the mental aspect. Thus far, he has not. Every kid is different. Just because Wilson was one of 12, doesn't mean he was a fall back (and I realize that isn't exactly what you are saying, but that's kind of what you are implying.) And no true freshman QB that SU recruits will ever start for them. It's not the nature of our program, right or wrong.
I'm mainly responding to OP who said Doug didn't waver on him. If that was the case, he would have been the only offer. Definitely not a fall back, as a fall back would be offered in late december.

Hunt will be under center next year

Yes but see Geg Paulus.

Based on what? Who has been given a chance to play? Are you basing it on the spring game? Unless you have a source in the program or watch practice everyday I don't think you are qualified to make that assessment (Sounds a bit harsh but a lot of people on this board aren't qualified to make the statements they do).

Based on our three-year starting QB being mediocre on good days.

Yes but see Geg Paulus.

True but there's a big difference in age and maturity.

Marrones qb recruits haven't even taken a meaningful snap in a game yet so we really have no real idea on how good they are. Sometimes knowing you're the man and in charge could have us see these qb's in a whole different light and once Nassib is gone they will obviously be getting more reps in practice so we'll see more then, confidence is a funny thing and when it grows it's like watching a kid read his first words.

Marrone has been real lucky that Nassib is durable. There hasn't been a game ready talent behind him. We have seen some of Loeb and Kinder (in Spring games). Maybe they would rise to the occasion if handed the ball, but it would worry me a lot.

I realize this as well. I think, however, with a full season learning from Ryan, and another spring next year, that he may be ready to take the reigns in 2013.
Marrone needs to rethink his approach and look for opportunities to get Hunt, oe somebody, into some games, outside of garbage time. You don't want to go into next year with a completely inexperienced QB.

"It seems like Doug makes swift judgments on QB's and then doesn't waffle. In my opinion that's a strength of his, not a weakness."

I am sure Marrone carefully weighs things before making a decision. He made Nassib the starter after that first spring ball because Nassib was the best QB on that team. He watched Nassib practice for weeks before naming him the starter. When Paulus came in, that changed and Paulus was the best QB (after review by Marrone). The next year, Nassib was again the best QB. Marrone will start the best available players. I am not sure that is all that unique.

Marrone needs to rethink his approach and look for opportunities to get Hunt, oe somebody, into some games, outside of garbage time. You don't want to go into next year with a completely inexperienced QB.

I like the idea of SU scoring 40+ points a game and then they get some PT!

I like the idea of SU scoring 40+ points a game and then they get some PT!
That's exactly the problem. You can't wait for SU to have a big lead. Other teams find ways to get their backup some quality experience, and benefit from this.

That's exactly the problem. You can't wait for SU to have a big lead. Other teams find ways to get their backup some quality experience, and benefit from this.

I know, I'm a dreamer first and a realist second.

Maybe a stallion, pistol, wildcat or whatever the heck they call it to get a qb some reps. The problem is as you mentioned, moving the ball consistently so you're not taking valuable reps from Nassib. Marrone probably has a plan in place to put in a backup qb but it has to be the circumstances that he desires for example on the SU 35 and up 20-3. Maybe Nassib is such a rhythm qb he wants him to get in a groove and doesn't want to take a chance to lose an opportunity. I'm sure it's more of...we need to move the ball now, we're in a good groove I don't want to mess it up...can't put in new qb due to fear of losing the ball or momentum. It just never seems like the right time because of our lack of production, I agree.

Yes -- and UConn beat us last year with a change-of-pace back-up QB who could run the ball. And Pasqualone was smart enough to mix it up. In fairness, Marrone didn't have a similar talent on his bench, but that was part of the problem.

I'd love to know who those teams are. You know, teams that have no other QB close in ability and teams that also struggle to win games. I can think of no teams in that scenario that manage to get their substantially inferior backups snaps. Coach has not had the luxury of being able to overcome costly mistakes by inexperienced QB play. That is the one position that can regularly turn a mistake into 6 points for the opponent.

it's a big deal as far as him being ready for the 2012 season, but not for him being ready to go for 2013

Yes -- and UConn beat us last year with a change-of-pace back-up QB who could run the ball. And Pasqualone was smart enough to mix it up. In fairness, Marrone didn't have a similar talent on his bench, but that was part of the problem.

Our defense has struggled against qb's that can move for too long and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. I agree it would be nice to have a quality running qb if that is the other teams weakness and if we could expose that it would help this team be more productive.

Let's give the staff a break. We have asked them to dig out of a huge hole and to make lemonade out of lemons.

What 4-star QB would come here at the moment? Nobody! The staff has been playing without any face cards so they have not had many good choices to make. We have no idea what they would be like if he had better choices. They saw something in this Wilson kid and they jumped on him. Good for them. We are not looking for RGIII - we just need someone that can be as good or better than Nassib. We can build from there.

Also, none of us have a clue what Hunt or Broyld will be next year - not a clue. Broyld is apparently the real deal - a play-maker we have all been clamoring for and DM is looking for ways to get him on the field. If you can play DM will get you some PT. The problem is that the guys that have been mentioned here just can't play.

The recruiting classes are by all measures improving albeit at a slower pace than we would like, but improving nonetheless. I think we are on the right track and there is cause to be hopeful that the future will be a lot brighter.