Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone doesn't waver on Quarterbacks

Just check out his win loss record and the performance of the qb position under his watch.

The others (winning SU coaches) were good at evaluating qb's at the high school level and bringing them in and developing them. Patterson was not a bad qb, coach Mac's staff would hav developed him.

Just check out his win loss record and the performance of the qb position under his watch.

The others (winning SU coaches) were good at evaluating qb's at the high school level and bringing them in and developing them. Patterson was not a bad qb, coach Mac's staff would hav developed him.

Dude you specifically said "Marronne handling of the qb position on his watch has shown a weakness"

What has he mishandled there?

A decent line would have helped PP most of all.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I think a fair comparison for Broyld would be, if he is under center next year (which we shouldn't assume he will be), Teddy Bridgewater this past season with more mobility, though Bridgewater this past year is probably a better passer than Broyld will be next year (again, assuming he is under center)

Well. What's your point?

The two-headed QB can work if the QBs are sufficiently talented.

Toledo used it well last year. K-State has used it effectivley.

And UConn used to cover the deficiencies of its starting QB - It worked well against SU.
My original post wasn't in reference to any of the teams you mention. It specifically mentioned the previous "2 headed QB" era at SU. I found the lack of rhythm and continuity of offense maddening, and by any standards it was not successful (though perhaps it was the best we could do given the talent level of the QBs involved).

I think it's fair to say that every HC in the country would prefer to have a single QB establish himself as the team leader, and be able to shape the offense around his skill set.

Dude you specifically said "Marronne handling of the qb position on his watch has shown a weakness"

What has he mishandled there?
Just how thick are you? He has mishandled qb development. What qb has developed into a capable starter that can direct this team to 9/10 win season and a second tier bowl game at the minimum?

Just how thick are you? He has mishandled qb development. What qb has developed into a capable starter that can direct this team to 9/10 win season and a second tier bowl game at the minimum?
Ryan Nassib?

How do you know he hasn't developed a backup QB into a capable starter that can direct this team to 9/10 win season and a second tier bowl game at the minimum? What the hell are you basing that statement on?

are you trying to imply that if only Nassib were better, last year's team was a 9 or 10 win team? :crazy:

What 4-star QB would come here at the moment? Nobody!
So true. 4 star QBs aren't walking through that door.

If only the Syracuse program had one thing, just one thing, that made them completely unique and stand apart from all other BCS programs.

Who knows what it could be. Just something.

Maybe... no, nevermind, it's crazy.

But what if, I mean really, what if Syracuse just happened to play its home games in the only weather controlled environment in the BCS? And in order to take advantage of those climate controlled conditions, the offense was designed to be predicated on speed and spread formations with an extreme emphasis on passing? And the staff told the 4 star QBs, and maybe even 5 star QBs, if you come here your arm is going to get tired we'll be throwing it so much? And you're going to leave school with every passing record in the books?

Maybe, just maybe, we might be able to get a 4 star QB that way.

But alas, it isn't meant to be I guess. There's no way we'd have a completely unique advantage from all other BCS schools like that weather controlled environment. No way.

But what if, I mean really, what if Syracuse just happened to play its home games in the only weather controlled environment in the BCS? And in order to take advantage of those climate controlled conditions, the offense was designed to be predicated on speed and spread formations with an extreme emphasis on passing? And the staff told the 4 star QBs, and maybe even 5 star QBs, if you come here your arm is going to get tired we'll be throwing it so much? And you're going to leave school with every passing record in the books?

Maybe, just maybe, we might be able to get a 4 star QB that way.

But alas, it isn't meant to be I guess. There's no way we'd have a completely unique advantage from all other BCS schools like that weather controlled environment. No way.

I suppose having a flock of 4-5 star WR's might help. You know, for that emphasis on speed.

Because a 5 star QB isn't going to be happy throwing 40-50 bubble screens every game.

I suppose having a flock of 4-5 star WR's might help. You know, for that emphasis on speed.

Because a 5 star QB isn't going to be happy throwing 40-50 bubble screens every game.
HOLY CRAP MAN, DON'T YOU THINK IT WOULD BE PRETTY EASY TO CHANGE THE PITCH TO THE WR TO SAY "WE'RE GOING TO THROW SO MUCH THAT YOU'RE GOING TO CATCH SO MANY PASSES YOU TORCH OUR RECORD BOOKS?"

LOUD NOISES!!!

But seriously, your rebuttal... yeah, not well thought out bro.

You're dead wrong.

Marrone has developed Nassib into a bowl-winning QB. He has squeezed as much out of the kid as is possible.

The fact is that there is little talent at that position right now.

Once again a fan who seems to think that coaches can simply create talent. They can't. They are limited to what they have to work with.

Lets see how Marrone recruits the position as our program developes.

Some of these arguments are kind of ridiculous, especially the ones that we need a change of pace QB. Why? Because teams with inferior QBs are doing it? Did USF or UL or any other school with a viable starter do that last year? No! Schools like UConn (they had a QB last year?) and I'm not even sure who the heck else you are implying did this because there are VERY few teams in the NCAA that play multiple QBs. Nassib is a top 30 QB, at the least. There is no way the staff is going to take him out of the game unless we are way ahead or way behind (God forbid). Some of you act like Nassib is terrible...then why does he hold school passing records when he has never had a top WR to throw to or an above average line? Broyld will play in the slot and at RB, so some of you need to get that through your head. If another QB plays at all this year it will be Hunt.

And for God's sake, Marrone hasn't developed anyone at QB? Last time I checked he developed Nassib into a bowl winning QB, and Hunt made huge progress last Fall. I'm not sure Matt Barkley could win nine games playing for SU.

No. Broyld should not be on the field under center. Nassib is too far ahead of him to risk taking him out for Ashton to run. It's like when they spoke about the Pats taking Tebow to run the wildcat. Why take Brady off the field? (I know it's a lofty comparison but it applies)
It really does not apply at all.

HOLY CRAP MAN, DON'T YOU THINK IT WOULD BE PRETTY EASY TO CHANGE THE PITCH TO THE WR TO SAY "WE'RE GOING TO THROW SO MUCH THAT YOU'RE GOING TO CATCH SO MANY PASSES YOU TORCH OUR RECORD BOOKS?"

LOUD NOISES!!!

But seriously, your rebuttal... yeah, not well thought out bro.

Seriously bro, if recruiting was that simple ... SU would have had 15 Biletnikoff winners since the Dome opened.

You're dead wrong.

Marrone has developed Nassib into a bowl-winning QB. He has squeezed as much out of the kid as is possible.

The fact is that there is little talent at that position right now.

Once again a fan who seems to think that coaches can simply create talent. They can't. They are limited to what they have to work with.

Lets see how Marrone recruits the position as our program developes.

Totally agree on what Marrone has done with Nassib.

One can make an issue that Marrone has not brought in a QB entering his fourth year that is a no-brainer #2 at the very least that is a wee bit frustrating on many levels.

Seriously bro, if recruiting was that simple ... SU would have had 15 Biletnikoff winners since the Dome opened.
Well, we really don't know if it could be that simple. We haven't had a coach that has tried it.

I can't be the only one that thinks it's a little weird that we have a completely unique venue among all BCS programs and we've never really done much to take advantage of that.

Well, we really don't know if it could be that simple. We haven't had a coach that has tried it.

I can't be the only one that thinks it's a little weird that we have a completely unique venue among all BCS programs and we've never really done much to take advantage of that.

How do you know that? Are you at the in-home recruiting visits to QBs? You're smarter than this, OiG.

Didn't GRob and Pariani try it? :)

How do you know that? Are you at the in-home recruiting visits to QBs? You're smarter than this, OiG.
System, man. System. You're leaving out the whole key to the thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Didn't GRob and Pariani try it? :)
Ugh. No. You guys are focusing way too much on the wrong part of my statement and not at all on the parts that matter.

System, man. System. You're leaving out the whole key to the thing.

Can't run a spread offense when you can't block long enough for people to get downfield.

Can't run a spread offense when you can't block long enough for people to get downfield.

Isn't our head coach a former NFL offensive line coach?