Marrone Situation | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Situation

If 1-2 of those jobs opens up - I am suggesting that Marrone would (A) have a very good shot at either filling 1-2 of those jobs or (B) filling 1-2 of the jobs that a current staff leaves to take one of the prime jobs. Ultimately I think Doug gets an NFL job and is not returning.

Doug is a smart guy. If he was planning on returning to SU given the dream job statements he has made in the past, it would not play out this way. Either we would not hear about the NFL interviews, or Doug would be on record disputing the rumors in a public form to hedge downside damage if he did not get a job and returned to SU.

To me, Doug is clearly lobbying in public for greater commitment from the University - to resources and to salaries. He also has to be disappointed about the lack of fan support. To me, the next couple years will determine SU's football future. I think we need to act to keep this coaching staff together for the next few years to smooth the transition to the ACC, and we need to borrow against that ACC television money to make sure that we are competitive.

If we let the football team slide back down into the gutter, that's eventually going to bring down the basketball program as well, and SU will decline as a school. Like it or not, televised sports and success on the field boosts applications to the school and boosts donations.

None of this makes any sense. If things had become so bad, why not interview for one of the college jobs that opened up this year? Tennessee in particular? Is it more honorable to stay for the bowl game and then abandon the program? If the NFL is interested in a guy that goes 8-5 at Syracuse, then who's to say that 7-6 at Tennessee wouldn't garner the same interest? The issues he supposedly has with the admins here aren't new clearly, so we can't talk about this all popping up within the last few weeks. People want to say that his interest in the NFL is due to all these structural problems that the program has and it may have them but the idea that this is driving Marrone off to the NFL is nonsense. There doesn't have to be any direct cause and effect and there almost never is pure rational thinking at work in decisions like this.

There are problems here but you folks have gone off the deep end.

Well, there hasn't seemed to be any rush by Dr. Gross to take care of Marrone's contract situation. Every day that he is out there publicly as a candidate for a new job and not be offered a new contract is a bad sign.

Well, there hasn't seemed to be any rush by Dr. Gross to take care of Marrone's contract situation. Every day that he is out there publicly as a candidate for a new job and not be offered a new contract is a bad sign.

Just because a public announcement wasn't made doesn't mean that a contract extension wasn't agreed to weeks ago.

His biggest issue was that he thinks he took a HC job too soon, because his kids have been picked on in school. That leads me to believe he isn't going to a NFL team, at least not yet.

Are you serious? I find this hard to believe. Same applies to the "family flying apart" comment above. I mean, he's been coaching for a while now. He has moved around a lot to accommodate his career path, And now suddenly his family is an issue after he's been in one place longer than any other coach in the conference?

Just because a public announcement wasn't made doesn't mean that a contract extension wasn't agreed to weeks ago.

So, the good Doctor knows this is all a charade? That doesn't make sense either.

So, the good Doctor knows this is all a charade? That doesn't make sense either.

This is going to be all conspiracy-theory-like, but bear with me... Who wants to spend money to get good at FB? Marrone and the good doctor. Who doesn't?

Are you serious? I find this hard to believe. Same applies to the "family flying apart" comment above. I mean, he's been coaching for a while now. He has moved around a lot to accommodate his career path, And now suddenly his family is an issue after he's been in one place longer than any other coach in the conference?

If the children become a target I would think for any parent that would be a deal breaker. I would be looking to get out as well.

If the children become a target I would think for any parent that would be a deal breaker. I would be looking to get out as well.
That will happen anywhere he goes, the children being a target isn't a Syracuse thing.

That will happen anywhere he goes, the children being a target isn't a Syracuse thing.

Sadly you are correct. Just thinking bigger pond and the children wouldn't need to be in the city or state he is coaching.

That might be true if his contract was the biggest issue or an issue at all.

If Marrone is 110% out he should have done the right thing and left in December. We could have had a decent replacement (Addazio, etc). Now he would just be screwing over SU and in that case he can go to hell. However if he is just fighting for improvements then good for him that is part of his job (ahem Coach P).

Really, when did the NFL jobs become available? Why would he leave before being hired at the next job.

Are you really that dim?

If he is going to leave no matter what (meaning even taking a year off and no way coming back to SU) then yes it is a total dick move to stick around and screw SU.

Who said he wasn't coming back no matter what?

JerseyOrange in the post that started this thread.

I do not see Marrone coming back. Can circumstances change? Of course. But as of right now I do not see him coming back. I do not believe this is posturing - if so - you at least try to keep it out of the public and deny rumors.

JerseyOrange in the post that started this thread.

That's not what JO said. He said Marrone was getting another HC job somewhere. What he didn't say is that Marrone was gone regardless of what happens, including resigning, which is what I was replying to.

I do not see Marrone coming back. Can circumstances change? Of course. But as of right now I do not see him coming back. I do not believe this is posturing - if so - you at least try to keep it out of the public and deny rumors.

You mean that he would resign if he doesn't get another job somewhere else?

That's not what JO said. He said Marrone was getting another HC job somewhere. What he didn't say is that Marrone was gone regardless of what happens, including resigning, which is what I was replying to.

That is right. I believe Doug will have another head coaching job when this is all said and done - most likely in the NFL. He is a good fit for college but an even better fit as an NFL coach. He will never resign. Rahme does not believe that he would consider another college job (and Rahme is a great source) but I am not 100% sure I agree.

You mean that he would resign if he doesn't get another job somewhere else?

Absolutely no chance he resigns. There was a point where I do not think Marrone would even take an NFL job over the Syracuse job - but that time has passed.

Absolutely no chance he resigns. There was a point where I do not think Marrone would even take an NFL job over the Syracuse job - but that time has passed.

Complete agreement on that.

really hard to see him be the #1-2-3 choice of any of the spots looking right now. And even he knows that if he doesn't stay or go soon the recruiting class is really going take a dump..

Complete agreement on that.

That's a little sad, considering corner turned, ACC, his recruits, etc. I understand his fustrations if they are what I think they are but he needed to get in a posistion to state his case for SU football - which he is now in.

seeing charlie strong's post game interview on the field with Quint made me sad.

That's a little sad, considering corner turned, ACC, his recruits, etc. I understand his fustrations if they are what I think they are but he needed to get in a posistion to state his case for SU football - which he is now in.
I agree. I wish I understood all of his frustrations. I obviously do not. While I agree that the University AND fanbase has not invested in him or this program I feel that right now he is finally reached the position to state his case for SU football.

It is sad that it got to this point. That's what upsets me is that it was an issue or set of issues that could have been rectified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom