Marrone Situation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone Situation

Honest question. In general, if Marrone were to take an NFL HC job, how would his working hours (in terms of #/day) compare to what he does now? Would it be year-round?

Because I'm an unabashed Bill Belichick fan boy I've read a few books about him and the Patriots over the past few years. He keeps insane hours, like every other NFL coach. I know what someone spends his time on differs between the pros and college (obviously no recruiting or gladhanding boosters in the NFL, but a much longer season, draft/free agency prep, etc), but I'm not sure it's any less.

And for the records this is not one of those "I know something" posts that float around on those boards because I do not have any answers. I have heard rumors but have no way of knowing if they are true.

Oh. Well you kinda presented it that way. Good to know, thanks.

Well, 99 percent of the college jobs open up because a rebuild is required, and I think once is enough for any sane individual, not that college coaches in general are very sane.

Because I'm an unabashed Bill Belichick fan boy I've read a few books about him and the Patriots over the past few years. He keeps insane hours, like every other NFL coach. I know what someone spends his time on differs between the pros and college (obviously no recruiting or gladhanding boosters in the NFL, but a much longer season, draft/free agency prep, etc), but I'm not sure it's any less.
OK. So based on Dave's comments, my new working hypothesis is that time spent away from home, on recruiting trips etc., is wreaking havoc with his marriage and family. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes with an NFL team, but he only travels to 8 away games each season, plus possibly training camp, right? If his family is on the verge of flying apart due to his job, this all makes sense.

I like marrone. I really do. I also think we can find a replacement. However with the replacement comes transfers and decommits that I cannot hack again. That replacement must be a big time recruiter to get the EO's and others like him fast Rebuilding once every 25 years is more than enough for me. I worry for the program given the new conference affilliation and all the excitement next year brings. We can't afford to have a bunch of guys graduate, have crap recruiting class and then have a bunch of guys transfer or run off. Catching up on numbers takes years. No way around it. I can't take another 4 years hoping to make it to a pinstripe bowl.

I was under the impression that coaching SU football, was his dream job?

He reserves the right to go wherever he wants, but if he wanted to stay at SU, wouldn't he have a deal done by now?

OK. So based on Dave's comments, my new working hypothesis is that time spent away from home, on recruiting trips etc., is wreaking havoc with his marriage and family. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes with an NFL team, but he only travels to 8 away games each season, plus possibly training camp, right? If his family is on the verge of flying apart due to his job, this all makes sense.
His biggest issue was that he thinks he took a HC job too soon, because his kids have been picked on in school. That leads me to believe he isn't going to a NFL team, at least not yet.

His biggest issue was that he thinks he took a HC job too soon, because his kids have been picked on in school. That leads me to believe he isn't going to a NFL team, at least not yet.

Right. Kids of eagles fans won't pick on his kids at all. C'mon. Home school, go to MPH, win lots of games. There are so many options to address. But going to an NFL will not solve the kids getting picked on problem.

There's 10 away games, including pre-season. Training camp depends on the franchise. The Pats train right in Foxboro, so no one is "away" necessarily. The Bills train on Rochester, so not sure if that's commutable for the coaches. I suspect not, which means being away for a month-ish.

I mean the stories of NFL head coaches barely knowing their families are legendary. I saw a great documentary on Lombardi last year where his daughter said that he was barely around, and when he was half the time he was so distracted that he might as well have not been home. And that was in the 1960s, I imagine it's much worse in 2013.

I would sincerely hope that your hypothesis is wrong, because becoming and NFL HC would seem to be just about the worst way to "save" your family.

I would sincerely hope that your hypothesis is wrong, because becoming and NFL HC would seem to be just about the worst way to "save" your family.
Good info to know. This angle has personal relevance, because I worked for a startup in silicon valley for about 2 years, and it was a Bad Decision.

Not a good working hypothesis, java.

Dave, do you think the University can fix the problem(s) and work this out with Doug? Or is it too late and too complicated? Thank you

Not a good working hypothesis, java.

You mean trying to interpret a simple post or two on the internet and then creating ones own hypothesis from it isnt a good idea? Im actually shocked that his "hypothesis" didnt get its own 10 page thread. :eek:

I personally would be stunned, and I mean stunned, if he left for another college job. And if he was close to leaving after the first PS game he never mentioned it to me. Never.
Thanks for sharing that, Dave. Clears up some misconceptions out there.

You mean trying to interpret a simple post or two on the internet and then creating ones own hypothesis from it isnt a good idea? Im actually shocked that his "hypothesis" didnt get its own 10 page thread. :eek:
We have now eliminated one plausible reason for why Marrone could be looking to depart, since it seems there are factors at work here other than upward mobility.

We have now eliminated one plausible reason for why Marrone could be looking to depart, since it seems there are factors at work here other than upward mobility.

Could it be as easy as another million bucks per year for him and another milly to throw around to the staff.

If Marrone is 110% out he should have done the right thing and left in December. We could have had a decent replacement (Addazio, etc). Now he would just be screwing over SU and in that case he can go to hell. However if he is just fighting for improvements then good for him that is part of his job (ahem Coach P).

Here's what we know:

1. The guy loves SU. He may not love the politics or agree with the BOT, but he is still a proud alum. There may be other things we don't know about that make it less than stellar - but I have a hard time believing his love and respect for the school is diminished enough that he just wants to jet.
2. The facilities are not up to ACC standards. Guessing that his coaches are not getting fair comp, either (esp for ACC and successes.)
3. There is a ceiling on the job until the University fixes the inherent issues with facilities and/or pay.
4. He is well thought of in NFL circles. Enough to get several interviews after being a .500 guy in the BE.
5. The NFL pays more and is the pinnacle of the profession. It's the only real threat (outside of TN) for his services.
6. Coach B is for you. Dr. Gross is for you (we think).

What would you do if all of those things were true? I'd use all of that as leverage. I'd be willing to go over the edge and go to the NFL if offered and SU/BOT stands still. He's setting himself up for the best scenario for himself 1st. And in the process he might either expose SU/BOT's commitment to winning or move the ball ahead for the school.

Charlie Strong was always wanting to stay at Louisville. He was loyal - but needed to use his leverage to force change. This is smart and exactly what I'd do if I were Marrone.

If Marrone is 110% out he should have done the right thing and left in December. We could have had a decent replacement (Addazio, etc). Now he would just be screwing over SU and in that case he can go to hell. However if he is just fighting for improvements then good for him that is part of his job (ahem Coach P).
Why? Did he have a job offer then? Are you saying he should have quit without having another job lined up? Really?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Why? Did he have a job offer then? Are you saying he should have quit without having another job lined up? Really?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

If he is going to leave no matter what (meaning even taking a year off and no way coming back to SU) then yes it is a total dick move to stick around and screw SU.

I'd use all of that as leverage. I'd be willing to go over the edge and go to the NFL if offered and SU/BOT stands still. He's setting himself up for the best scenario for himself 1st. And in the process he might either expose SU/BOT's commitment to winning or move the ball ahead for the school.

Charlie Strong was always wanting to stay at Louisville. He was loyal - but needed to use his leverage to force change. This is smart and exactly what I'd do if I were Marrone.

This^^^^^

If he is going to leave no matter what (meaning even taking a year off and no way coming back to SU) then yes it is a total dick move to stick around and screw SU.

You have to wait for the NFL season to end first, the timing sucks but that's the way it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom