Maryland had to go to the Big 10 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland had to go to the Big 10

Had a tech nerd neighbor who would always tell me that the future will be apps. Apps for everything, and everywhere. And more importantly, apps on your tv (that are actually used, unlike the lame offerings they have now).

There have been rumors for a while that an Apple TV will be released in 2013 that will be utilize Siri.
This was just in the NYT:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/does-apples-tim-cook-want-an-apple-television/

Anyway, when you say that the ACC signed with YouTube, it makes me worried. :D All the fun has been stripped out of YouTube and I would think that they've already peaked.

You are correct, there is no "conference wide" statement that I remember, but every school in the BE at one time or another pledged their commitment.

Look, if the ACC wants to show commitment, use a grant of rights as that shows financial commitment to words. Until then, a written statement isn't worth much.

How is a GOR any more enforceable than an exit fee? To me it seems far more onerous and restrictive than anything the ACC is doing. If a school wants to leave, it will.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Had a tech nerd neighbor who would always tell me that the future will be apps. Apps for everything, and everywhere. And more importantly, apps on your tv (that are actually used, unlike the lame offerings they have now).

There have been rumors for a while that an Apple TV will be released in 2013 that will be utilize Siri.
This was just in the NYT:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/does-apples-tim-cook-want-an-apple-television/

Anyway, when you say that the ACC signed with YouTube, it makes me worried. :D All the fun has been stripped out of YouTube and I would think that they've already peaked.
Not w/ Google on board.
In a few years we won't recognize Youtube- itwon't be your father's website.
At the rate technology is moving, most of the baseline premises that govern these moves may diminish or disappear.
TV will NOT be the same, that's a given.
We might look back & wonder what kinda madness prevailed in college athletics. :crazy:

What markets does the ACC have? 1A in Florida and Kentucky, WAY distant second in Georgia and Pennsylvania, second in SC, 1 in North Carolina and Virginia, nobody cares in Massachusetts, and somewhat in NY. ND would add considerable value, but they aren't all in. Compare to the SEC: 1 in Florida, 1 in Georgia, 1 in Tennessee, 1 in South Carolina, 1 in Alabama, 1 in Arkansas, 1 in Mississippi, 1 in Missouri, 1 in Louisiana, 1 in Kentucky, 2 in Texas.

The ACC had the chance to be in a much better position by adding Rutgers and UConn and keeping Maryland. Rutgers and UConn should have been added with Syracuse and Pitt to go to 16 and allow for contract renegotiation. That would have given you three more states where the ACC would have been #1. If media rights value is going to come down to conference cable networks, the ACC has not made good strategic moves.
different strategies and hard to say which one is better now. the first round BIG expansion went for product. they went for market this round. When ACC taking SU and PITT, it went to product. some time I have to think that pedigree can be important. some people/organization can always make positive contributions regardless the situation. For the long run, the going for product approach properly will prevail. at the end of the day, it is the quality of the product that bring you money. BE owns NYC market before anyone else. what did the NYC market do for BE?
there is a reason for BIG poaching ACC, what the other options. there is a reason the UMD decision was made in a stealthy and swift way, i am not sure if UMD will make the same decision if more evaluations and discussions are allowed.
at the end of the day, you have to have the assets to qualify the money to make. it is not a long term solution to go after someone else' free money. your assets are the solution form fans as the result of love/hate of own team and rivalries. if you put Alabama into BIG, i am not sure if they will get the same level of fan support.

If the B1G expands via 2 eastern schools, they will screw over one of them. PSU, Rutgers and Maryland already make the eastern flank. Add one more, and you have your four team pod. Add two school, and one is forced to join the next pod over and misses out on the convenience you claim.

The B1G may take 1 east and 1 west, but who to take? Every school in the ACC that is attractive to the B1G is financially secure, and content. I agree that there may be more money in the B1g, but that is likely to even out over time.

IMO if the B1G takes 2 or Pitt, UConn, SU, or BC then that means they are going to 20. In which case you can have 5 team pods, which fits fine with PSU, MD, RU.

IMO if the B1G takes 2 or Pitt, UConn, SU, or BC then that means they are going to 20. In which case you can have 5 team pods, which fits fine with PSU, MD, RU.

I would tend to agree with you if they take two eastern schools. However, for now, I am leaning to them getting to 16 and taking a break, at least for a year or two. They have publicly stated that 14 is not a good number and the BTN website is seeking fan input as well as several B1G school bigwigs freely talking about 2 more schools.

For fun, if they are going to 20 or more, they will more than likely take 4-6 schools from the east with the exceptions being big name/market schools (UT, ND, OU) because the east coast has the established schools with academics and athletics as well as big and growing markets. I would also think they would want a Florida school, if going to 20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom