Matt Park | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way buddy has played this year, no guarantee we beat Rutgers with him.

And one of the reasons we were in that game was Kadary’s playmaking. He was taking advantage of their pressure defense and making them pay. If Buddy played, Kadary sits more, and we lose that and probably waste 20 minutes playing guards that can’t go by anybody. IMO, if Buddy plays, we get hammered.

I don't mean to pile on the guy, but whatever came of Park's drunken joyride in South Carolina a few years ago?

Was that just swept under the rug?
always sunny no GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I don't know what Matt Park said, but whatever it was, it was part of doing his job. He is an employee of the school ... just as are all the other schools' broadcasters.

Exactly. All schools broadcasters are homers and try to be positive or they will be out of a job.

This fanbase is pretty much clueless for the most part about anything that happens outside of Syracuse.
I'm just not sure what the pearl-clutchers don't get about this. I (and others) have said this over and over again. It doesn't seem to sink in.

I'm just not sure what the pearl-clutchers don't get about this. I (and others) have said this over and over again. It doesn't seem to sink in.

its funny. I literally defended Park like a week back explaining he works for the school. I can link the post if needed. This has nothing to do with defending the team and school/not bashing the team.

This is specifically how he went about it in these set of tweets. This is different. This is bad PR. that sink in yet?

I guess one can certainly argue that you don't bite the hand that feeds you kind of thing. I don't think you'd hear a Wal-mart voice, spokesperson, etc. saying; now, if we can only get our shoppers to look, dress, etc. more like Target's customers. ;)

Maybe we'll never be able to effectively compete recruiting against the big 4 of Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. But this isn't football. We have advantages over so many college hoops programs, there's no reason why we're not a perennial Top 15 program.

We're the school that recruited Pearl, Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Carmelo Anthony and others who could have gone to any school they wanted.

Program just needs some new energy to sell all those advantages. People who think we're not elite in this sport are nuts.
Bingo.

Syracuse is in the top 10 of most popular college hoops program in the country. That’s not hyperbole, that’s based on years of polling data.

Unlike football, SU sits square in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds. We have among the top hoops facilities in the nation, for both training and game day. We have a long track record of putting players in the NBA, and have racked up a ton of lottery draft picks.

The blue blood/not blue blood discussion is pointless. Syracuse is, at worst, a top 15 basketball school, all things considered. A coach who’s successful here is a lot more likely to leave for the NBA than another college program.

When Boeheim is 96 and decides to hang it up, after coaching Jim Boeheim III for 4 years, we’re going to have a lot of suitors for this job.

Bingo.

Syracuse is in the top 10 of most popular college hoops program in the country. That’s not hyperbole, that’s based on years of polling data.

Unlike football, SU sits square in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds. We have among the top hoops facilities in the nation, for both training and game day. We have a long track record of putting players in the NBA, and have racked up a ton of lottery draft picks.

The blue blood/not blue blood discussion is pointless. Syracuse is, at worst, a top 15 basketball school, all things considered. A coach who’s successful here is a lot more likely to leave for the NBA than another college program.

When Boeheim is 96 and decides to hang it up, after coaching Jim Boeheim III for 4 years, we’re going to have a lot of suitors for this job.
When was the last time we were actually ranked in the top 15 or even the top 25?

When was the last time we were actually ranked in the top 15 or even the top 25?

We finished 2016 ranked 10th and were 14 in the following seasons preseason poll. I believe that was the last time.

I gave up seats long ago. The fan experience, from ushers to food to faculties, is sub-par, to say the least. The product was no longer worth my effort, my time, or my money.
Now, with the TV and streaming, there are times that games are unavailable to me on TV, unless I want to jump through lots of hoops (no pun intended) trial memberships, etc. It makes it difficult to follow sometimes, so I watch something else.
Then there is the aforementioned product. While CBB as a whole is down, the only difference between SU basketball the last 10 years or so and the A-10, MAC, etc. is the name on the jersey and the name on the bench.
(Most of the above applies to the FB program as well.)
Dior Johnson gave me hope for a revival, but that ended, and our coach’s “get off my lawn”, “I dumped him he didn’t dump me” attitude toward the whole thing was disconcerting, at best.
I admire you folks whose love of the program and heart on the sleeve fandom hasn’t waned. I hope your faith and loyalty are rewarded.
All fair comments. I would only change the 10 years to five years.

its funny. I literally defended Park like a week back explaining he works for the school. I can link the post if needed. This has nothing to do with defending the team and school/not bashing the team.

This is specifically how he went about it in these set of tweets. This is different. This is bad PR. that sink in yet?
Yeah, he could have been like everyone else in the AD last night and stayed off twitter. Instead he went and pissed people off.

Attempting to justify it by saying his job is to be a homer is intentionally missing the point.

Maybe we'll never be able to effectively compete recruiting against the big 4 of Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. But this isn't football. We have advantages over so many college hoops programs, there's no reason why we're not a perennial Top 15 program.

We're the school that recruited Pearl, Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Carmelo Anthony and others who could have gone to any school they wanted.

Program just needs some new energy to sell all those advantages. People who think we're not elite in this sport are nuts.
We sit in the best recruiting territory in the country. East Coast.
NYC Philly DC Baltimore...
Most fans
New Arena
Best conference
Own Network.

There are ZERO reasons we dont land a top 20 class each year.

Yeah, he could have been like everyone else in the AD last night and stayed off twitter. Instead he went and pissed people off.

Attempting to justify it by saying his job is to be a homer is intentionally missing the point.

I didn't see the tweets (dumped twitter, it has made life so much more peaceful). But is the AD inching toward 'Get a life" territory?

It does beg the question, was Matt, as part of his job, told to go on twitter and play defense, or did he do it on his own?

of course, you guys are getting caught up in the bait...

Park said we shouldnt expect to MAKE the tourney 9 out of 10 years.
Not be a top seed every year.

MAKE the tourney. I’m not cool with that mindset.
Agreed. And we also shouldn't be on pins and needles nearly every Selection Sunday.

I didn't see the tweets (dumped twitter, it has made life so much more peaceful). But is the AD inching toward 'Get a life" territory?

It does beg the question, was Matt, as part of his job, told to go on twitter and play defense, or did he do it on his own?
I think either answer tells me that those on the inside have underestimated the fanbase’s build up of discontent. And responding to that discontent by saying we should lower our expectations is a bad answer, to say the least.

The AD has been spoiled by the fan support just as much as the fans have been spoiled by the basketball team’s success under Boeheim so meeting criticism with that response warrants the reaction it’s getting, imo.

I tell myself I’m going to quit twitter once a month, I need to go cold turkey.

We sit in the best recruiting territory in the country. East Coast.
NYC Philly DC Baltimore...
Most fans
New Arena
Best conference
Own Network.

There are ZERO reasons we dont land a top 20 class each year.

Agree. Although I wouldn't word it as "new arena". I'd say a modernization of one of the top 5 most recognizable facilities in college hoops.

And don't forget about the Melo Center.

I think either answer tells me that those on the inside have underestimated the fanbase’s build up of discontent. And responding to that discontent by saying we should lower our expectations is a bad answer, to say the least.

The AD has been spoiled by the fan support just as much as the fans have been spoiled by the basketball team’s success under Boeheim so meeting criticism with that response warrants the reaction it’s getting, imo.

I tell myself I’m going to quit twitter once a month, I need to go cold turkey.

It's like quitting anything. First week is hard, you get withdrawal, fever, chills, headaches. But after that it gets easier.

Quitting Facebook was so much easier. I instantly didn't miss it.

That empty suit does nothing on his own (except for drunk driving)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom