Matthew Moyer | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Moyer

Is it possible that he actually checks out this site from time to time? Just wondering?

How could they not. General human curiosity. Has an electronic device in his hands all day. Loves Syracuse basketball and seeks info on it just like we do I assume

I imagine he's pretty much a rock star on campus on can get slept on as often as he likes. Sounds like he is enjoying the situation.

I hope he is putting up Melo (slaying) numbers from Melo's freshman year

Just watched this:
[Stay for the ceremony/tribute at the end.]
To remind myself why he is (again) my 'pre-favorite' player...

The kid is like a Rhodes Scholar off-court, with the most DC-like on-court persona. Wants to dunk everything, and with extreme prejudice. I can't wait.

I think it's easy for us to forget how good of a player matt was coming out of high school and the potential he has, myself includes...now a whole year under his belt training with our staff and learning our system I think this kid is gunna be a surprise and a fan favorite!

I think it's easy for us to forget how good of a player matt was coming out of high school and the potential he has, myself includes...now a whole year under his belt training with our staff and learning our system I think this kid is gunna be a surprise and a fan favorite!

He works hard, has a great attitude and plays like he wants to dunk everything. He's most certainly going to be a fan favorite.

Ik it's just a short clip and it's not a whole lot to go off of but his 3 ball looks pretty darn good in that video...kids been working hard you can tell!

The form looks better throughout the shot than it did last year. He starts it low though which increases the time and means you need more space to get it off. It looks like he worked on his handle and footwork a lot and he's in much better shape than last year when he couldn't practice or exercise for a while with that injury. He has those go-go gadget arms on his first dunk in that video. Obviously not at the Hak level but he gets the ball up and extended quickly when he is near the rim.

The form looks better throughout the shot than it did last year. He starts it low though which increases the time and means you need more space to get it off. It looks like he worked on his handle and footwork a lot and he's in much better shape than last year when he couldn't practice or exercise for a while with that injury. He has those go-go gadget arms on his first dunk in that video. Obviously not at the Hak level but he gets the ball up and extended quickly when he is near the rim.

Yep I think he's going to rack up some impressive dunks over his career

I was literally just thinking today about seeing some updates on him like this short video because we all haven't seen anything on him in so long and you know dang well he's been putting in the work for a year now..glad this popped up on my Twitter because he really is gunna be a solid player for us. He has a great handle for such a tall lengthy kid too..stays low with the ball and I think he's gunna like going at the hoop hard...which we didn't have last year

Don't think he really starts it low. He's doing what is called the dip which most every shooter does from outside. Saw one time ray Allen is the only pro not to use it.

Re: low delivery. Watch Steph Curry very closely. Very hard to replicate; but the point is there is more than one technique to get a quick release.

Being careful not to be optimistic about Moyer.

I get witch hunted for giving him "unfair expectations"...even though I just think he's going to be able to, thankfully, contribute some solid minutes for us this year.

Re: low delivery. Watch Steph Curry very closely. Very hard to replicate; but the point is there is more than one technique to get a quick release.

Curry's release has gotten so fast that it almost looks like he's just flicking the ball in the air comes in real time. I know there are many ways to do it and perhaps it was a drill or something g but it looked a little slowish to me. Still we just need Moyer to be able to mail them when teams cheat off of him. That shot looks much better than last year's so I'm pretty hopeful he can do that

Curry dips too

I was going to mention Curry, too, but he's such a freak, i don't think anything he does should be used as a rationalization for anyone else. But, yeah — i'm not concerned about 'low release points.' You create space/opportunities in other ways.

Our frontcourt is loaded. I think Moyer, and OB can shoot, and score well enough to handle the 3.

We really need to add Thorpe, and we're good to go.

Frank/HW, Thorpe, Tyus, TT/OB/MM, and Sid/PC/TT could be a possibility if we are worried about rebounding with Tyus at the 3 for a few minutes.

Either way, Matt looks great and ready to go. I think the redshirt year is really gonna pay off, and we don't have to worry about the 3 too much.

I'll take Thorpe over JT all day.

Matt we're aren't sleeping on ya, just forgot about ya a bit as we worried about recruiting.

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with his form. It looks great. Man, his arms are crazy long too.

Last edited:

I'll say this. Getting a starting calibur PG is our #1 need even more than a front court SF shooter.

Ideally we get Thorpe but some mystical magic and Tucker spurns Duke. Then you can Hughes to take Battles spot in 18-19 season. If Tucker goes Duke try to get Sid and if not Euro.

Our frontcourt is loaded. I think Moyer, and OB can shoot, and score well enough to handle the 3.

We really need to add Thorpe, and we're good to go.

Frank/HW, Thorpe, Tyus, TT/OB/MM, and Sid/PC/TT could be a possibility if we are worried about rebounding with Tyus at the 3 for a few minutes.

Either way, Matt looks great and ready to go. I think the redshirt year is really gonna pay off, and we don't have to worry about the 3 too much.

Matt we're aren't sleeping on ya, just forgot about ya a bit as we worried about recruiting.

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with his form. It looks great. Man, his arms are crazy long too.

We needed Tucker badly. Sure, time to move one, but losing him is a major gut punch. Not sure we will have enough shooting even with Thorpe and Dolezaj, unless he turns out to be a better shooter than we think.

We needed Tucker badly. Sure, time to move one, but losing him is a major gut punch. Not sure we will have enough shooting even with Thorpe and Dolezaj, unless he turns out to be a better shooter than we think.

I hear ya. Just think we are underestimating the kids we have. I don't think you are, as you have much more knowledge on them than I do. Say we add Thorpe, and Marek. We will be back to running, and getting easy buckets. Give me a dunk over a three all day. I'm over Tucker, and never mind. My thoughts are known.

Moyer looks like he really improved his shot. We all love him, but have been focused on others. He's gonna be fun to watch, as I know we all agree on. He bleeds Orange, which is always nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom