McCords season | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McCords season

If you put McCord in the games when McNabb played there would have been 50% of the play book removed. If you switch it up McNabb would run all the same plays and about 20% of the time the RPO would now be runs and he would be awesome in that and saving some pass plays but perhaps not as good in some throws and better in others.

McNabb was a thrilling player to watch. But Don McPherson was my favorite. That undefeated season was magical and he led the offense all year. He unquestionably should have won the Heisman trophy that season.
McPherson was so clutch. I’m still screaming on the inside over that pass to Kelly to save the undefeated season. I’ve always loved beating WVU. Marvin Graves Is on my favorite list, too. I was at the game at WVU where he caused a brawl that resulted in ejections of a couple of important WVU defensive guys. Graves and Chris Gedney connected on two big plays including the gamewinner after that. Mountaineer fans are still hurting over that game. Thanks, Marvin…

Y’all are out of your minds.

Let’s just use McNabb as one example.

4x 1st team All BE
3x BE OPOY

I promise you, we would trade McCord for college McNabb in a heart beat. It would be the easiest decision ever. And that’s just McNabb.

People here need to do some soul-searching.

Maybe find some old YouTube clips. I dunno.

But McCord is not and will not be the best qb here in any way, shape or form.
Ehh. I think yall need some perception.

Almost every student at SU wasn't born when McNabb was at SU. I didn't become a fan until 2004-2005 when I applied. Ive been a fan 20 years. And he's better than Nassib and Dungey.

Soul searched and found. McCord is best I've seen, or lifetime as a fan, etc...

Not denying how epic #5 was whatsoever.

Ok, if we look at "strictly what's been done in an SU uniform"

McNabb was the Big East offensive player of the DECADE for the 1990s, named to the Syracuse ALL-CENTURY team, Heisman finalist, 3x BE offensive player of the year...

Again, I LOVE McCord and some of his stats are going to break SU single season records. IF he played here for 3-4 years, he could be the "best" SU QB of your lifetime. But he wont get that chance.
You just cited as McNabb as being a All Century team member and then in the next sentence that McCord is break records, plural. Wouldn't that make his performance all century if he's breaking all century team members records?

Idk where to put this, but I just realized if TOMMY DEVITO can make the league, this guy is 3x the college player Devito ever was. Do with that as you will.

McCord is ELITE, and I would say there is only about 6-10 programs in the country currently who would take their starting QB over ours. Enjoy every moment of it. PS Fran any chance you can bring over another former 5 star QB this offseason? Would be kinda cool I’m getting used to it.

It also means that this board is full of people who should live in padded rooms

The guy went second in the draft and lived up to it
It's still wild to me that we had a passer that was that good, with multiple future NFL guys at WR and TE to throw to, and we were like "we're gonna hand the ball off a bunch to Malcom Thomas and Kyle McIntosh."

And don't get me wrong, Malcolm Thomas and Kyle McIntosh were good players. But they weren't NFL guys.

It also means that this board is full of people who should live in padded rooms

The guy went second in the draft and lived up to it
Charlie Ward won the Hesiman and played in the NBA.

if McCord goes top 3 in the NFL draft we can all agree he had one helluva season here.
right now would i rate him above Mcnabb , McPherson , Graves for best SU qb ever... no.
his sample size is too small. he's got a lot more to prove.

Last edited:
This thread makes me & Soupy want to….

1728434811704.gif

Last edited:
I love McCord - we are so lucky to have him. Our team asks a ton from him and he delivers.

McNabb is my favorite SU athlete of all time and is my earliest cuse sports memory.

I think McNabb was the best overall talent that we ever had at quarterback. He was the complete package. McCord is the better pure passer but McNabb was a great passer and was a great runner.

It is just too bad that he didnt take better care of his body. He could have had an even longer and better NFL career. He lucked out with Andy Reid as coach though.

Best game I ever saw in person was the dramatic last minute touchdown drive to win the game against Virginia Tech in 1998. The fans swarmed the field as the announcers kept reminding the students not to be late for some campus beach party. It just added to the craziness of the moment.

And I will believe to the day I die that the officials robbed us of the Tennessee win. It was all the harder to swallow when they won the national championship.

Last edited:
Y’all are out of your minds.

Let’s just use McNabb as one example.

4x 1st team All BE
3x BE OPOY

I promise you, we would trade McCord for college McNabb in a heart beat. It would be the easiest decision ever. And that’s just McNabb.

People here need to do some soul-searching.

Maybe find some old YouTube clips. I dunno.

But McCord is not and will not be the best qb here in any way, shape or form.
McNabb is the only one in the conversation with McCord. But Kyle is the best pure passer. McNabb best dual threat.

This could be the best SU quarterback we see in our lifetime, let's enjoy this season.
Is he going to be a #1 overall draft pick? Anyone born prior to 1999 saw a Syracuse QB go #2.

If McCord throws for over 4000 yards and has well over 30 TDs from a purely productive lens would that not be higher than 97 or 98 from McNabb? This is the point that I'm making; that he is on track to have the best single season as a quarterback stat wise.
You're talking about stats. Stats never tell the whole story. McNabb was drafted higher than a bunch of other players with better college stats than him because he was a better player (he was also better than the one guy drafted before him). Daunte Culpepper, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Shaun King all threw for 1,000-2,000 more yards and as many as 14 more TDs than McNabb his senior year. He was actually only 46th in the whole country in passing yardage and 17th in TDs. Yet he was drafted higher and had the best pro career.

McCord will have the best statistical season we've ever seen, and we should enjoy it. He won't be the best QB we've ever had, and he doesn't have to be for us to enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom