McCullough to the NBA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough to the NBA

Why waste a draft pick on a guy that won't be ready to play in September/October? Could get him as a free agent. What he showed in the 16 games he played is that he has no game and defensively limited. Developmental League or overseas the next 2 years minimum. Ain't going to get any better playing for JB.

What in the world does this mean as it relates to SU basketball (considering the 3 and 4 play the same position in the zone)? Or are you saying that Roberson doesn't rebound well offensively when he's covered by a 4? Or is this all NBA level talk?
I mean that unless we have a legit 4, Roberson isn't big enough to help us own the boards with only G at the 3, unless Diagne/Coleman are rebounding monsters at the 5.

I mean that unless we have a legit 4, Roberson isn't big enough to help us own the boards with only G at the 3, unless Diagne/Coleman are rebounding monsters at the 5.

Yeah, that still doesn't make any sense to me at all. Roberson's ability to rebound doesn't have anything to do with who else is on the floor on the other side of the zone. That guy is out defending the shooter in the corner or on the wing, thus it's the center and Roberson that go after the ball when it comes to his side. And Roberson showed he can do that against almost anyone. I think UNC was about the only team we played where he wasn't able to get his.

Quick--how many players have we had over the years who averaged more RPG than Tyler Roberson did last year? And that's factoring in the incredibly poor start to the year, where he often played only a handful of minutes before getting yanked out of the game?

You'll be surprised by how relatively few averaged more RPG than what Roberson , and his capability to help us own the boards.

Why waste a draft pick on a guy that won't be ready to play in September/October? Could get him as a free agent. What he showed in the 16 games he played is that he has no game and defensively limited. Developmental League or overseas the next 2 years minimum. Ain't going to get any better playing for JB.

Wow. Looking to get tossed from the board quickly with this post I see. Enjoy your short time here newbie.

Yeah, that still doesn't make any sense to me at all. Roberson's ability to rebound doesn't have anything to do with who else is on the floor on the other side of the zone. That guy is out defending the shooter in the corner or on the wing, thus it's the center and Roberson that go after the ball when it comes to his side. And Roberson showed he can do that against almost anyone. I think UNC was about the only team we played where he wasn't able to get his.

Agreed--they big boy'd him physically. Clearly, Roberson needs to add weight / strength [I think he's only like 205 pounds, which is too small to be a power forward]. But in terms of natural rebounding apptitude, instincts, and prowess--Roberson is above average.

Embiid, Saric, Bogdanovic, and Huestis were all 1st rd picks last year who haven't played a second in the NBA this year. We could add a couple of other of limited minutes players if we want to show that 1st rd picks aren't always counted on to even be seen that 1st year.

Agreed--they big boy'd him physically. Clearly, Roberson needs to add weight / strength [I think he's only like 205 pounds, which is too small to be a power forward]. But in terms of natural rebounding apptitude, instincts, and prowess--Roberson is above average.
And G is below average at the 3. I'm not dissing Roberson's rebounding ability but he can't be the main rebounder and us expect to be a good rebounding team. Our back line isnt very physically imposing with Roberson-Diagne-G. It is with Roberson-Diagne-McCullough and that could move G up top with Cooney which is a freakish defensive lineup.

He's got a kid and he's probably not doing well in school. Just a guess. One way or another, he was determined to stay at SU for only one year. Helluva impact recruit.

I think he should enter it, work out then pull out.
Don't think he will be able to work out. I think he will still be in rehab and teams would have to draft on faith. Plus what type of shape would he be in, or what would his game look like, if he could. He'd be rusty.

TRob is a good rebounder at the 3, not the 4. That was pretty exposed down the stretch. G is an awesome rebounder at the 1 or 2, not the 3. Diagne could be awesome but we dont have much length or rebounding on the wings with that back line. Add in 2 shorter than normal guards for us and i'm not too excited about our defense unless Richardson starts over Joseph.

The 3 and the 4 are interchangeable in our system, especially for purposes of rebounding. We play a zone. Have you not noticed?

Agree 100%. We don't know what Chris is thinking, but the plan was originally one year at SU before declaring for the draft. The injury changed those plans, but he's still going to do his due diligence. Most likely, he'll be advised that teams won't risk a first round pick on a player who can't work out for them, and he'll return for one more season at SU.
We don't know what the situation is. This is a kid who never planned on coming back for a second year in all likelihood, so the next question is, how'd the second semester go for him? Are his grades there? Or maybe he is just sick of school and would gladly take Euro money over another year of books? Hopefully he is back.

I'm guessing his decision is also impacted by how well he has performed in the class room this year.

Yes, I am thinking that is a big part. Does he have a choice or not? I'm not speculating whether he does or not, just stating that the choice may not be there like any other players who enters with one and done aspirations.

The other "Longshot" is that some team late in the first round has given him a promise if he leaves early. That would seem very surprising and unlikely, but if its out there, its fair for him to consider it.

Last edited:
The 3 and the 4 are interchangeable in our system, especially for purposes of rebounding. We play a zone. Have you not noticed?
Clever... nice zinger bro!

Have you paid attention to the fact i'm saying having Roberson as our best rebounder is an issue. If we have McCullough with Roberson and Diagne, that's a solid front line. If we don't have McCullough, that leaves Roberson as our best rebounder who is an undersized rebounder along with G when going up against other teams PF's.

Why are we assuming he's struggling in school?

Because that's what we do!! C'mon, man! couchburn

Seriously though, I think pretty much everyone here knows he didn't show anywhere near enough to justify talk of leaving after this year. So what else would be his motivation in taking such an unjustifiable risk?

Wish things would settle down for a few weeks, everyday we have big news popping up. Kind of making me crazy, I just want a top ten team again next year.

AZOrange said:
Why are we assuming he's struggling in school?

If you recall, he was awful close to not qualifying as a freshman.

But, yes, it's an assumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom