McDonald | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

You don't see this kind of stuff happening when you have a strong head coach in place.

I will just leave it at that. McDonald is wrong with what he said but there are bigger issues here.

Head coaches can not by definition be buddies with their subordinates, and/or players leads to confusion and a myriad of problems. Be friendly yes(cordial) but maintain a separation.

Dead man walking at this point. I expect him to be fired by 5 pm today.
It doesn't appear that way, Shafer has come out and said that they've worked it out. Just up on syracuse.com.

"I think as role models and adults, it's our duty to do a great job making reparations with our own relationships so we can not just talk the way but model the way, and that's what we're doing today."

What is the kids strength? I need to know what to look for
I would like to know this as well. Hopefully, Lester can make some improvements. I just hope everyone doesn't jump on him after a few games. Good morning Mr. Lester, your mission, should you decide to accept...

You don't see this kind of stuff happening when you have a strong head coach in place.

I will just leave it at that. McDonald is wrong with what he said but there are bigger issues here.
Head coaches can not by definition be buddies with their subordinates, and/or players leads to confusion and a myriad of problems. Be friendly yes but maintain a separation.
Well if you’re being honest with yourself the guy shouldnt be blamed for 2 touchdowns called back for penalites. A player drop not one but 2 touchdown passes. A player make a TD catch but ruled ineligible for stepping out of bounds first. The line getting blown off the ball inside the 5, missed field goals and other various mistakes

Look, as much as you want to believe it to be true it’s not, it’s rare that it happens mid season – in any fashion - even in the grand 'ole SEC, partly because it opens it up to a shyt show that we’re seeing now. It was absolutely not the right choice to do it now, and I don’t care that they ran a half toss sweep 6 yards deep. This isn’t the NFL. Plenty of bad offense out there and coaches aren’t being demoted mid season.

I hope you understand right now that we’re going to see the same poor offense with Lester.

I think we will see an improved offensive performance, whether that translates to winning is open to debate. We will wait to see. Frankly I can see no way our offensive scoring performance could not get better.

What is the kids strength? I need to know what to look for

I don't know what their strength is, I am not paid to be the coach. But after watching this "offense" the past year and half, I can safely say, what we are currently doing right now is NOT working. I can only assume that they are being asked to do something that they can not achieve/perform/execute. GMac was blaming the cadence on the false starts etc, well how about we change that up. Have hunt do something different. You have to put these kids in a position to SUCCEED.

So lets change it up, lets have them do something they CAN perfom/execute.

It really sucks that Hunt is out and we're playing FSU, and dont have a more neutral opponent so we can measure results against each other.

The more I think about how McD publically acted like a child, the more I dislike him. He's disgraced the university for paying him, Shafer for giving him a chance and his players/staff for acting like a fool.

It's a damn shame and he needs to go. This is damage control 101.
Are you happy with Shafer firing him in the phone? Pretty unprofessional I would say. Execution is often times more important than the decision.

Whose bright idea for the audible there would be a deep pitch in the end zone?
How is it we know Hunt audibled on that play? From McD is it? wellll not sure I am buying what is being sold!

Yeah. This dude is gone at the end of the year for sure. Be on the lookout for a new WR/Special teams coach.
Special Teams coach? Whatever for? ST don't need a coach, they are doing just fine coaching themselves!:rolleyes:

Are you happy with Shafer firing him in the phone? Pretty unprofessional I would say. Execution is often times more important than the decision.
Actually that further suggests that he was not technically fired as OC but just told Lester was going to be in charge of calling the offense till further notice. I am pretty sure Shafer would have done a face to face if he had thought it was a bigger deal. Then McD being the immature personallity he seems to be, went off the deep end into bizzaro world.

Some poster indicated Shafer saying that wasn't true.

Actually that further suggests that he was not technically fired as OC but just told Lester was going to be in charge of calling the offense till further notice. I am pretty sure Shafer would have done a face to face if he had thought it was a bigger deal. Then McD being the immature personallity he seems to be, went off the deep end into bizzaro world.
Nothing to support that assertion. According to everything out there he was demoted as OC and given the choice to stay as WR coach. Demoted/fired in this case is a distinction without a difference. He didn't leave Arkansas to come to SU as a WR coach.

He didn't go off the deep end. He made two poor comments in an otherwise positive interview. Spin it any way you choose, but he was effectively fired as OC.

I think HCSS should tweeted the dmotion to GM... that seems to be what the cool kids are doing.

Some poster indicated Shafer saying that wasn't true.
I would certainly be somewhat relieved if that were the case, but I have not seen anything where Shafer has challenged GM's account.

Nothing to support that assertion. According to everything out there he was demoted as OC and given the choice to stay as WR coach. Demoted/fired in this case is a distinction without a difference. He didn't leave Arkansas to come to SU as a WR coach.

He didn't go off the deep end. He made two poor comments in an otherwise positive interview. Spin it any way you choose, but he was effectively fired as OC.
He was not fired, he was (in some degree not known to any of us) demoted. He may be fired this week, or at season's end.

At least for the time being, we can say that we pay our WR coach almost as much as Arkansas does.

He was not fired, he was (in some degree not known to any of us) demoted. He may be fired this week, or at season's end.

At least for the time being, we can say that we pay our WR coach almost as much as Arkansas does.
You can certainly call it what you like, but as I say, IMO demoted/fired in this case is a distinction without a difference.

I would certainly be somewhat relieved if that were the case, but I have not seen anything where Shafer has challenged GM's account.

Shafer said that they talked in person when he gave MCD the news. It was quoted today. Didn't happen over the phone.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Shafer says he did not tell McDonald that he was demoted over the phone. Reiterates united stance moving forward.

Shafer said that they talked in person when he gave MCD the news. It was quoted today. Didn't happen over the phone.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Shafer says he did not tell McDonald that he was demoted over the phone. Reiterates united stance moving forward.
Good. That makes me feel much better. I was really wondering how I could be that wrong about the guy.

Thanks.

What are the scenarios now in which things are patched up and McDonald stays at SU for a while?

What word would you then use to describe someone whose employment was terminated and who no longer collected a paycheck?
I am not interested in splitting hairs or semantics. The practical result is that he lost his job (fired) as OC. The fact that he was offered a job as WR coach doesn't change that.

Syracuse football's Scott Shafer, George McDonald clarify that demotion discussion was in person (PS)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer and wide receivers coach George McDonald clarified that their discussion on Saturday night in which Shafer told McDonald that he would be demoted from offensive coordinator/associate head coach, was in person at Manley Field House in separate phone calls to Syracuse.com on Wednesday.

McDonald said he was "misconstrued" on Tuesday night when he indicated that the decision was issued over the phone.

Shafer said the two exchanged a couple text messages earlier in the afternoon while Shafer was at Ithaca College watching his son, Wolfgang, play football. Shafer asked McDonald to meet that evening to discuss how the coaching staff could improve its offense.

IthacaBarrel said:
Well there is that, two pretty good coaches, working down a level, Browning can coach OL, Fridge at OC. Went on the road and beat WSU, not an easy trip by any means. Easier to get to Alaska than Pullman, WA. Scheduling any PAC 12 isn't scheduling down, he's 5-1 dude. The Rutgers hate here is just dumb. He will get 7-8 wins. Not bad. His team is playing cohesively, stands are full. He's done a good job over there so far this year.

RU's opponents are 8-21.

They'll be lucky to win 2 more games.

RU's opponents are 8-21.

They'll be lucky to win 2 more games.

Here we go. Yes if they win 2 more they are 7-5 in a big boy conference, not the AAC, what is your point?

IthacaBarrel said:
Here we go. Yes if they win 2 more they are 7-5 in a big boy conference, not the AAC, what is your point?

My point is they haven't played anyone outside of Washington State OOC.

And they're 1 B1G win is over a very mediocre Michigan team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom