McDonald | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

I think we should just blame the chancellor. For Christ sakes he is a G'town grad. I still can't believe we hired a G'town grad.

It doesn't appear that way, Shafer has come out and said that they've worked it out. Just up on syracuse.com.

"I think as role models and adults, it's our duty to do a great job making reparations with our own relationships so we can not just talk the way but model the way, and that's what we're doing today."

One thing is that McDonalds rant gave Shafer took control over the relationship. Two things have reduced his worth in the marketplace, the fact that his close friend had to take him out of the booth 18 months and his mouth.

He needs to suck it up and be a good solider, do his job, and rebuild his marketability.

Based on what we have seen in his performance, including some sure signs of having basic problems performing on game day and what seem to be reasonably well informed and credible comments about what has transpired in Manley recently and in the coaches box Friday night, he struggled with the pressure and content of the job.

He needs to decompress, focus on his job, have input without the responsibility, coach up his receivers, and recruit his ass off.

I think he can still add a lot. If Shafer is sincere and they have settled all business no reason to cut him loose at this point. Shafer needs to build him back up as much as he needs to build up Ben Lewis. Let's see how resilient they all are and turn this into a positive.

One thing is that McDonalds rant gave Shafer took control over the relationship. Two things have reduced his worth in the marketplace, the fact that his close friend had to take him out of the booth 18 months and his mouth.

He needs to suck it up and be a good solider, do his job, and rebuild his marketability.

Based on what we have seen in his performance, including some sure signs of having basic problems performing on game day and what seem to be reasonably well informed and credible comments about what has transpired in Manley recently and in the coaches box Friday night, he struggled with the pressure and content of the job.

He needs to decompress, focus on his job, have input without the responsibility, coach up his receivers, and recruit his ass off.

That's all well and good, and sounds great on a message board. But do you know how EASY it will be to negatively recruit against this guy now? Would you trust him on the recruiting trail if he's now known for popping off to the press and acting like an immature baby? Who is to say this doesn't happen again?

That's all well and good, and sounds great on a message board. But do you know how EASY it will be to negatively recruit against this guy now? Would you trust him on the recruiting trail if he's now known for popping off to the press and acting like an immature baby? Who is to say this doesn't happen again?
What is the negative-recruiting angle against him? What would you tell prospects?

javadoc said:
What is the negative-recruiting angle against him? What would you tell prospects?

Not pertaining to this, but honestly, with 10 jobs in 9 years (or whatever the actual number is), I'm surprised that he is getting the recruits he is. Wouldn't that be enough of a negative recruiting angle?

Not pertaining to this, but honestly, with 10 jobs in 9 years (or whatever the actual number is), I'm surprised that he is getting the recruits he is. Wouldn't that be enough of a negative recruiting angle?
Coordinator-level is a different beast. You can't jump around easily because your work is under a stronger microscope. Playing for a first-time coordinator is risky, sure, given the chance of failure and firing.

OrangeXtreme said:
Syracuse football's Scott Shafer, George McDonald clarify that demotion discussion was in person (PS) Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer and wide receivers coach George McDonald clarified that their discussion on Saturday night in which Shafer told McDonald that he would be demoted from offensive coordinator/associate head coach, was in person at Manley Field House in separate phone calls to Syracuse.com on Wednesday. McDonald said he was "misconstrued" on Tuesday night when he indicated that the decision was issued over the phone. Shafer said the two exchanged a couple text messages earlier in the afternoon while Shafer was at Ithaca College watching his son, Wolfgang, play football. Shafer asked McDonald to meet that evening to discuss how the coaching staff could improve its offense.
Shafer has a son named Wolfgang? Weird

Who's to say it will. I rather keep him close and let time pass. Every single person involved is now in a bind.

He still brings value in what he does well. Give him a chance to correct the errors and go from there.

Shafer has a son named Wolfgang? Weird

Tell that to this guy.

images

Oh, wait bad example.

It's no big deal, he's proud of his German heritage.

I don't blame SS for demoting McDonald but I wonder now if he would have been better off promoting Lester to co-offensive coordinator and just keeping McDonald's title thru the year. Plenty of teams have co-coordinators. I give SS credit for making a change but McDonald's demotion leak created this storm.

I don't blame SS for demoting McDonald but I wonder now if he would have been better off promoting Lester to co-offensive coordinator and just keeping McDonald's title thru the year. Plenty of teams have co-coordinators. I give SS credit for making a change but McDonald's demotion leak created this storm.
I thought about that as well, maybe the old "run game" vs. "passing game" coordinators. But then which one would you give McDonald? And it sounds like Lester would have to call plays regardless, given the report about freezing-up in the booth.

It's possible that the playbook is sound, but the way it was being used was the problem. Eager to see what Lester does in the next few games.

Aside: I hope that in the offseason, whomever is our OC for next year decides to visit other college teams to study their schemes, and not NFL teams. Don't think the mindset of an NFL coordinator is going to help much at Syracuse right now.

McDonald is a very, very good South Florida recruiter, regardless of our current disappointment with his comments and attitude. If you think we are pulling in 4 or 5 star guys from Florida consistently, you would be mistaken. He is very good good at getting us the next their like Ish, Estime, Enoicy, Avant, Cordy, Edouard, etc.

Prior to that the last two classes brought us Whigham, Desir, and Vigilie.

imo he is vastly over rated. I know we were never pulling 4 stars in, but afraid to lose McDonald because he is some ace recruiter is ridiculous. Whoever we had recruiting down there could have pulled those guys. I am not worried about losing him one bit.

Estime - Fell into our lap. Nobody would take him because he was an academic risk. He had no other options.

Ish - Took officials to Illinois, Pitt, and Louisville. We have beat all those schools before. I'll give him Ish though he is his best recruit.

Edouard - Let's see if he actually makes it here.

Avant - Has yet to prove anything yet, and is another academic risk that fell into our lap after he got qualified late and everyone elses classes were full.

Cordy - He's 5'8 didn't take anything special to get him

McDonald's pull this year is all 2 star kids with no other offers. Sorry, but to labeled a "great" recruiter you better be bringing in kids that we wouldn't normally get. Not to mention all of this is with brand new facilities.

Shafer's relationships is how we got Eskridge. Shafer also got Desir who was just as highly rated a recruit as Ishmael, even better at places. James Washington was a solid pull at the time, didn't pan out. Whigham is going to be a 4 year contributor and 2 year starter.

imo the best recruiter we have right now (results wise) is our new OC Tim Lester.

Last edited:
the head coach follows every verb with "our asses off"

there's the f you dabo, f you moment

there's that penalty against maryland(?) where he was out on the field

he could stand to dial it back a bit

I think the look on his face toward the end of the Louisville game was as telling as anything. Like I know how bad this is, I kinda want to scream, but it's just going so badly that I don't know what to do and I just might be way in over my head so I bet if people are looking at me on camera they think I really need to poop.

Just seemed like so many emotions in about 10 seconds of awkward facial expressions, that I actually felt bad for the guy.

everyone needs to just chill out on this.

the further we put this behind us the better it becomes for recruiting instead of having thread after thread of what he said,he did and the whatevers.

the post reads this board daily and if people keep talking about every little detail in every he said,he did thread, it will only hurt recruiting even more as this becomes a 24/7 story for a while.

PhatOrange said:
Really ? or are you being sarcastic? can you give me some examples?

P at UConn, Mack Brown, Charlie Weis. All in the last year.

I've never met the guy - but people who have - on this board and in the media all say he's a really bright guy. Maybe that's just a trick of personality - I don't know. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt ;).

I make a living off tricking people into thinking I'm smart. It's not that hard

Is there a realistic scenario where McD comes back next year as a WR coach?

I don't think that it's likely, but I am torn as to whether it is realistically possible.

Alsacs said:

This has nothing to do with anything in this thread, but I always get a chuckle when I see Shafer abbreviated to SS. In light of the Jewish tradition at SU and Shafer's German heritage. (I'm going to see myself out now)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom