McDonald | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald

i expect to want him fired but not yet. my only point was that he's a loose cannon

Like I said, I think Lester and Daoust are the two best assistant coaches on the team, hoping Lester and Shaf can be good enough to retain the spot and we can hire a WR coach who can recruit next year. I hate starting over, I just hate it

Question: why the full demotion from OC/Asst Head coach? If the issue was simply play calling this switch could have been made on the down low with no change in titles/game planning responsibilities and George might not have liked it but it wouldn't have been the emasculating beat down that it is- then you make whatever decisions need to be made in the off season.

It was. McDonald was demoted on Saturday.

Some coaching search website picked up the story on Monday and it went viral. SU had no choice but to go public that that point.

If the new chancellor after having been here for a minute. Fires gross and shafer and "cleans" house. I would never attend another SU event

He's had the job for about a year now and he's already removed a number of people. If he deems it necessary to make changes in the Ath Dept, it wouldn't be a rash move.

Yet, if he won everybody would love it, just like people ripped Marrone for being to stoic on the sideline, This is what happens when you lose games, plain and simple. It took me 10 years to figure this our for myself. I liked Marrone as a whole, but was furious at the 5 game skid in 2011 but the best thing to do is give Shafer at least 1 more year after this, make staff corrections, regroup and see where you are. Rutgers did and apparently they have righted the ship for now, only reason they won a few games last year is because of the conference they are in. It's his ship and he will go down with it or weather the storm, right or wrong.

Nobody will ever confuse Flood with Nick Saban but nobody will ever confuse Rutgers for Bama either. Big Picture and expectations

what did flood do to right his ship (besides scheduling down), he hired Fridge to coach the offense and Mitch Browning to coach the OL.

Question: why the full demotion from OC/Asst Head coach? If the issue was simply play calling this switch could have been made on the down low with no change in titles/game planning responsibilities and George might not have liked it but it wouldn't have been the emasculating beat down that it is- then you make whatever decisions need to be made in the off season. I agree with previous posters that there is way more to this story. Too bad- this has the potential to demoralize any players who remain loyal to McD perceive this as unfair and undermine team unity, let alone reinforcing SU as anything but a preferred destination for asst coaches. Who want to be underpaid and put up with this circus?
I think it was meant to be an internal deal. Was it leaked? I just can't see the upside of putting it out to the public, but who knows what really happened.

A few points on the whole Mcdonald thing:

• Don't think he was the man for the job, but like many others, I would've given him till the end of the year for several reasons, including how it looks to everybody, including recruits, future possible coaches etc. The possible positives are we see what Lester has, though it might be mitigated by not having Hunt
  • I'm not as mad at Mcdonald as most. I would have left off the "I wouldn't have come" comment, but I understand his frustration and I wish him good luck (The chances of him staying after this are probably slightly higher than beating FSU on Saturday). We complain about coachspeak and we complain about honesty. Hard to have it both ways. If anything, I think it's SU's fault for having him available to the media so soon.
  • Very interested to see if we can keep White and what we do with Mcdonald on the recruiting trail now. Do we pull him off? Can he still be effective, and more importantly, does he even care enough to be effective or will he be a detriment? If so, we're down a recruiter and probably our best one and how do we adjust to that. Could really use a couple of AJ Long-types to help keep everything together.
Gotta keep in mind that this was supposed to be done in-family, until someone leaked it. Still waiting for the informed speculation about who might have leaked it, if it is anyone other than McD himself.

If you're going to do something that may cause your best recruiter to leave, best to do it as quickly as possible, IMO. You need time to find a good (potential) replacement. You need to let commits know what is happening so that you aren't left scrambling at the last minute if you can the guy after the season. Best to get a jump on the future as soon as you can.

He's had the job for about a year now and he's already removed a number of people. If he deems it necessary to make changes in the Ath Dept, it wouldn't be a rash move.

perhaps, but I would cease being a local SU fan

I think it was meant to be an internal deal. Was it leaked? I just can't see the upside of putting it out to the public, but who knows what really happened.
I get all that, my main question is around simply removing McDonalds play calling responsibilities vs ripping the entire OC/Asst head coach- to me that points to a much deeper dissatisfaction than just play calling-I'm not sure I'd take it any better than McD did- I'm not sure how Shafer thought a sensitive guy like McD would take this knife in the back- who really knows what the full story is?

Last edited:
A few points on the whole Mcdonald thing:

• Very interested to see if we can keep White and what we do with Mcdonald on the recruiting trail now. Do we pull him off? Can he still be effective, and more importantly, does he even care enough to be effective or will he be a detriment? If so, we're down a recruiter and probably our best one and how do we adjust to that. Could really use a couple of AJ Long-types to help keep everything together.

I've thought about this bullet point. Do you send him on the road and can he effectively recruit? I'd guess no.

Regarding White, bump him another 20K. $$ talks. They have to decide how valuable is he.

what did flood do to right his ship (besides scheduling down), he hired Fridge to coach the offense and Mitch Browning to coach the OL.

Well there is that, two pretty good coaches, working down a level, Browning can coach OL, Fridge at OC. Went on the road and beat WSU, not an easy trip by any means. Easier to get to Alaska than Pullman, WA. Scheduling any PAC 12 isn't scheduling down, he's 5-1 dude. The Rutgers hate here is just dumb. He will get 7-8 wins. Not bad.

His team is playing cohesively, stands are full. He's done a good job over there so far this year.

Well there is that, two pretty good coaches, working down a level, Browning can coach OL, Fridge at OC. Went on the road and beat WSU, not an easy trip by any means. Easier to get to Alaska than Pullman, WA. Scheduling any PAC 12 isn't scheduling down, he's 5-1 dude. The Rutgers hate here is just dumb. He will get 7-8 wins. Not bad.

His team is playing cohesively, stands are full. He's done a good job over there so far this year.
gary nova's improvement is huge. friedgen makes a giant difference.

nova was bad now he's great

gary nova's improvement is huge. friedgen makes a giant difference.

nova was bad now he's great

People blinded by the internet Rutgers rage cant acknowledge a job well done so far by Flood and his staff. Like I said, he may very well go 2-4 from here on out but still a pretty good job. They are playing well

They tried to run him out of town last year so he upgraded his staff with 2 professionals. Big boy coaches on offense and that's where their improvement is.

WSU was a good OOC opponent. Much like us playing Maryland. 1 is just right. 2 is to many. I'm only saying they baked in 3 other wins. We only baked in 2. Scheduling down OOC in any way is the way to go though. Non fans dont care who you've played they only see the W/L column.

Gotta keep in mind that this was supposed to be done in-family, until someone leaked it. Still waiting for the informed speculation about who might have leaked it, if it is anyone other than McD himself.

If you're going to do something that may cause your best recruiter to leave, best to do it as quickly as possible, IMO. You need time to find a good (potential) replacement. You need to let commits know what is happening so that you aren't left scrambling at the last minute if you can the guy after the season. Best to get a jump on the future as soon as you can.

McF'it leaked it or his agent - No Q in my mind.

Lester is the Recruiting coordinator. and this is the plus with having 25 recruits committed prior to August.

perhaps, but I would cease being a local SU fan

So if the chancellor brought in better people and we took another step or two forward you wouldn't be a fan on principle because he did it too soon??

not saying I think Shafer should go or anything like that, I think we should see what the new OC can do and if the answer is not much then you spend the money and get someone good in the off season.

But to say you won't be a fan if the chancellor decides to deal with what are clearly significant issues in the athletic department...that seems odd.

Blow it up and start from scratch.

People blinded by the internet Rutgers rage cant acknowledge a job well done so far by Flood and his staff. Like I said, he may very well go 2-4 from here on out but still a pretty good job. They are playing well

If the idiot on WSU fair catched the punt at the end of the game, RU most likely loses, if the catch at the end of the UM game is ruled a catch, UM is in much better shape to win that game. But they are 5-1 sitting pretty, filling the stands and generating alot of excitment. Can't say the same about SU. Of course if SU wins this week or even plays a tight game I expect the tone / post on these boards to change dramtically. Hope the recruits realize that if they flip or decide to follow McD, he has had 9 jobs since 2000.

The more I think about how McD publically acted like a child, the more I dislike him. He's disgraced the university for paying him, Shafer for giving him a chance and his players/staff for acting like a fool.

It's a damn shame and he needs to go. This is damage control 101.

The more I think about how McD publically acted like a child, the more I dislike him. He's disgraced the university for paying him, Shafer for giving him a chance and his players/staff for acting like a fool.

Agreed. Right or wrong, he shouldn't have gone on Twitter. He should have kept that behind closed doors. I would be extremely cautious about hiring him if I was a coach at another school.

He was a good recruiter, though. That will be missed. I would really, really like to throw a lot of money at a good recruiter who is a proven OC at a BCS level. I know that's asking a lot, and I know SU isn't anyone's dream job right now (especially since the HC's seat is warm and will likely be hot unless we come out strong next year), but enough money can change minds. We just need to will/resolve to do it. I'm not sure that we do have the stomach for it, but it would be awesome if we did.

Agreed. I get that he was hurt, and that he felt like lashing out, but it doesn't reflect well professionally on him--at all.

There's over 1,000 coaches in college football. You're batting less than 1%.

Weiss has been a 3 year epic disaster. That's not going to cause a problem.

Kiffin and USC are a different animal. The guy was 28-15 though. USC will survive. (and if Kiffin was so bad I doubt Saban would've hire him)

Hoke has been a disaster and is now setting UM records. Again, like Weiss mid season would not be a problem.

Muschamp? the guys is 3-1, 2-1 right now. He's not getting canned midseason unless the off field problems keep adding up. A backup QB is now under investigation for rape.

Coaches like Gump getting shyt canned with one or two games left is normal. I read all the happenings around college football daily - and I rarely see anybody getting canned or demoted mid-season.

Spin it how you want it, but what happened is not normal and imo just as unprofessional. Don't confuse what I'm saying here for not believing McDonald was in over his head and should be let go.
I think it's different for HC's and assistant coaches. That said, I don't think that the way it was handled was ideal.

McDonald in full damage control mode...too late imo...his true colors have been exposed...he needs to go ASAP!
This was my first reaction, and I might still feel this way. I'm not sure. I'm a little torn. If he goes, then what next? Do we replace him now or at the end of the season? If now, then who do we get to replace him, and how do we get them? Part of me thinks that we should wait until coaches start retiring and getting fired. Then the market for assistant coaches is MUCH better. However, if we do that, then we have a grump McD on our staff and recruits who won't know who their position coach is. That is not a great position. We're in a darned if we do, darned if we don't situation.

Syracuse football's George McDonald apologizes for comments regarding demotion, (PS: Bailey)

Syracuse, N.Y. — Syracuse wide receivers coach George McDonald apologized for his negative comments regarding his demotion in a text message sent late Tuesday night.

"I understand that I shouldn't have said that I wouldn't have come (to Syracuse)," McDonald said. "(Head coach Scott) Shafer gave me a great opportunity and it didn't work out. I was frustrated and let my emotions get the best of me when I said that."

I think he acted rashly and probably regrets it now, but do not think the administration would allow him to stay at this point. He has committed repeated acts of shooting his mouth off. Loose cannons like him usually are cut loose as soon as practible, and I expect him to be cut loose soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom