McMurphy Tweet... | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy Tweet...

Guess when your athletic programs are hemorrhaging money you're not really negotiating from a position of strength. I think the surprising thing here is that UMD and RU will ever receive a full share in the Big 10. :rolling:

Wasn't it speculated on this board that SU would not receive a full share for the first 3 or 4 years of the partnership with the ACC?

Great news all around. I have no idea what the athletic department is going to do with $16-17M more in annual revenue but it sure is going to be exciting to watch.

7fa42b3ffff8d2a53347f014f0fdff59.jpg

boom goes the dynamite.

i think every ACC school should send a copy of their proverbial 1st year check deposit slip to to maryland.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 31m
Pitt & Syracuse will receive full shares 1st year in ACC; in 2012-13 made $3-4M w/Big East; in 2013-14 gets $20M w/ACC

Wasn't it speculated on this board that SU would not receive a full share for the first 3 or 4 years of the partnership with the ACC?

Great news all around. I have no idea what the athletic department is going to do with $16-17M more in annual revenue but it sure is going to be exciting to watch.

21% of the payout goes into a general fund to be used by other university departments. So the entire university benefits from the athletic payout.

Will SU get a piece of the Maryland exit fee?

Ha.

That shows the relative value those brands are bringing to their conferences.

Md and Rutgers only value is their location.

We disagree on a lot, but this take is spot on.

21% of the payout goes into a general fund to be used by other university departments. So the entire university benefits from the athletic payout.

Which is really good news, but the figures are still huge as it relates to the AD's budget. 4-5x the payout that SU's AD received in BE. And if that 21% has been the general rule for all revenues associated with conference affiliation, that grows to about 6-7X.

Rutgers will be paying back their insane deficit over the next 10 years with their reduced paycheck. Unless they plan on going further into debt, they'll be falling behind us quite a bit in terms of both income and winning %.

with maryland's atrocious deal, when do they start making more money than if they stayed in the ACC and were not part of a 50mm lawsuit. The second part assumes a number that this thing settles at (or not) but certainly the first part can be figured out.

Maryland screwed up in a big way unless Big 10 has a deal to pay them stupid amts above the 20mm number for the ACC

And Rutgers gets AACK money this year. lol. And gets $0 of the SU/Pitt exit fees.

with maryland's atrocious deal, when do they start making more money than if they stayed in the ACC and were not part of a 50mm lawsuit. The second part assumes a number that this thing settles at (or not) but certainly the first part can be figured out.

Maryland screwed up in a big way unless Big 10 has a deal to pay them stupid amts above the 20mm number for the ACC

Remember the ACC has a "Look-in" at years 5 and 10 of the 15 year ESPN contract. We can get a bump up, but not a bump down in those years.

Yeah, you have to assume that the Maryland President who pushed so hard for this, won't even be around by the time they break even. I don't think he's a lifer. Wish I could get my hands on that ROIC analysis.

This is great! But would have been greater if I didn't hear it from you...

Someone else started a thread on it. You should like his post instead. Jerk. (Admins don't ban me, that's his middle name).

Yeah, you have to assume that the Maryland President who pushed so hard for this, won't even be around by the time they break even. I don't think he's a lifer. Wish I could get my hands on that ROIC analysis.

They must be figuring they make it up by jacking up ticket prices because of all the Michigan, OSU, Wisky, and PSU fans for their appearences in DC.