McMurphy Tweet... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy Tweet...

Who knows exactly what the deal is though. They may have guaranteed them whatever they would have made in the ACC, with the difference going to the B1G.

Sounds good to me...

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN
11m
Pitt & SU get full share 1st year in ACC; WVU & TCU don't til 4th year in B12; Md. & RU don't til 7th year in B1G
Wish I could like this twice. Merry Christmas!

First order of business, persuade the BOT to allow a portion of the annual budget to be allocated for the IPF.

Get the football coaches' salaries up to market ASAFP, if it has not been done already.

Make 100% certain that the AD runs in the black, and if we have been borrowing from the general fund at all since Gross came on board, pay some back.

Then go shopping.

Then why leave? Plus the exit fee and delay it could be a while before they make more cash in B1G.
Who knows exactly what the deal is though. They may have guaranteed them whatever they would have made in the ACC, with the difference going to the B1G.

The financial fundamentals that the B1G, and specifically the BTN, is built upon may look different in 7 years.

I mean, who knows really. But I've long thought that there is a bit too much rosiness in their $ projections.

Then why leave? Plus the exit fee and delay it could be a while before they make more cash in B1G.

Occam's Razor: Maryland expects to make more money in the B1G.

Whether that takes 3 years or 10 years or somewhere in between, I don't know, but you would have to assume that the bean counters have the best available data in front of them.

Also keep in mind that Maryland and Rutgers are buying into an equity share in a Network over the next several years. You don't just walk in and demand an equal equity share in a valuable property that you did not help to develop and grow. Well I suppose you could ask but you won't likely get it. Nebraska sure didn't and they are Nebraska.

Whether that takes 3 years or 10 years or somewhere in between, I don't know, but you would have to assume that the bean counters have the best available data in front of them.

Also keep in mind that Maryland and Rutgers are buying into an equity share in a Network over the next several years. You don't just walk in and demand an equal equity share in a valuable property that you did not help to develop and grow. Well I suppose you could ask but you won't likely get it. Nebraska sure didn't and they are Nebraska.

My experience is that some times an organization does an exhaustive job to accurately forecast projected revenue from an acquisition or partnership. And some times they don't.

Just saying that knowing how college athletics operates, I wouldn't assume anything. It seems like conference realignment has been equal parts robust analysis and fanciful wish-casting.

Maryland and Rutgers don't have the sharpest bean counters. just saying...

Maryland and Rutgers don't have the sharpest bean counters. just saying...
The two worst bean counting departments in all of Division 1 athletics. They very well may make more money 10-20 years down the line but the B1G move was clearly made out of desperation for UMD.

My experience is that some times an organization does an exhaustive job to accurately forecast projected revenue from an acquisition or partnership. And some times they don't.

Just saying that knowing how college athletics operates, I wouldn't assume anything. It seems like conference realignment has been equal parts robust analysis and fanciful wish-casting.

Understood. Let's discuss this from the Maryland side because the B1G had Rutgers at hello. That was always where Rutgers wanted to be by any metric.

From Maryland's standpoint, they are looking at some piece of 40MM in Year 4. They know what that piece is percentage wise, we don't or at least I haven't seen anything published. You don't need a lot of blue sky to come up with the 40MM figure. You can assume zero growth for the BTN over the next four years and still get to 40MM reasonably unless you assume that the negotiations for its Tier 1 content will flop in 2016. When you consider what the PAC12, Big XII, and ACC have gotten in the open market in recent years, the likelihood of a flop is very slim. Between the new Tier 1 deal, the Rose Bowl, the BTN, the B1G Championship Game, the rotating Orange Bowl, the playoff money, the CBS contract for some Hoops etc, 40MM is very reasonable in 2017.

7fa42b3ffff8d2a53347f014f0fdff59.jpg

I thought I just saw a Clemson recruit show the same picture, but seriously Rutgers is one hurricane away from Christie shutting down their football program...7 years of bad luck will only hurt even more

Sounds good to me...

11m

Pitt & SU get full share 1st year in ACC; WVU & TCU don't til 4th year in B12; Md. & RU don't til 7th year in B1G

The only thing that's really important (and frankly, surprising) to SU fans is the fact that Syracuse will be full partners in the ACC from the beginning.

On the other hand, the schadenfreude involved with the treatment that the non-ACC movers are receiving is delicious.

it's kind of funny looking at 2 totally different point of views from each board. for only being semi-relevant for maybe 10 years they really think highly of themselves.

The only thing that's really important (and frankly, surprising) to SU fans is the fact that Syracuse will be full partners in the ACC from the beginning.

Being part of a REAL partnership is the absolute best way for all ACC schools to thrive.

Remember, it was unequal revenue sharing that helped lead to the mass defections from the Big 12.

On the other hand, the schadenfreude involved with the treatment that the non-ACC movers are receiving is delicious.

I will actually miss Maryland a little bit. Carolina, NCSU, and, Maryland were in the same leagues together for 106 years... 106 YEARS! But, they were willing to throw all of that away, due to a problem of their own making.

But, I DO NOT feel sorry for WVU. Not after their fans ate up all of the BS that uber morons like The Dud(e), mhver, and others fed them about the supposed dismantling of the ACC. Now, they're in a league thats 1000 miles removed from their natural regional rivals, asking for concessions from the Big 12 for travel. I do not believe in karma, but, it sounds like just desserts.

I'm not concerned. Syracuse's athletic department is already hanging with the big 10 schools on a BIG EAST budget. Rutgers is running 20 million dollar annual deficits and shows up at 120.

Syracuse is just better at running an athletics department.

4 Michigan
6 Penn State
16 Ohio State
22 Minnesota
24 Nebraska
29 Wisconsin
30 Michigan State
31 Illinois
32 Indiana
39 Syracuse
40 Northwestern
42 Purdue
44 Maryland
65 Iowa Big Ten
120 Rutgers

IMO, in relation to the other conferences, the big ten is as strong (pre-rutgers and MD integration) as it ever will be.

The cracks are already starting to show. No (or was it one) first round draft picks. A very poor bowl record in recent years. By moving to nine conference games it will further reduce exposure to fertile recruiting grounds in the south.

The dynamics of cable are evolving. Forcing channels on cable subscribers is on its way out. Oh, after seven years Rutgers will have a 3.5% stake in the big ten network... big deal, that's not a liquid asset. They're not exactly getting in on the ground floor.

The BIGGEST issue with this potential Rutgers' athletic department windfall is it WILL be partially siphoned off to cover other shortfalls at the university. This is how NJ works.

Bottom line, we're in the conference we want to be in and are being treated like equals from day one.

Understood. Let's discuss this from the Maryland side because the B1G had Rutgers at hello. That was always where Rutgers wanted to be .

Rutgers would have said yes to anyone that asked. The b1g was the only one who asked.

I'm not concerned. Syracuse's athletic department is already hanging with the big 10 schools on a BIG EAST budget. Rutgers is running 20 million dollar annual deficits and shows up at 120.

Syracuse is just better at running an athletics department.

4 Michigan
6 Penn State
16 Ohio State
22 Minnesota
24 Nebraska
29 Wisconsin
30 Michigan State
31 Illinois
32 Indiana
39 Syracuse
40 Northwestern
42 Purdue
44 Maryland
65 Iowa Big Ten
120 Rutgers

IMO, in relation to the other conferences, the big ten is as strong (pre-rutgers and MD integration) as it ever will be.

The cracks are already starting to show. No (or was it one) first round draft picks. A very poor bowl record in recent years. By moving to nine conference games it will further reduce exposure to fertile recruiting grounds in the south.

The dynamics of cable are evolving. Forcing channels on cable subscribers is on its way out. Oh, after seven years Rutgers will have a 3.5% stake in the big ten network... big deal, that's not a liquid asset. They're not exactly getting in on the ground floor.

The BIGGEST issue with this potential Rutgers' athletic department windfall is it WILL be partially siphoned off to cover other shortfalls at the university. This is how NJ works.

Bottom line, we're in the conference we want to be in and are being treated like equals from day one.

What does this ranking indicate?

Sounds good to me...

11m

This is mega huge. My goodness did Syracuse play this thing so well. For all the flack Coach Marrone might give the University (perhaps rightfully), someone start a slow-clap that this very same administration lead the school superbly.

I will actually miss Maryland a little bit. Carolina, NCSU, and, Maryland were in the same leagues together for 106 years... 106 YEARS! But, they were willing to throw all of that away, due to a problem of their own making.

But, I DO NOT feel sorry for WVU. Not after their fans ate up all of the BS that uber morons like The Dud(e), mhver, and others fed them about the supposed dismantling of the ACC. Now, they're in a league thats 1000 miles removed from their natural regional , asking for concessions from the Big 12 for travel. I do not believe in karma, but, it sounds like just desserts.

The wvu idiocracy still eats that up. They genuinely believe wvu will be making $40m per year in its big 12, 3rd tier and bowl money by 2015.

Rutgers would have said yes to anyone that asked. The b1g was the only one who asked.

Who cares if the B1G was the only conference that invited us? That's like saying I "had" to take Adriana Lima to the prom because she was the only one who wanted to go with me.

Syracuse was in the same boat as Rutgers and took the only option it had. At the end of the day, Syracuse was a better fit for the ACC and Rutgers was a better fit for the B1G.

Who cares if the B1G was the only conference that invited us? That's like saying I "had" to take Adriana Lima to the prom because she was the only one who wanted to go with me.

Syracuse was in the same boat as Rutgers and took the only option it had. At the end of the day, Syracuse was a better fit for the ACC and Rutgers was a better fit for the B1G.

I agree with your first sentence, but disagree with your second. It's been reported numerous times that the B1G had interest in SU. It was SU, though, that preferred the ACC.

The two worst bean counting departments in all of Division 1 athletics. They very well may make more money 10-20 years down the line but the B1G move was clearly made out of desperation for UMD.

Rutgers ended up with a magic bean to save their ass. As for the Terps...maybe not spending money on a different uniform/helmet for every game might have helped them as it seems like they probably spent even more foolishly on things we don't even know about. It amazes me that these educated people in charge of universities and colleges have the fiscal common sense of a 2 year old.