McMurphy Tweet... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy Tweet...

You budget your first (8) words to agreeing that football drives the bus but then spend the rest of a very long post talking about basketball. Not only that, but you are trying to discount the fact that the B1G is the most attended in person and watched on TV, basketball conference in the country. So hoops games involving Syracuse, UNC, Duke, and a Top 5 Miami team outdrew various combinations of Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Depaul and Northwestern. Cherry pick your data much?

All of that is irrelevant, this is about football.

Look through the list again genius and compare B1g vs ACC appearing outside of ESPN, ESPN 2 or CBS. Those are games that can be considered interchangeable with a conference network. Don't say I'm cherry picking data just because the B1G is garbage outside of Michigan and Indiana for basketball. Now show me some data for football - it isn't available because there are no ratings numbers for the Big Ten network except in their designated markets - this gives no insight into national viewing because the B1G is made up of midwestern schools with no competition. Now the B1G can pretend they have some relevance in NYC in 2014 and we'll see how meaningless RU is when appearing against schools that people actually care about.

You budget your first (8) words to agreeing that football drives the bus but then spend the rest of a very long post talking about basketball. Not only that, but you are trying to discount the fact that the B1G is the most attended in person and watched on TV, basketball conference in the country. So hoops games involving Syracuse, UNC, Duke, and a Top 5 Miami team outdrew various combinations of Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Depaul and Northwestern. Cherry pick your data much?

All of that is irrelevant, this is about football.
Those attendence numbers will drastically change as Syarcuse and Louisville are usually in the top 3 of attendence... But that is beside the point.
The BTN will not have nearly the amount of live content that an ACC network will... First most of the quality football games will be on ESPN, FOX etc so the BTN will only play lower quality games, 2nd what does the BTN plan on showing when football season is over? There may be some solid basketball games they can throw on the BTN but nothing of the caliber that an ACC netwotk will be showing? 3rd after football and basketball season what other live content will the BTN show? The ACC network will have the best college baseball and Lax leagues in the country? So yes football is driving the bus but the BTN won't be able to play live college football games year round?

ArizonaKnight, you should just hope you pull in enough revenue to offset what you're having to pull from the student body.

Over $15M of University Support in 2008.

Over $28M in 2012.

Top school in the nation in the amount of revenue you need to pull from the student body. Something to be proud of, I'm sure.

THIS. Even assuming that the BiG projections of $40 million a year come true by 2020 or so, that $40 million minus the $5 million they were getting in the Big East and then minus the $28 million they were taking from the student body, gets them a net of $7 million a year. Now, think about how much they will need to spend to keep up with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State. And we haven't even talked about what will be involved if a stipend to football and basketball players comes about.

Now, had Rutgers run their athletic department like Louisville runs theirs, they could have seen an incredible boon. But that simply wasn't the case and I don't see how the increase when looked at like above is suddenly going to take Rutgers to the next level in terms of athletic accomplishments. Yes, they will finally be solvent. But will they finally be any good overall? That's the question I have.

Cheers,
Neil

THIS. Even assuming that the BiG projections of $40 million a year come true by 2020 or so, that $40 million minus the $5 million they were getting in the Big East and then minus the $28 million they were taking from the student body, gets them a net of $7 million a year. Now, think about how much they will need to spend to keep up with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State. And we haven't even talked about what will be involved if a stipend to football and basketball players comes about.

Now, had Rutgers run their athletic department like Louisville runs theirs, they could have seen an incredible boon. But that simply wasn't the case and I don't see how the increase when looked at like above is suddenly going to take Rutgers to the next level in terms of athletic accomplishments. Yes, they will finally be solvent. But will they finally be any good overall? That's the question I have.

Cheers,
Neil

this is exactly where I was leading with my points. Yes, Rutgers will definitely be better off financially, but that doesn't mean that $40M in 2021 is going to free to be used for whatever football purpose they want to use it for. On the otherhand, SU is already in the black and the additional $20M per year is only going to supplement that.

I'll keep this short. Football is driving the bus. We all know that.

That said, hoops is a distant second and by any current metric, the B1G leads the nation in attendance and viewership. This season, 6 of the top 10 rated games all year were B1G In-Conference games. The ACC, as a conference, was 2nd with 1...1. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-2-numbers-for-the-second-half-of-the-season/ No one in the B1G is going to starve because of basketball.

And FSU, and Miami, and VT and Clemson have all been down. That won't stay that way. At least two of those teams will be back up.

The Big will lose viewership in basketball adding Rutgers and Maryland, but the ACC picks up 3 brands nationally watched in Syracuse, Louisville, and Notre Dame, plus a 4th in Pittsburgh. In football a rejuvenated Miami still will get ratings nationally and partial Notre Dame games will beat any Big 10 games. Good luck in the new world, in the next 5 years ratings will change for everyone.

cable isn't going a la carte anytime soon ,companies don't want it channels don't either .

Thread Summary:

Syracuse to ACC is good financially right away. Due to this, we stand to be competitive from, um ... this season. It's also going to help us build an IPF.

Rutgers to the B1G is not good for them financially for at least 7 years. Due to this they will steadily fall behind, on and off the field. When they do finally see the $, barring some sort of massive change in how cable works, they will break even and still be practicing under an inflated dome. They will also still suck at basketball.

Thread Summary:

Syracuse to ACC is good financially right away. Due to this, we stand to be competitive from, um ... this season. It's also going to help us build an IPF.

Rutgers to the B1G is not good for them financially for at least 7 years. Due to this they will steadily fall behind, on and off the field. When they do finally see the $, barring some sort of massive change in how cable works, they will break even and still be practicing under an inflated dome. They will also still suck at basketball.

ArizonaKnight is a solid poster. Why he likes to hang out here I have no idea, but respect his viewpoint.

Rutgirls getting into the Big X+ is a great accomplishment for them. Of course they don't get full share but hell, what was there slice of whatever the hell the Big East was left to be?

They will be fine'ish - they are still what they are and have major atheltic administration issues - and I am am just damn psyched Syracuse leadership did what they did. (And BTW, the Big X+ absolutely was coveting Syracuse per a former client of mine who runs athletics at one of the schools...and hell, the league took on Johns Hopkins for lacrosse as one reason WHY they wanted Cuse: lax.)

Nobody is arguing about football driving the bus; the most important content appearing on the conference networks will be less desirable football and basketball games. There are many more basketball games each season, looking at your article you'll notice many highly rated games with Syracuse, Louisville and Notre Dame. The ACC is adding 3 huge basketball brands that they can throw on their network when the schools are not playing top tier opponents. The B1G won't be seeing any marked improvement adding RU and UMD.
For a good comparison let's look at the games that appear on ESPNU and assume that these games can be shifted to conference networks.
Week 12 - Syracuse Nova - 0.5 Nebraska Penn State - 0.2
Week 13 - UNC BC - 0.2 Penn State Iowa - 0.1
Week 13 - Boston College Duke - 0.4 Penn State Nebraska - 0.1
Week 14 - Miami Clemson - 0.3 Rutgers Depaul - 0.0
Week 15 - Virginia Miami - 0.2 Rutgers Nova - 0.1
Week 16 - Va Tech Duke - 0.3 Penn State. Northwestern 0.0
They're like Blutarsky - 0.0

They're like Blutarsky - 0.0

Look through the list again genius and compare B1g vs ACC appearing outside of ESPN, ESPN 2 or CBS. Those are games that can be considered interchangeable with a conference network. Don't say I'm cherry picking data just because the B1G is garbage outside of Michigan and Indiana for basketball. Now show me some data for football - it isn't available because there are no ratings numbers for the Big Ten network except in their designated markets - this gives no insight into national viewing because the B1G is made up of midwestern schools with no competition. Now the B1G can pretend they have some relevance in NYC in 2014 and we'll see how meaningless RU is when appearing against schools that people actually care about.

ESPNU picks after the BTN. So to be fair, you should compare your ACC games to one's like:

Michigan State vs. Purdue
Ohio State vs. Illinois
Iowa vs. Michigan
Indiana vs. Minnesota
Illinois vs. Michigan
Indiana vs. Purdue
Indiana vs. Iowa

Those are the type of hoops games that were shown on the BTN this past year. ESPN U gets last pick. (Place Rutgers jokes here)

ESPNU picks after the BTN. So to be fair, you should compare your ACC games to one's like:

Michigan State vs. Purdue
Ohio State vs. Illinois
Iowa vs. Michigan
Indiana vs. Minnesota
Illinois vs. Michigan
Indiana vs. Purdue
Indiana vs. Iowa

Those are the type of hoops games that were shown on the BTN this past year. ESPN U gets last pick. (Place Rutgers jokes here)

Fair enough. It is fair to assume that ACC Network games featuring the likes of Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, UNC and Duke will still come on top in the ratings.

I hope for your sake that The Ocho is available in your area.