McMurphy Tweet... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy Tweet...

Rutgers ended up with a magic bean to save their ass. As for the Terps...maybe not spending money on a different uniform/helmet for every game might have helped them as it seems like they probably spent even more foolishly on things we don't even know about. It amazes me that these educated people in charge of universities and colleges have the fiscal common sense of a 2 year old.

Didn't the Phil Knight wannabe from Under Armour donate all those uniforms to Maryland?

Didn't the Phil Knight wannabe from Under Armour donate all those uniforms to Maryland?

Did he? I don't know shandeezy but if he did they're worse with their money then I thought.

The dynamics of cable are evolving. Forcing channels on cable subscribers is on its way out. Oh, after seven years Rutgers will have a 3.5% stake in the big ten network... big deal, that's not a liquid asset. They're not exactly getting in on the ground floor.

The BIGGEST issue with this potential Rutgers' athletic department windfall is it WILL be partially siphoned off to cover other shortfalls at the university. This is how NJ works.

quote]

A couple of things...

1. If/when cable goes ala carte, the B1G will still be in a great position because they already are a content provider via traditional broadcasting and mobile device delivery with BTN2Go.

2. The BTN was estimated to be worth $1.5 billion in 2012 a whole 5 years after it started. I'm not sure you can say it's not a liquid asset when Networks get bought and sold. Foxcorp just bought a stake in Yes for about $1.5 billion.

3. As for getting on the "ground floor", thats precisely where Rutgers will be in 2020. But getting a diluted share for the first several years, Rutgers will be an equal partner with Ohio State in 2020. So if the BTN is worth $2,000,000,000 in 2020, Rutgers 3.5% stake would be worth the same as Michigans at about $70MM each.

4. The state does not run Rutgers. The state throws tantrums, but it doesn't have the power. When Rutgers expanded the stadium for $100MM the state forced the firing of the AD and Rutgers responded by putting in a 5MM recruiting lounge. This year the state gov went crazy over the Mike Rice fiasco and once again forced the firing of the AD and Head Coach and Rutgers responded by paying more for a basketball coach then we ever had in the past.

Who cares if the B1G was the only conference that invited us? That's like saying I "had" to take Adriana Lima to the prom because she was the only one who wanted to go with me.

Syracuse was in the same boat as Rutgers and took the only option it had. At the end of the day, Syracuse was a better fit for the ACC and Rutgers was a better fit for the B1G.

Agree. I thought the bigger story was Maryland than Rutgers. Rutgers starting with a partial share is still 75 million times better than being stuck in the AAC. 7 years will go by quickly. For Maryland, it just seems like an interesting forecasting exercise, that I'd love to see. I'm not entirely convinced they understand it all, just because they have accountants, lawyers, etc. who were probably working on it.

I was also trying to find out how long Nebraska had to wait for full share. I know they didn't have it up front, but I didn't think it was 7 years either. Could be. I responded to McMurphy, but he had moved on by then. Was more curious than anything else, didn't want to use it as a Nebraska brand vs Maryland/Rutgers brand. Not much value add in that analysis.

I agree with your first sentence, but disagree with your second. It's been reported numerous times that the B1G had interest in SU. It was SU, though, that preferred the ACC.

Alrighty then!

1. If/when cable goes ala carte, the B1G will still be in a great position because they already are a content provider via traditional broadcasting and mobile device delivery with BTN2Go.

2. The BTN was estimated to be worth $1.5 billion in 2012 a whole 5 years after it started. I'm not sure you can say it's not a liquid asset when Networks get bought and sold. Foxcorp just bought a stake in Yes for about $1.5 billion.

3. As for getting on the "ground floor", thats precisely where Rutgers will be in 2020. But getting a diluted share for the first several years, Rutgers will be an equal partner with Ohio State in 2020. So if the BTN is worth $2,000,000,000 in 2020, Rutgers 3.5% stake would be worth the same as Michigans at about $70MM each.

4. The state does not run Rutgers. The state throws tantrums, but it doesn't have the power. When Rutgers expanded the stadium for $100MM the state forced the firing of the AD and Rutgers responded by putting in a 5MM recruiting lounge. This year the state gov went crazy over the Mike Rice fiasco and once again forced the firing of the AD and Head Coach and Rutgers responded by paying more for a basketball coach then we ever had in the past.

Didn't want to touch "Syracuse is a better run athletic department"?

OK, Syracuse has been a better run athletic department. Just about every school in America has done a better job running their AD. Hopefully that change will begin with the new conference affiliation and new leadership.

Now your turn... you didn't touch anything.

OK, Syracuse has been a better run athletic department. Just about every school in America has done a better job running their AD. Hopefully that change will begin with the new conference affiliation and new leadership.

Now your turn... you didn't touch anything.

I guess congratulations on riding the Big 10's tailcoat and cashing in on others success is in order.

Head Coach and Rutgers responded by paying more for a basketbaa better run athletic department

Whoa whoa whoa... hold the gd phone. How much are you knuckleheads paying Eddie Jordan? He was a lousy player 3 decades ago. An even worse coach (accumulating a lovely 43% win percentage) what am I missing?

It's amazing that Rutgers has been playing colleg athletics for 100 years but their greatest achievement was the B1G not doing their due diligence when researching expansion outside of looking for universites closest to NYC.

You along with the rest of the New Jersey State faithful sound like the "new money" - West Virginia fans. All this constant talk of revenue money but little talk of the product on the field. At least the WVU fans had some success to fall back on, RU on the other hand has nothing to hang their hat on besides a check in the mail. I'll humor you and talk revenue for a minute since it seems to be the constant point of discussion among RU fans. Network paychecks by all accounts are virtually identical at this very moment - the B1G is going on the open market in a few years. Good for the conference.
We all know that the ACC will be adding a network - this will be slightly less valuable during football season but the rest of the year will be better than the B1G. The best basketball conference, the best baseball conference and the best lacrosse conference. Those seasons account for most of the year and will easily make up all of the slight value difference from the short football season. Also take into account that Syracuse brings in a profit of almost $12 million from just basketball ( http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45mkld/9-syracuse-orange-2/ )- RU will never be anywhere close to that. Money among power conferences will be in the same ballpark but unlike NJ State, Syracuse will be playing in a league where we can compete and will continue to have success, something you have never experienced and never will.

Who cares if the B1G was the only conference that invited us? That's like saying I "had" to take Adriana Lima to the prom because she was the only one who wanted to go with me.

Syracuse was in the same boat as Rutgers and took the only option it had. At the end of the day, Syracuse was a better fit for the ACC and Rutgers was a better fit for the B1G.

Not true. If ACC didn't come then -- after also coming in 2003-- the b10 would have looked at SU. The ACC was not looking at Rutgers. Although in fairness, I suppose you could say the B12 would have wanted Rutgers...maybe.

Okay, I'll give it a go:

1) How is this any different than the ACC or other leagues that have traditional (Raycom) and mobile device delivery (ACC's digital network reaches over 300M devices)? what you should be worried regarding a la carte is the valuation hit the B1G Network will receive. So,

2) it may be worrth $1.5B now with forced subscription, but under a la carte, I would predict that subscription service and revenue would plummet.

3) $70MM? Sounds like WVU fans and their current year $45MM estimate, which we all know is nonsense.

You along with the rest of the New Jersey State faithful sound like the "new money" - West Virginia fans. All this constant talk of revenue money but little talk of the product on the field. At least the WVU fans had some success to fall back on, RU on the other hand has nothing to hang their hat on besides a check in the mail. I'll humor you and talk revenue for a minute since it seems to be the constant point of discussion among RU fans. Network paychecks by all accounts are virtually identical at this very moment - the B1G is going on the open market in a few years. Good for the conference.
We all know that the ACC will be adding a network - this will be slightly less valuable during football season but the rest of the year will be better than the B1G. The best basketball conference, the best baseball conference and the best lacrosse conference. Those seasons account for most of the year and will easily make up all of the slight value difference from the short football season. Also take into account that Syracuse brings in a profit of almost $12 million from just basketball ( http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm45mkld/9-syracuse-orange-2/ )- RU will never be anywhere close to that. Money among power conferences will be in the same ballpark but unlike NJ State, Syracuse will be playing in a league where we can compete and will continue to have success, something you have never experienced and never will.

I'll keep this short. Football is driving the bus. We all know that.

That said, hoops is a distant second and by any current metric, the B1G leads the nation in attendance and viewership. This season, 6 of the top 10 rated games all year were B1G In-Conference games. The ACC, as a conference, was 2nd with 1...1. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-2-numbers-for-the-second-half-of-the-season/ No one in the B1G is going to starve because of basketball.

Okay, I'll give it a go:

1) How is this any different than the ACC or other leagues that have traditional (Raycom) and mobile device delivery (ACC's digital network reaches over 300M devices)? what you should be worried regarding a la carte is the valuation hit the B1G Network will receive. So,

2) it may be worrth $1.5B now with forced subscription, but under a la carte, I would predict that subscription service and revenue would plummet.

3) $70MM? Sounds like WVU fans and their current year $45MM estimate, which we all know is nonsense.

1. If the world turns ala carte, the BTN and ESPN will both be affected. I'm not convinced that either would lose money. But if we make that assumption, do you think ESPN will continue to pay what they are paying today for content if their profits are suddenly eroded due to an ala carte model? Of course they won't. In either case, as long as the B1G get's better viewership than the ACC for both hoops and football, logic would suggest we will get more money.

2. See #1.

3. The 70MM was not annual revenue like the 45MM for WVU. It was the equity value that Rutgers would have in the BTN at $2,000,000,000.

1. If the world turns ala carte, the BTN and ESPN will both be affected. I'm not convinced that either would lose money. But if we make that assumption, do you think ESPN will continue to pay what they are paying today for content if their profits are suddenly eroded due to an ala carte model? Of course they won't. In either case, as long as the B1G get's better viewership than the ACC for both hoops and football, logic would suggest we will get more money.

2. See #1.

3. The 70MM was not annual revenue like the 45MM for WVU. It was the equity value that Rutgers would have in the BTN at $2,000,000,000.

1) which is not a given, especially with population movement.

2) See #1

3) Equity value doesn't pay the bills (see post above yours).

Look, no one is saying you are going to lose out from moving to the B1G, but don't act like you are on some higher echelon than Syracuse, let alone the rest of the college football world.

1) which is not a given, especially with population movement.

2) See #1

3) Equity value doesn't pay the bills (see post above yours).

Look, no one is saying you are going to lose out from moving to the B1G, but don't act like you are on some higher echelon than Syracuse, let alone the rest of the college football world.

3) I know it's been a long thread but when equity was brought up it had nothing to do with paying bills. The 40MM+ that the B1G will be handing out to member schools annually starting in 2017 will be paying the bills.

Your last sentence just tells me that you are arguing with strawmen.

3) I know it's been a long thread but when equity was brought up it had nothing to do with paying bills. The 40MM+ that the B1G will be handing out to member schools annually starting in 2017 will be paying the bills.

Your last sentence just tells me that you are arguing with strawmen.

You won't be getting $40MM in 2017, 18, 19 0r even 20. But, keep the dream alive.

I'll keep this short. Football is driving the bus. We all know that.

That said, hoops is a distant second and by any current metric, the B1G leads the nation in attendance and viewership. This season, 6 of the top 10 rated games all year were B1G In-Conference games. The ACC, as a conference, was 2nd with 1...1. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-2-numbers-for-the-second-half-of-the-season/ No one in the B1G is going to starve because of basketball.

Nobody is arguing about football driving the bus; the most important content appearing on the conference networks will be less desirable football and basketball games. There are many more basketball games each season, looking at your article you'll notice many highly rated games with Syracuse, Louisville and Notre Dame. The ACC is adding 3 huge basketball brands that they can throw on their network when the schools are not playing top tier opponents. The B1G won't be seeing any marked improvement adding RU and UMD.
For a good comparison let's look at the games that appear on ESPNU and assume that these games can be shifted to conference networks.
Week 12 - Syracuse Nova - 0.5 Nebraska Penn State - 0.2
Week 13 - UNC BC - 0.2 Penn State Iowa - 0.1
Week 13 - Boston College Duke - 0.4 Penn State Nebraska - 0.1
Week 14 - Miami Clemson - 0.3 Rutgers Depaul - 0.0
Week 15 - Virginia Miami - 0.2 Rutgers Nova - 0.1
Week 16 - Va Tech Duke - 0.3 Penn State. Northwestern 0.0

You won't be getting $40MM in 2017, 18, 19 0r even 20. But, keep the dream alive.

You will be proven wrong. Were you one of the many denizens on here who also claimed that Rutgers to the B1G was also a dream?

You will be proven wrong. Were you one of the many denizens on here who also claimed that Rutgers to the B1G was also a dream?
so, you're saying McMurphy is lying and that you will be getting $40MM, assuming that's full share, prior to year 2021?

Nobody is arguing about football driving the bus; the most important content appearing on the conference networks will be less desirable football and basketball games. There are many more basketball games each season, looking at your article you'll notice many highly rated games with Syracuse, Louisville and Notre Dame. The ACC is adding 3 huge basketball brands that they can throw on their network when the schools are not playing top tier opponents. The B1G won't be seeing any marked improvement adding RU and UMD.
For a good comparison let's look at the games that appear on ESPNU and assume that these games can be shifted to conference networks.
Week 12 - Syracuse Nova - 0.5 Nebraska Penn State - 0.2
Week 13 - UNC BC - 0.2 Penn State Iowa - 0.1
Week 13 - Boston College Duke - 0.4 Penn State Nebraska - 0.1
Week 14 - Miami Clemson - 0.3 Rutgers Depaul - 0.0
Week 15 - Virginia Miami - 0.2 Rutgers Nova - 0.1
Week 16 - Va Tech Duke - 0.3 Penn State. Northwestern 0.0

You budget your first (8) words to agreeing that football drives the bus but then spend the rest of a very long post talking about basketball. Not only that, but you are trying to discount the fact that the B1G is the most attended in person and watched on TV, basketball conference in the country. So hoops games involving Syracuse, UNC, Duke, and a Top 5 Miami team outdrew various combinations of Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Depaul and Northwestern. Cherry pick your data much?

All of that is irrelevant, this is about football.