Melo is a free agent | Syracusefan.com

Melo is a free agent

now that they won't get wiggins or parker, i'm having a debate with myself on whether Philly should get in the mix since they've got plenty of cap and will have a TON of young quality players to put with him. Stylistically, it's obviously a stretch for Philly who's operating in the Spurs model...but in lieu of wigging/parker, i'm now mildly intrigued.

now that they won't get wiggins or parker, i'm having a debate with myself on whether Philly should get in the mix since they've got plenty of cap and will have a TON of young quality players to put with him. Stylistically, it's obviously a stretch for Philly who's operating in the Spurs model...but in lieu of wigging/parker, i'm now mildly intrigued.
NBA guys don't think like this, but Philly/Orlando/Phoenix/Utah should be primo FA destinations for guys looking to have a competitive organization around them.

The Association is about big/cool markets and having a sidekick though.

Melo either goes to Chicago for 4yr 90 million or ego master Phil Jackson will give him the 5 yr deal for good money prolly not max but close.
Melo is not going to Miami or Houston and forget the rest of teams with cap space.
Chicago trades 16 and 18 with Boozer for Aaron Afallio and bad contracts from Orlando and signs Melo the Bulls become the best team in the East.

Melo either goes to Chicago for 4yr 90 million or ego master Phil Jackson will give him the 5 yr deal for good money prolly not max but close.
Melo is not going to Miami or Houston and forget the rest of teams with cap space.
Chicago trades 16 and 18 with Boozer for Aaron Afallio and bad contracts from Orlando and signs Melo the Bulls become the best team in the East.
The problem with your scenario is that Orlando doesn't have bad contracts, and already have tons of cap flexibility.

Afflalo should be viewed as part of the solution there. I get why people want him - good player on a very fair contract. Realistically, he's worth at least a lotto pick though.

Just hoping the Knicks can work a sign a trade to get some assets out of Chicago.

NBA guys don't think like this, but Philly/Orlando/Phoenix/Utah should be primo FA destinations for guys looking to have a competitive organization around them.

The Association is about big/cool markets and having a sidekick though.

Phoenix really is a great one. The other teams are pretty bad, but Phoenix was good last year.

Just hoping the Knicks can work a sign a trade to get some assets out of Chicago.

Phoenix really is a great one. The other teams are pretty bad, but Phoenix was good last year.
On your first note, I wonder if Melo wants to go down that road again. I think this time he wants to fit in to a situation that's already good, not weaken one. Does a sign and trade work using only draft picks? That could be good for both sides - Chicago might not want those contract commitments, as low as they'd be, and the Knicks could really use some young talent on cheap deals.

On your second note, I think Phoenix is really underrated. It was good enough for Barkley, why isn't it good enough for one of today's All-Stars?

On your first note, I wonder if Melo wants to go down that road again. I think this time he wants to fit in to a situation that's already good, not weaken one. Does a sign and trade work using only draft picks? That could be good for both sides - Chicago might not want those contract commitments, as low as they'd be, and the Knicks could really use some young talent on cheap deals.

On your second note, I think Phoenix is really underrated. It was good enough for Barkley, why isn't it good enough for one of today's All-Stars?

Phoenix; it might be, free agency hasn't even started yet. And they have one of the best, probably the best, medical staffs in the league.

I'm just hoping the Knicks can work a sign and trade, not sure how likely. I was reading in a Chicago paper if the Bulls just amnestied Boozer, they'd have roughly $11 million to spend on Melo. So they would need to clear some more room. Also Reinsdorf doesn't like paying the tax so I'm hoping he doesn't like the idea of paying Boozer about $17 million next year to not play for him. The only way a sign and trade works is if the Knicks take the last year of Boozer's contract. (I think). So I would eat the last year of Boozer if they could get Mirotic and maybe one (or 2, if Im feeling greedy) of their first rounders this year.

Phoenix was a fun team to watch last year, and young. They were a couple of play away from making the playoffs in a loaded western conference. That's incredibly impressive. They would have been what, a 3 seed in the East with their record?

Hornacek is a good coach.

Phoenix; it might be, free agency hasn't even started yet. And they have one of the best, probably the best, medical staffs in the league.

I'm just hoping the Knicks can work a sign and trade, not sure how likely. I was reading in a Chicago paper if the Bulls just amnestied Boozer, they'd have roughly $11 million to spend on Melo. So they would need to clear some more room. Also Reinsdorf doesn't like paying the tax so I'm hoping he doesn't like the idea of paying Boozer about $17 million next year to not play for him. The only way a sign and trade works is if the Knicks take the last year of Boozer's contract. (I think). So I would eat the last year of Boozer if they could get Mirotic and maybe one (or 2, if Im feeling greedy) of their first rounders this year.
I keep forgetting about Mirotic. Maybe that could work.

Those first rounders either get Chicago 2 bench players or are used as trade bait for a legit shooting guard most likely Affalio from Orlando.
I can't see Dolan helping Melo with a sign and trade after he cut Donnie Walsh's legs in the Melo trade in 2011 and all those assets NYK gave up. Even though he should I doubt the Knicks would get more than one future first round pick and a trade exemption in the future.

Phoenix was a fun team to watch last year, and young. They were a couple of play away from making the playoffs in a loaded western conference. That's incredibly impressive. They would have been what, a 3 seed in the East with their record?

Hornacek is a good coach.

Yeah by record they would have been tied for third with Chicago and Toronto. But the unbalanced schedule would probably push them up, they were 28-24 vs the west and 20-10 vs the east. It's not perfect, but if they had the same win% vs the two conferences but changed the number of games, they would have been 51-31.

Those first rounders either get Chicago 2 bench players or are used as trade bait for a legit shooting guard most likely Affalio from Orlando.
I can't see Dolan helping Melo with a sign and trade after he cut Donnie Walsh's legs in the Melo trade in 2011 and all those assets NYK gave up. Even though he should I doubt the Knicks would get more than one future first round pick and a trade exemption in the future.

The sign and trade would help the Knicks a lot more than it helps Melo.

Chicago is gonna have trouble fitting Melo under the cap if they don't make some trades. If they're willing to amnesty Boozer, that's something, but they still need to create some more room unless Melo is gonna take like 11-12 a year.

Sarver is a terrible owner that is what hurts Phoenix he screwed the D'Antoni ERA Suns with more cheap moves than any other NBA owner. The Suns drafted Rajon Rondo and traded his rights to Boston for a future first round pick and 3 million dollars then the following year traded that pick they acquired for Rondo for another 3 million dollars. That stuff hurts the Suns ability to attract FAs.

The sign and trade would help the Knicks a lot more than it helps Melo.

Chicago is gonna have trouble fitting Melo under the cap if they don't make some trades. If they're willing to amnesty Boozer, that's something, but they still need to create some more room unless Melo is gonna take like 11-12 a year.
Chicago is fine as you said Boozer is amnestied and they are fine. Melo would take less to go to Houston or Miami but not with Chicago.
Reinsdorf may be cheap but he bought the pick that would become Loul Dieng in 2005 so he isn't completely cheap even though he is cheap for an owner in the 3rd biggest market.

Yes, good call on Sarver. Very bad owner.

Chicago is fine as you said Boozer is amnestied and they are fine. Melo would take less to go to Houston or Miami but not with Chicago.
Reinsdorf may be cheap but he bought the pick that would become Loul Dieng in 2005 so he isn't completely cheap even though he is cheap for an owner in the 3rd biggest market.

According to the article I read, if (which might be a big if), they amnesty Boozer, they can offer Melo roughly $11 million a year. You think that gets it done?

Reinsdorf has pretty much never paid the luxury; they aren't OKC, but I think it's an open question if they would be fine amnestying Boozer and not exploring other options. Especially if the sign and trade helps them open up the full MLE

F chicago and Double F Melo if he goes there.

F houston, that place is worthless and Triple F Melo if he goes there.

that POS better resign.....

F chicago and Double F Melo if he goes there.

F houston, that place is worthless and Triple F Melo if he goes there.

that POS better resign...
The only thing that could have made this Kaiser-ier is if you had thrown in a derogatory nickname for Melo, but it's probably still too early since he may still resign.

Melo said he will take a first year salary of 18 million in a new contract and backload the contract value.

Chicago is 12 million under the cap now to get to that 20 million, the Bulls need to amnesty Boozer, tell Mirotic to hold off until 2015, and trade off some other high priced salary Taj Gibson + Draft picks + Jeff Teague

GoHamSU said:
Phoenix was a fun team to watch last year, and young. They were a couple of play away from making the playoffs in a loaded western conference. That's incredibly impressive. They would have been what, a 3 seed in the East with their record? Hornacek is a good coach.
Hornacek was an extremely good move. He could be the coach for 25 years. Just a great great move. I think McDonough was another great move. The management is all in place.

Melo said he will take a first year salary of 18 million in a new contract and backload the contract value.

Chicago is 12 million under the cap now to get to that 20 million, the Bulls need to amnesty Boozer, tell Mirotic to hold off until 2015, and trade off some other high priced salary Taj Gibson + Draft picks + Jeff Teague

Yeah, so maybe would trade Boozer with some of the draft picks to try and save that money they would pay to Boozer.

It's pretty much all I have to hope for right now...

Yeah, so maybe would trade Boozer with some of the draft picks to try and save that money they would pay to Boozer.

It's pretty much all I have to hope for right now...
You got Phil Jackson and crap loads of cap room coming, boss. Chin up.

You got Phil Jackson and crap loads of cap room coming, boss. Chin up.
Next year's FA crop is Aldridge unless he has resigned not sure, Rondo, Love. Even if Rondo and Love go to NYK and I highly doubt both will the Knicks need either Lebron or Durant in 2o16. Phil Jackson hasn't shown me anything to feel optimistic about he played the media game with Melo publicly which was stupid. Even if he wanted Melo to leave and is using the thing where he asked Melo to wait 1 year. That excuse that is weak sauce and oozes Phil's ego wants to blame Melo.

Hiring Fisher was a joke. They wouldn't give Kerr 4 years then they gave Fisher 5 years. The Knicks are a Tiffany's franchise in the NBA with the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Sixers and the fact Jackson hired a complete inexperienced coach is a joke. The Knicks are going to tank next year and hope to win the lottery and attract FAs, but Phil's ego will be his undoing.

What annoying about this, is I don't see a team Melo can go to that will actually give him a chance to win this year. I think his best option is to resign in NY and next year draw up some top end FA talent.

Chicago is only a good place if Rose is 100% healthy and back to MVP form, and who here thinks thats likely?

What annoying about this, is I don't see a team Melo can go to that will actually give him a chance to win this year. I think his best option is to resign in NY and next year draw up some top end FA talent.

Chicago is only a good place if Rose is 100% healthy and back to MVP form, and who here thinks thats likely?