Melo overrated? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo overrated?

You guys are WAY overrating the Knicks talent.

PG - Nobody. Literally we'd be better with nobody playing point. 4 on 5
SG- Aaron Afflalo is a name people know. If his name wasn't Aaron Afflalo he wouldn't play. His defense is awful and he looks like Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing a deep pass when he shoots threes.
- Langston Galloway. The only ok player in our entire backcourt.
SF- Melo. Lance Thomas.
PF- Kristaps Porzingis who is a rookie hitting the rookie wall. Derrick Williams who aside from Galloway is the only bench player who isn't complete trash. Slight nod to Lance Thomas as an ok player off the bench.
C - Rolo and a bunch of nothing.

KD is not taking that team to the Playoffs. Kawhi is DEFINITELY not taking that team to the playoffs.

They're going to finish a few games out of the playoffs. (they're 4.5 out right now, but I think they're just in a bad stretch right now, they're going to play better soon enough) I have no problem seeing Durant/Leonard being 5 or more games better than Melo.

Lance Thomas is having a really good year; if he's not a good player off the bench than your standard is way too high. O'Quinn is a guy who hasn't played much, but he's averaging 14-12 per 36 minutes with a 53% true shooting. He's not great, but not trash off the bench by any means. A big issue for the Knicks is how unbalanced the team is; they have a lot of solid front court players but not much in the back court.

I know we had this conversation before, but Calderon, while an atrocious defender, is still a really efficient shooter. He's not good by any means, probably in the bottom 5 or 7 among starting PG in the league, don't get me wrong. I just think you're going way too far to defend Melo. (Also the Knicks are in the middle of a bad stretch so all of their players look worse than they are)

For whatever it's worth, by win shares, Melo is about 5 games behind both KD and Leonard so far this year, which would be about 7-8 games over the course of a full season. It's not a perfect measure by any means, I'll grant that.

Last edited:
Calderon-Grant
Afflalo-Galloway
Kawhi-Lance
KP-D-Will
Rolo-O'Quinn

That team is going to the Playoffs?

Calderon-Grant
Afflalo-Galloway
Kawhi-Lance
KP-D-Will
Rolo-O'Quinn

That team is going to the Playoffs?

I think so. I don't see how that roster is worse than the Hornets or Pacers or Pistons. I think the current Knick roster has a chance to make the playoffs.

At the end of the day he's still a scoring threat every time he steps on the floor. As many have said, he's not in the same tier as LeBron, Paul George, Leonard. But he is most certainly in that next tier.

Have you seen the Cavs rosters from the first run? They won 66 games (10 teams in NBA history have won more) and here are 2-5 in minutes played, after Lebron
2. Mo Williams
3. Andy Varejao
4. Delonte West
5. Daniel Gibson

I mean.

Honestly, the more I think about it, winning 66 games with that crew may be Lebron's greatest accomplishment in the NBA. If Melo had that kind of supporting cast people would make excuses for him if they won 35 games.

I don't know - our team this season may have 40 games in the East that year. I always thought Melo's success early on in the West was pretty impressive. Wish he would have started out in the East and had a team built around him there instead.

The more amazing thing is how good the Cav's record was against the Western Conference that year. Although those teams slugged it out night after night, most nights in the Eastern Conference was a bye for the top three. I'm sure that made it easier to get up for those games against the West.

Have you seen the Cavs rosters from the first run? They won 66 games (10 teams in NBA history have won more) and here are 2-5 in minutes played, after Lebron
2. Mo Williams
3. Andy Varejao
4. Delonte West
5. Daniel Gibson

I mean.

Honestly, the more I think about it, winning 66 games with that crew may be Lebron's greatest accomplishment in the NBA. If Melo had that kind of supporting cast people would make excuses for him if they won 35 games.
I was referring to modern day LeBron. I never watched LeBron before the Heat. That does sound like his best accomplishment.

Melo is having a career year in assists. He always rebounded the ball decently. Melo's D is not elite. He is a top 10-15 player that is nothing to sneeze at but he isn't a better player than Leonard/Durant/George.

He just isn't.

We need the board NBA experts MikeSU02 and Knicks411 to chime in. They may disagree with me and agree with you. I think Melo is definitely an all-Star and top 10-15 player but he isn't as good as the players I posted above.

All that is fine...I'd put him around 10-15 myself and yes he's not as good as Lebron and Durant...that doesn't make him "overrated" though. Who is overrating him? Is anyone saying that he IS better than Lebron and Durant? Not that I've heard. (well, this board used to argue him over Lebron in like 2004 and some kept up the good fight for a few more years after).

I took issue with "not an all around player" when he's one of the top scoring, rebounding, and assisting SF's, and while he's not an elite defender he's not nearly as bad as many people pretend he is (while others who don't even watch the games blindly repeat it).

Good points. Only this board believes he is in the conversation with a LBJ, Durant, etc. I personally think he is a bit overrated as a total basketball player. I also believe Kawhi (a LEGIT MVP candidate) and Paul George are better basketball players. Nothing wrong with that since both are seriously GREAT players, younger, and impact the game in more ways than he does. Melo will always be one of the best scoring forwards to have played the game. What's wrong with that?

Paul George really hasn't been that good for 2 months now. He played out of his mind in November. I feel like he did the same thing 2 years ago.

He's still young, but I'm holding out on labeling him a great player and better than Carmelo. He's shooting worse (and Melo is not shooting well), turning the ball over way more, assisting less and rebounding less. Better defender, but that's the only area he has an edge.

Melo's career stats and accomplishments compare favorably to past SF greats like Dominique Wilkins, Chris Mullin, Bernard King, and Alex English.

If you're calling guys like that "overrated", you're either trying too hard to get some attention or you're just a miserable sports fan who basically craps on everyone. Either way, you suck.

Melo's career stats and accomplishments compare favorably to past SF greats like Dominique Wilkins, Chris Mullin, Bernard King, and Alex English.

If you're calling guys like that "overrated", you're either trying too hard to get some attention or you're just a miserable sports fan who basically craps on everyone. Either way, you suck.
No rings in that group of underachieving losers. ;)

I honestly don't think Melo is overrated around the country, I think he is very overrated in Syracuse with good reason.

I mean, people are using the Olympics as an example of why he isn't overrated, I think that says enough about this discussion.

I honestly don't think Melo is overrated around the country, I think he is very overrated in Syracuse with good reason.

I mean, people are using the Olympics as an example of why he isn't overrated, I think that says enough about this discussion.
How is he overrated? Every critic and their mother keeps talking about how overrated he is yet I don't know who's blowing him up to cause him to be overrated.

KD is very close to becoming Melo 2.0 if he doesn't win anything sometime soon. KD also has a teammate who might even be better than him.

Lebron and Curry are next level. The distance between them and the next tier is huge.

How is he overrated? Every critic and their mother keeps talking about how overrated he is yet I don't know who's blowing him up to cause him to be overrated.

KD is very close to becoming Melo 2.0 if he doesn't win anything sometime soon. KD also has a teammate who might even be better than him.

Lebron and Curry are next level. The distance between them and the next tier is huge.

Again, I don't think he is overrated across the country, but he is around here. There are people here who still think he is a top 5 player around the league, I don't think anybody else in the country would say he is.

Yeah, given that Durant got fed up with the media awhile ago, it's a matter of time before they turn on him. And it'll be as dumb as it always is.

Again, I don't think he is overrated across the country, but he is around here. There are people here who still think he is a top 5 player around the league, I don't think anybody else in the country would say he is.
Every player is overrated by their college town / hometown fans. That's not what ESPN is basing their rankings on.

Every player is overrated by their college town / hometown fans. That's not what ESPN is basing their rankings on.

You're right, I didn't say I agreed with their rankings. I personally don't think he is overrated to the general public.

At the end of the day he's still a scoring threat every time he steps on the floor. As many have said, he's not in the same tier as LeBron, Paul George, Leonard. But he is most certainly in that next tier.
I'm gonna go ahead and say Paul George is more overrated than Melo.

Kawhi is great on the Spurs. I'm not ready to say that if you put him on any playoff team that he immediately makes them a contender like Lebron.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Paul George is more overrated than Melo.

Kawhi is great on the Spurs. I'm not ready to say that if you put him on any playoff team that he immediately makes them a contender like Lebron.
Paul George is Gordon Hayward with a better team early in his career.

Leonard is very good but there's a whole lot of nurture to that nature.

Yeah, given that Durant got fed up with the media awhile ago, it's a matter of time before they turn on him. And it'll be as dumb as it always is.
Durant has already been threatened by Stephen A. Smith. Don't mess with Stephen A. He is serious.

Paul George is Gordon Hayward with a better team early in his career.

Leonard is very good but there's a whole lot of nurture to that nature.
LOL um no.
Hayward is a good player but he is not an All-Star player.

PG-13 is a better defender and they average around the same amount of points.

Indiana was never loaded they had Hibbert/West upfront and average guards.

Leonard is having a 50/40/90 season. Hell its almost an impossible 50/50/90 season. Leonard is also the best perimeter defender in the league. He doesn't take bad shots that is the key to success. His team is super balanced as you know as you are a Spurs fan.

Leonard is a having an MVP season but its going to be Steph Curry.

If enough people think your overrated, the pendulum swings the other way. He's probably underrated at this point given how much crap he gets.

I mean, What thinks Carmelo Anthony is a top five player in the league?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom