Melo overrated? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Melo overrated?

How ESPN didn't fire or discipline Stephen A. Smith for this was amazing. I mean go to 11:37 its straight chilling and the fact Skip makes Stephen A. the victim is amazing.

How did Stephen A,. Smith get away with threatening an MVP on TV and nothing happened.

Yeah, given that Durant got fed up with the media awhile ago, it's a matter of time before they turn on him. And it'll be as dumb as it always is.

It's only a matter of time; Durant was the guy everyone loved when Lebron was the villain of the league. I'd like to see what the same people who crushed Lebron for going to Miami say and held Durant up as the shining light of what the league should be write if Durant ends up going to Golden State in the summer. (Which I don't think is going to happen)

Paul George is Gordon Hayward with a better team early in his career.

Leonard is very good but there's a whole lot of nurture to that nature.

This is definitely true, but he's also a guy who has basically improved his game every year. (By PER, for instance, hes improved by 3 points each of the last 3 seasons). He's taking nearly 4 3's per game and is making 48% of them. He's now got a 25% usage rate with a 62% true shooting. And he's probably the best defensive player in the league. If you told me he's the third best player in the league right now I'm not sure I'd fight you on it too hard

Comparing the knicks to another team is silly. If you want to know where Melo stands take a look at how he does playing with his peers in the Olympics.
mentioned the same thing in another thread, and while i'm at it leonard has ,let me see, a guy named aldritch, some named parker, duncan, ginobli hymm all chumps I guess. Durant only has russell westbrook to help him out. whos melo got?

How ESPN didn't fire or discipline Stephen A. Smith for this was amazing. I mean go to 11:37 its straight chilling and the fact Skip makes Stephen A. the victim is amazing.

How did Stephen A,. Smith get away with threatening an MVP on TV and nothing happened.

One of the dumber and more ridiculous things I've ever seen. Stephen A needs to know his role. He's got zero credibility left.

mentioned the same thing in another thread, and while i'm at it leonard has ,let me see, a guy named aldritch, some named parker, duncan, ginobli hymm all chumps I guess. Durant only has russell westbrook to help him out. whos melo got?

In the NBA if you don't have two all stars, you can forget it. Your team is not good enough. Not only do the Knicks not have another all star...they don't have anyone else that's even close.

It's only a matter of time; Durant was the guy everyone loved when Lebron was the villain of the league. I'd like to see what the same people who crushed Lebron for going to Miami say and held Durant up as the shining light of what the league should be write if Durant ends up going to Golden State in the summer. (Which I don't think is going to happen)
I see a couple of Durant scenarios.
1. He signs a 1 yr extension to wait for the spike in NBA TV money and be a FA with Russell Westbrook.
2. He wants to go LA and the Clippers make a sign and trade with OKC for Blake Griffin. Griffin is from OK so it could work.
3. He wants to go GS and they move Iguadola and have the cap space to get him.
4, Jay-Z pushes him to Brooklyn, Knicks or Lakers

This is definitely true, but he's also a guy who has basically improved his game every year. (By PER, for instance, hes improved by 3 points each of the last 3 seasons). He's taking nearly 4 3's per game and is making 48% of them. He's now got a 25% usage rate with a 62% true shooting. And he's probably the best defensive player in the league. If you told me he's the third best player in the league right now I'm not sure I'd fight you on it too hard
How good is he if he's not on the Spurs though? That's the thing that I think is hard to say. On the Spurs, maybe he is the third best player right now. On the Bobcats, Magic or Timberwolves though?

I am a Knick fan. In past years he too often lived up to his one dimensional reputation. This year he has been terrific all around, and if anything it has been his shooting/scoring that has become the relative weak link of his game. He is rebounding and passing the best of his career. His D has been very solid.

The proof is in the pudding. Knicks are 0 & 7 with him out of the lineup despite KP and other upgrades. They are approx .500 when melo plays - huge differential.

Anybody who watches the Knicks knows that the problem is not Melo, but the lack of a true NBA quality starting PG. Calderson is old, slow, and inconsistent. Grant is young, fast, and even more inconsistent. Give the Knicks Conley (who they are interested in signing as a FA), and the 7 games back that melo misssed and they are an easy playoff team.

These threads are amazing. Anyone who criticizes Melo gets scolded and viewed as a crucifixion of him. Nobody, certainly not me, have been saying that he's a problem or a reason the Knicks aren't very good. I just think PGeorge and KLeonard are better OVERALL players currently. Those two would be stars on any team/any system. They have a better skillset than Melo and a better handle, imo. Melo will always be one of the best scoring SF's to have played the game in the mold of a better Bernard King/English/Nique. Certainly very few have the mid range scoring range like Melo has polished over the years.

How good is he if he's not on the Spurs though? That's the thing that I think is hard to say. On the Spurs, maybe he is the third best player right now. On the Bobcats, Magic or Timberwolves though?
Kwahi Leonard is the best player on the Spurs right now. It isn't debatable.
Duncan, Ginoboli are old and now role players. Tony Parker is a good offensive player but his turnstyle D is not good.
LaMarcus Aldridge is in his prime and an all-Star but isn't the straw that stirs the drink.

Kwahi Leonard obviously has benefited from the Spurs Coaching Staff developing his talent but too think his success is mainly because of the Spurs isn't fair to him. Leonard was by far the reason the Spurs beat the Heat 2 years ago. He shut down Lebron as much as humanly possible and made Lebron work on the defensive end.

The Hornets(Bobcats are gone) are 1 game out of the playoffs in East they would be a playoff team with Lenoard.

Magic were decent till January and have been awful since. Leonard would help them.

Twolves have Sam Mitchell killing them but Wiggins/Towns are a nice foundation. They will be good in a few years.

Leonard even without his insane offensive numbers would be the same lockdown defender on any team.

These threads are amazing. Anyone who criticizes Melo gets scolded and viewed as a crucifixion of him. Nobody, certainly not me, have been saying that he's a problem or a reason the Knicks aren't very good. I just think PGeorge and KLeonard are better OVERALL players currently. Those two would be stars on any team/any system. They have a better skillset than Melo and a better handle, imo. Melo will always be one of the best scoring SF's to have played the game in the mold of a better Bernard King/English/Nique. Certainly very few have the mid range scoring range like Melo has polished over the years.
Actually the op was "is melo overrated" and somehow it got skewed to kl and kd. The only argument I've ever seen on this board when melo is critisized is he hasn't been on a championship team, ie good to great players around him.

Kwahi Leonard is the best player on the Spurs right now. It isn't debatable.
Duncan, Ginoboli are old and now role players. Tony Parker is a good offensive player but his turnstyle D is not good.
LaMarcus Aldridge is in his prime and an all-Star but isn't the straw that stirs the drink.

Kwahi Leonard obviously has benefited from the Spurs Coaching Staff developing his talent but too think his success is mainly because of the Spurs isn't fair to him. Leonard was by far the reason the Spurs beat the Heat 2 years ago. He shut down Lebron as much as humanly possible and made Lebron work on the defensive end.

The Hornets(Bobcats are gone) are 1 game out of the playoffs in East they would be a playoff team with Lenoard.

Magic were decent till January and have been awful since. Leonard would help them.

Twolves have Sam Mitchell killing them but Wiggins/Towns are a nice foundation. They will be good in a few years.

Leonard even without his insane offensive numbers would be the same lockdown defender on any team.
I wasn't asking how good those other teams would be with Leonard. Obviously they would be better. I was asking if we would view Leonard the same way we do now.

I'm not disagreeing that Leonard is the Spurs best player. I'm suggesting that Leonard is rated favorably as a player in part due to his talent, and in part because he plays for an incredible franchise.

I didn't see all the posts here, but let's not forget that CA is in his 13th NBA season, and is currently 116th on the all-time NBA career minutes played list. He's a very good player now, to be sure, but he's not the player he was in his prime.

It's impossible to say because he's not on any other team, and maybe on another team he's not the third best player (though maybe he is) but what exactly do you think doesn't translate? I'd expect him to basically be the best defensive player in the league no matter where he is. His efficiency numbers might drop a bit on a lesser team, but his counting stats would probably go up. I don't watch him and think he's being propped up, for lack of a better term, by the team he's on. He's the biggest reason they're as good as they are.

Of course, then I look at the Spurs splits when he sits vs. when he plays; they're 15.5 points better than the opposition per 100 possessions when he plays, and 13 per 100 better when he sits. So, who knows, maybe you're right.

It's impossible to say because he's not on any other team, and maybe on another team he's not the third best player (though maybe he is) but what exactly do you think doesn't translate? I'd expect him to basically be the best defensive player in the league no matter where he is. His efficiency numbers might drop a bit on a lesser team, but his counting stats would probably go up. I don't watch him and think he's being propped up, for lack of a better term, by the team he's on. He's the biggest reason they're as good as they are.

Of course, then I look at the Spurs splits when he sits vs. when he plays; they're 15.5 points better than the opposition per 100 possessions when he plays, and 13 per 100 better when he sits. So, who knows, maybe you're right.

Pick a side! Is George or Leonard the best defensive player in the league! You can't keep saying they both are! :)

You really wouldn't argue that hard if someone said George is the 3rd best player in the league? That would be a tough pill for me to swallow. 3???

Tony DeFranco said:
I love Melo but at the NBA level he is irrelevant - he's so far behind Durant, Leonard or James - he's not a player u add to ur team and probably win a title - put him on the Clippers or Heat and they still are behind SA, GS and the Cavs

There's been some seriously dumb stuff in this board, and you didn't raise the bar in that category, but it's up there.

Irrelevant? Ridiculous.

44cuse

Knicks411 said:
Have you seen the Cavs rosters from the first run? They won 66 games (10 teams in NBA history have won more) and here are 2-5 in minutes played, after Lebron 2. Mo Williams 3. Andy Varejao 4. Delonte West 5. Daniel Gibson I mean. Honestly, the more I think about it, winning 66 games with that crew may be Lebron's greatest accomplishment in the NBA. If Melo had that kind of supporting cast people would make excuses for him if they won 35 games.

Stop with the facts and actual nba common sense. You know it doesn't work here.

I'm not even half way through this thread yet and I know there's a 75% chance someone has already jumped in to the defend the team you were referencing. How many times has this stupid argument spawned the exact same discussion in the history of this place?

Aaannnnndddd...bring in the litany of people who know nothing about the NBA here and only watch SU.

44cuse

If you took a poll of everyone on this board who doesn't follow the NBA, I bet you at least half would say Melo is a Top 5 player, simply because they love him for 2003.

Yeah...but to be fair I thought NBA Fans was implied

Tony DeFranco said:
I love Melo but at the NBA level he is irrelevant - he's so far behind Durant, Leonard or James - he's not a player u add to ur team and probably win a title - put him on the Clippers or Heat and they still are behind SA, GS and the Cavs

If they called fouls against him properly he'd be scoring champ. He is mugged on the block near every other play.

this is the consensus of many NBA fans (which is a very broad bucket of people).

I think Melo stacks up very well against some of the best at his position in the NBA, including Leonard and George. First of all, it should be mentioned that Melo's been out there twice as long. He was drafted in 03', whereas George was drafted in 2010 and Leonard in 2011.

Melo's consistency is also amazing .. every year over 20 ppg since he was drafted. That's just one of the reasons an NBA team is paying him almost 23M a year. Even though his stats are lower this year (better surrounding cast on the Knicks?), they're still pretty good: 21.1 ppg, 7.8 rpg and 4.2 assists per game.

Leonard's stats are: 20 ppg, 6'5 rpg, and 2.4 assists ... all below Melo's numbers. George is scoring a little more (23.2), but his rebounding (7.1) and assists (4 pg) are not quite as good.

The steven A stuff was hilarious. Its all acting and scripted. The way these guys talk one would think they were discussing AIDS in Africa or the latest terrorist attack. They talk about SPORTS!!! Chill the out. These people act as though they are contributing to the betterment of society like they are Jonas Salk or Louis Pasteur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom