Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

Who is hyping him anymore, really? The guy was awesome, he had 2 major injuries, he's now not awesome.

Bitterness on my end coming out. Just wish we had traded him while the momentum with him was high.

Bitterness on my end coming out. Just wish we had traded him while the momentum with him was high.

Maybe after the WS season? I think they should have traded one of their pitchers after that season. There's just so much attrition with starting pitchers

Agree, especially after the nonsense with Harvey missing that workout before the Los Angeles series.

Maybe after the WS season? I think they should have traded one of their pitchers after that season. There's just so much attrition with starting pitchers

The image of him and TC (who I hate lol) arguing about him going back out to pitch in the 9th of game 5 boils my blood. TC was a coward there. I don't blame MH for wanting the ball there but no way do you let your player tell you how to manage your own game. MH has 1 career complete game. Spineless move by TC

The image of him and TC (who I hate lol) arguing about him going back out to pitch in the 9th of game 5 boils my blood. TC was a coward there. I don't blame MH for wanting the ball there but no way do you let your player tell you how to manage your own game. MH has 1 career complete game. Spineless move by TC

I also hate the job Terry did there, but for a different reason. If the pitcher's got something in the tank (and he's pitched great), send him out there. But whatever you do, don't rile him. Get a guy angry, throw him out of his rhythm, it's going to affect his performance. And it did.

I also hate the job Terry did there, but for a different reason. If the pitcher's got something in the tank (and he's pitched great), send him out there. But whatever you do, don't rile him. Get a guy angry, throw him out of his rhythm, it's going to affect his performance. And it did.

I loved it at the time and it would be hypocritical of me to criticize it now.

I suspect Lugo finishes the year on the DL or in the minors. He got absolutely shelled in his start in spring ball.

Matz also got hit hard in Binghamton but if he's not hurt the Mets have to run him out until he can get his stuff together.

They are in desperate need of starters after Wheeler and deGrom and keep in mind Wheeler is on an innings limit. I really don't see how this ends well for the Mets.

Who is hyping him anymore, really? The guy was awesome, he had 2 major injuries, he's now not awesome.

He's also lost confidence in himself. I'm mixing my comic metaphors here but The Dark Knight looked like Superman when Jimmy Olson isn't there to take away the kryptonite.

Gselman comes back and gives up 3 runs in 6 innings as the Mets build a 5-3 lead. he gave up 6 hits and 1 walk. Not great but not bad. Salas comes in for the 7th and leads the bases with 2 out. Collins takes him out and brings in Ramirez, a guy they got off of waivers, presumably because he's a righty and the batter is, too. Ron Darling and Gary Cohen note that Ramirez's rep is that he's wild, not the sort of guy you really want in there with the bases loaded. He throws two pitches- one way out of the strike zone and the scored over the center of the plate. The hitter lines it off the top of the fence. Two runs score to tie it and Collins yanks Ramirez, bringing in Edgin to face a lefty. He gets the out that keeps it tied. Collins then replaces him with Smoker, who gives up an upper deck home run on his first pitch of the 8th inning.

Ron Darling, who normally avoids second guessing the manager, wonders out loud: "Why not leave Gselman, who was pitching well in the game to start the 7th? Why not leave Edgin in when he looked good getting that one out?"

Of course, it's not that simple. Gselman is coming off a demotion to the bullpen and hadn't started in a while. You don't know what Edgin would have done. Collins just wanted him to face a left-hander.

But you wonder if it isn't that complicated, either. If a guy's not pitching well, why not keep going with him instead of seeing what the next guy's got?

I am not sure why you would pull Gsellman after just 84 pitches. Terry gonna Terry.

...If a guy's not pitching well, why not keep going with him instead of seeing what the next guy's got?

It all boils down to this, as far as I'm concerned.

Micromanaging pitchers is the height of stupidity. I'm glad Ron's getting more vocal with the criticism.

Gselman comes back and gives up 3 runs in 6 innings as the Mets build a 5-3 lead. he gave up 6 hits and 1 walk. Not great but not bad. Salas comes in for the 7th and leads the bases with 2 out. Collins takes him out and brings in Ramirez, a guy they got off of waivers, presumably because he's a righty and the batter is, too. Ron Darling and Gary Cohen note that Ramirez's rep is that he's wild, not the sort of guy you really want in there with the bases loaded. He throws two pitches- one way out of the strike zone and the scored over the center of the plate. The hitter lines it off the top of the fence. Two runs score to tie it and Collins yanks Ramirez, bringing in Edgin to face a lefty. He gets the out that keeps it tied. Collins then replaces him with Smoker, who gives up an upper deck home run on his first pitch of the 8th inning.

Ron Darling, who normally avoids second guessing the manager, wonders out loud: "Why not leave Gselman, who was pitching well in the game to start the 7th? Why not leave Edgin in when he looked good getting that one out?"

Of course, it's not that simple. Gselman is coming off a demotion to the bullpen and hadn't started in a while. You don't know what Edgin would have done. Collins just wanted him to face a left-hander.

But you wonder if it isn't that complicated, either. If a guy's not pitching well, why not keep going with him instead of seeing what the next guy's got?

Last line should read: "If a guy's pitching well..." :oops::rolleyes:

I dont think there is any right answer with this staff.. he has tried to get an extra inning from the starters and its blown up, he has tried to get an extra batter with the reliever and its blown up.. for the most part they trust 3 guys and the rest you get what you get.. they need starters to get 6-7 instead of 4-5 and hoping for a 6th very night.

salas and Smoker look great one day and awful the next, robles has lost it, they need to find 1 more arm they trust so they stop losing games they lead 5-1 or 7-1.. getting a starter back would help and move gesellman? to the back end where i think he can be OK..

Can we stop pitching Montero, the guy blows.

Is there a reason Montero was pitching tonight? Am I correct to assume Collins thought the game would be rained out before the 5th and didn't want to waste deGrom? As usual, whatever he does backfires.

Is there a reason Montero was pitching tonight? Am I correct to assume Collins thought the game would be rained out before the 5th and didn't want to waste deGrom? As usual, whatever he does backfires.

I think it was because of the rain, and not wanting to risk losing degrom if it was a rain shortened start, but I am tired of Montero, call up anyone else, the guy is awful.

hey they win both games if they just scores some runs. they had lead off guys on 2nd like 7-8 times the last 2 games without scoring..

hey they win both games if they just scores some runs. they had lead off guys on 2nd like 7-8 times the last 2 games without scoring..
They had the base loaded in the bottom of the 9th with no outs down one run. In true Mets fashion they couldn't even plate one run. I can't rip the offense too much since it has been one of the best in baseball in May but the Mets are going to Met.

I give this group till August 1st to shape up... then its time to play for the future: Cespedes, Nimmo, Conforto, Flores, Rivera, Rosario, Smith, D'arnaud.

Bruce, Walker, Duda, Reyes, Grandy are all going to be gone next year so there is no point in continuing to run them out there in a lost season. Cabrera is signed through next year so they probably will need to find time for him... maybe Rivera and Flores platoon and Cabrera can own 2nd.

if walker was the 6-7-8 guy he would be fine at 2nd.. when he is the 3-4-5 guy you are in trouble.. bring up the kid SS move carbrara around but they need to fix the 1st base issue, i would be fine with just leaving flores at 1st, he at least hits lefties and is doing ok against righties now.

if walker was the 6-7-8 guy he would be fine at 2nd.. when he is the 3-4-5 guy you are in trouble.. bring up the kid SS move carbrara around but they need to fix the 1st base issue, i would be fine with just leaving flores at 1st, he at least hits lefties and is doing ok against righties now.
But why not bring up Smith? If he's the 1b of future and in play for next season why not let him get used to the bigs this year?

This has been a miserable season. From the injuries, to Familia putting the bullpen in a jam early with his suspension and now injury to the poor management. Things are starting to heat up on Terry Collins, but who do you bring in if you fire him? He wasn't coming back next season anyway.

But why not bring up Smith? If he's the 1b of future and in play for next season why not let him get used to the bigs this year?

Bring him up if there's no shot at the Wild Card and they're still under .500 in late August. The season will have been decided by then.

Can we stop pitching Montero, the guy blows.

Agreed. Montero has had multiple seasons to show he could stick in the majors and has blown it every single time. AA ball isn't MLB ball. Neil Ramirez also stinks and should be DFA'd.

Collins is just a poor tactician and always will be. Old dogs don't learn new tricks. In a game they were winning 9-3 (?), he wasted Jerry Blevins. He could have thrown Ramirez out there, but of course he almost blew the lead against the Angels and forced Collins to waste to Reed so in some ways he's not working with much. It doesn't help that Salas has been absolutely brutal this season.

This has been a miserable season. From the injuries, to Familia putting the bullpen in a jam early with his suspension and now injury to the poor management. Things are starting to heat up on Terry Collins, but who do you bring in if you fire him? He wasn't coming back next season anyway.

Bring him up if there's no shot at the Wild Card and they're still under .500 in late August. The season will have been decided by then.

Agreed. Montero has had multiple seasons to show he could stick in the majors and has blown it every single time. AA ball isn't MLB ball. Neil Ramirez also stinks and should be DFA'd.

Collins is just a poor tactician and always will be. Old dogs don't learn new tricks. In a game they were winning 9-3 (?), he wasted Jerry Blevins. He could have thrown Ramirez out there, but of course he almost blew the lead against the Angels and forced Collins to waste to Reed so in some ways he's not working with much. It doesn't help that Salas has been absolutely brutal this season.

Which is probably in part related to Collins running Salas into the ground the first few weeks of the season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom