Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

upload_2017-6-4_15-57-16.jpeg

Fortunately, I took a nap rather than watch today's game. I see our starting pitcher was someone named "Tyler Pill". Actually, he wasn't terrible. He got 15 guys out and gave up 8 base runners. But 5 of them scored, two because of Conforto's errors. Then Edgin gave up one run, Ramirez two and Smoker a three run jack. Meanwhile the batting order plated 1 of 10 baserunners, the third time we've scored a single run in the alst 5 games. (We scored 2 in another game and lost the other 7-12.) Oh Lord

Last edited:
right now, DLsbury for Harvey...we pay half his salary.

Harvey tanks again...its straight up.

your call...

Yesterday was SU day at Citi Field. I had the pleasure of going to yesterday's game and sitting in the rain only for them to get smacked 11-1. Good times.

Mets fans Thor is getting healthy he should be back right around the AS break.

Washington series is the nail in the coffin for the season. This year the pitching has been horrid, but the offense is clicking. The Mets can never get both at the right time.

Washington series is the nail in the coffin for the season. This year the pitching has been horrid, but the offense is clicking. The Mets can never get both at the right time.

I'd say the coffin has been shut and sealed for a while now. They are 12.5 games behind Washington and 9 games out of the second wildcard spot. Even if Cespedes returns and some of the pitchers get healthy, I don't see how they make up that deficit. The teams they are trying to catch would need to implode. Don't see it happening.

Duda, Bruce, Walker and Cabrera will all be made available at the deadline. This is a lost season, those guys ere are all superfluous going forward and while nobody is likely to give up A prospects for them, they could garner a haul of B+ prospects to restock the farm system.

might as well put in innings limits on DeGrom, Harvey & Wheeler and play for next year

The frustrating thing is that the Mets and the Yankees have had alternate periods of relevance, (I won't use the word "dominance" for the Mets), in New York since they were have co-existed. I feel that we've been cheated out of our last two turns, to some extent.

When the Mets were formed, they were the worst expansion team ever because the other clubs withheld anyone who was any good and not washed up. the Yankees were in the last great stretch of their golden era. Then the Yankees collapsed while the Mets got better and broke through to win the series in 1969. The Mets were the better team through the mid 70's, eventhough they couldn't win another title. Then they declined due to Donald Grant's penny-pinching while the Yankees were resurrected by George Steinbrenner, who had deep pockets and wanted to win.

The Yankees had another good stretch from 1976-81 but then faded while the Mets got new ownership and new leadership in Frank Cashen. He built a highly productive farm system and set the Mets up for 1984-90 when they averaged 95 wins a year- 8 more than any other major league franchise. They got a second title and were contenders every year. Then things fell apart, just at the point all that young talent should have been in it's prime, for various reason including substance abuse. The Yankees came roaring back and had the greatest era of modern baseball, using players from their own productive farm system sprinkled with some ex-Mets. The Mets had a min i-comeback and actually got to play the Yankees in the World Series but were no match for them.

The Yankees eventually faded from dominance to mere contention while the Mets rebuilt themselves into the best team in the National League. But they got knocked off by a Cardinal team that had a mediocre record that season in 2006 playoffs. Then they got caught by the Phillies down the stretch two years in a row. Then they were ripped apart by injuries, (the most injured team sine the 1953 Cincinnati Reds, by one accounting) and Bernie Madoff made off with the Wilpon's money. Meanwhile the Yankees won a one-off championship the same eyar the Mets had all those injuries. it was supposed to be our time, not heirs.

Sandy Alderson miraculously rebuilt the team with young arms and the Mets had the vision of throwing Matt Harvey, Zach Wheeler, Jacob Degrom, Noah Syndergaard and Steven Matz, one after another at the opposition. We got to a World Series and lsot but it seemed it was time for the Mets to be up and the Yankees down again. But the Mets have never been able to start those five guys in a row and again being crushed by injuries. meanwhile the Yankees seem to be full of young stars. This morning, on Bud and the Manchild, they talked about how the Yankeess are on the verge of another dynasty.

Once again, it seems that we aren't getting our turn. :mad:

Last edited:
Harvey is a complete disaster, now that Lugo and Matz are back can we send this guy down already?

Harvey is a complete disaster, now that Lugo and Matz are back can we send this guy down already?
It's really sad that he's gone from a top 3 pitcher in baseball to whatever this is right now in 4 short injury riddle years. Both Matt and the Mets would be better served if Harvey spent some time in the minors trying to figure out who or what he is now. At the very least they need to rejigger the order so that Wheeler/Harvey/Gsellman aren't right next to each other in the order as their short starts in consecutive order are killing the pen.

Having said all that the Mets are only 8 games back going into a 4 game series with the Nats. Needless to say these next 4 could make or break the season... win the series and things start to tighten up... lose the series and the bottom could fall out.

Mets absolutely need to take 3 of 4. A cherry on top would be a sweep. Gio at Citi has unreal numbers, so him and Scherzer back to back nights could be a daunting task. Nationals are trending in the wrong direction right now. If the Mets are going to pounce on them and get back into the division race, now is the time.

It's really sad that he's gone from a top 3 pitcher in baseball to whatever this is right now in 4 short injury riddle years. Both Matt and the Mets would be better served if Harvey spent some time in the minors trying to figure out who or what he is now. At the very least they need to rejigger the order so that Wheeler/Harvey/Gsellman aren't right next to each other in the order as their short starts in consecutive order are killing the pen.

Having said all that the Mets are only 8 games back going into a 4 game series with the Nats. Needless to say these next 4 could make or break the season... win the series and things start to tighten up... lose the series and the bottom could fall out.

Harvey has a "tired arm", which may mean that the Mets are tired of his arm.

Ive never seen a team have more injuries in all my life of watching sports, its incredible what has gone on over the last 3 years.

So that was fun... Nats dominated the Mets and Murph continued his one man wrecking crew operation of the Mets. Letting him walk will go down as Alderson's worst move.

Dodgers will probably sweep the Mets given that the only pitcher who can get a win these days is deGrom.

This season is over. The pitchers and hitters are all way too inconsistent. Hopefully Alderson realizes this and starts playing for next year but given that Rosario still can't get a cup of coffee because they don't want to disrupt a 35 year old Reyes I don't think that will happen.

Only the Mets could hit 4 hrs against Kershaw and still find a way to lose.

Well, the Mets gave up 15 home runs in four games, (most belt high and over the plate) and got out-scored 11-36 and they are reduced to complaining about styling.

I still wonder why anybody thought Dan Warthen was any kind of pitching coach. He guys keep winding up on the DL and the team has a staff ERA of 5.06 when pitching was supposed to be the strength of the team. That's 29th out of 30 teams, (the Reds are 5.08. The 1962 Mets were 5.04.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom