Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

Here's what I would do to fix this team in four moves.

1.) Sign Mike Moustakas and tell David Wright to retire. Thus we obtain a middle of the order bat and fix our problem at 3B, in one move.
2.) Sign 2 of this group to eat innings behind Thor, deGrom, and which ever combination of Matz, Harvey, and Wheeler doesn't completely suck ass. (Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb, Estrada, Tillman).
3.) Trade Nimmo and spare parts for a decent pen arm. Lagares can hold down CF by himself. You also know they're going to bring back Aoki on the cheap, which is fine if Conforto misses time to start the season. He's a good 4th OF on a competing team.
4.) Sign Joe McEwing as manager.

I think I'm in on the Moose plan. Not sure you can get David to retire, but insurance is picking up a lot of the salary.

Estrada just signed yesterday, fwiw. Arrieta is going to get a ton of money. I could def see them signing Lynn or Cobb. I doubt they sign 2 starters, but one is the absolute minimum.

I kinda like Nimmo now, maybe I'm talking myself into him. The bullpen has to be upgraded though.

We don't know for sure when Conforto is even gonna be back, right?

I think I'm in on the Moose plan. Not sure you can get David to retire, but insurance is picking up a lot of the salary.

Estrada just signed yesterday, fwiw. Arrieta is going to get a ton of money. I could def see them signing Lynn or Cobb. I doubt they sign 2 starters, but one is the absolute minimum.

I kinda like Nimmo now, maybe I'm talking myself into him. The bullpen has to be upgraded though.

We don't know for sure when Conforto is even gonna be back, right?

Moose is a MUST. We need another bat in the lineup, and it solves two problems at once. Signing Lynn should be a priority. Ramos is not an upgrade over Reed in the pen. Blevins is back, good, but Robles has been garbage. We need to get at least one more decent pen arm if the plan is to just sift through the AA pen filler we got this year.

Conforto should be back some time next season. Unfortunately we won't know whether that's in spring training, or by Memorial Day. I read that these types of injuries need between 6-12 months to heal, depending on how the surgery goes. I'm hoping he'll be back sometime in May. We can play a man down in the OF until then if need be. Either bring back Aoki and use Nimmo for trade bait, or keep Nimmo and find a trade chip somewhere else. TJ Rivera? Flores? Both of them could be big parts to next year's team. I really like Flores and until he destroyed his face with a foul ball, was actually starting to hit BOTH lefties and righties. I'd put him at second and stay the hell away from Reyes and Cabrera. Flores at second with TJ as backup wouldn't be the worst thing. I'm in the camp of giving Flores 500 ABs to see what he can di.

Moose is a MUST. We need another bat in the lineup, and it solves two problems at once. Signing Lynn should be a priority. Ramos is not an upgrade over Reed in the pen. Blevins is back, good, but Robles has been garbage. We need to get at least one more decent pen arm if the plan is to just sift through the AA pen filler we got this year.

Conforto should be back some time next season. Unfortunately we won't know whether that's in spring training, or by Memorial Day. I read that these types of injuries need between 6-12 months to heal, depending on how the surgery goes. I'm hoping he'll be back sometime in May. We can play a man down in the OF until then if need be. Either bring back Aoki and use Nimmo for trade bait, or keep Nimmo and find a trade chip somewhere else. TJ Rivera? Flores? Both of them could be big parts to next year's team. I really like Flores and until he destroyed his face with a foul ball, was actually starting to hit BOTH lefties and righties. I'd put him at second and stay the hell away from Reyes and Cabrera. Flores at second with TJ as backup wouldn't be the worst thing. I'm in the camp of giving Flores 500 ABs to see what he can di.

The Conforto thing is such a killer. He was so great this year. Cespedes and Conforto is a hell of a start to a lineup.

Agree on Flores. I've been lukewarm on him in the past, due to platoon splits, but he deserves an every day role. (TJ Rivera had Tommy John, not sure when he is expected back)

The Conforto thing is such a killer. He was so great this year. Cespedes and Conforto is a hell of a start to a lineup.

Agree on Flores. I've been lukewarm on him in the past, due to platoon splits, but he deserves an every day role. (TJ Rivera had Tommy John, not sure when he is expected back)

Conforto was arguably the best hitter all season and should have been our all-star over Bruce. I watched his injury live as it happened on TV, and it was such a fluke/weird injury. Here's hoping he'll be back sometime early next season. I love him and Cespedes but Cespedes needs to stay on the field. Where do you see d'Arnaud fitting in? And are you a fan of either Reyes or Cabrera? I would NOT bring back Cabrera for the crap he pulled this year, but I'd give Reyes maybe 300 ABs next year, but NO more. He's not an everyday player anymore, despite the hot second half.

Conforto was arguably the best hitter all season and should have been our all-star over Bruce. I watched his injury live as it happened on TV, and it was such a fluke/weird injury. Here's hoping he'll be back sometime early next season. I love him and Cespedes but Cespedes needs to stay on the field. Where do you see d'Arnaud fitting in? And are you a fan of either Reyes or Cabrera? I would NOT bring back Cabrera for the crap he pulled this year, but I'd give Reyes maybe 300 ABs next year, but NO more. He's not an everyday player anymore, despite the hot second half.

D'Arnaud; I don't know. He's been so underwhelming since his big 2015 season. I'm about ready to pull the plug, but A) he's probably gonne be cheapish, and B) catchers in general suck. So I'm sure he's back next year.

I'm biased against Jose because of the incident with his wife. I agree they need to pick between Cabrera and Reyes, I think I would take Cabrera.

You're so right about Yo; they need 140 games from him next year.

Here's what I would do to fix this team in four moves.

1.) Sign Mike Moustakas and tell David Wright to retire. Thus we obtain a middle of the order bat and fix our problem at 3B, in one move.
2.) Sign 2 of this group to eat innings behind Thor, deGrom, and which ever combination of Matz, Harvey, and Wheeler doesn't completely suck ass. (Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb, Estrada, Tillman).
3.) Trade Nimmo and spare parts for a decent pen arm. Lagares can hold down CF by himself. You also know they're going to bring back Aoki on the cheap, which is fine if Conforto misses time to start the season. He's a good 4th OF on a competing team.
4.) Sign Joe McEwing as manager.

Lineup:
Rosario
Conforto
Moustakas
Cespedes
Smith
Cabrera
Lagares
d'Arnaud

Rotation:
Thor
deGrom
Lynn
Tillman
Matz/Harvey/Lugo/Wheeler

Bullpen:
Gsellman
Smoker
Guy #1 acquired in trade/salary dump this year
Decent pen arm acquired in Nimmo trade
Blevens
Ramos
Familia

That's actually a pretty good lineup. But of course, none of these moves will even happen.

I do not like the thought of them signing Arietta. I'm also not sold on Smith at 1st yet and no thanks on Mosutakas. I don't think you are getting much in return for Nimmo but may be wrong. I'm fine going with Reyes/Cabrera combo at at 2nd and 3rd. Rosario at short

Rotation:
Thor
DeGrom
Lugo
Matz
Gsellman
Wheeler

BP looks fine above

Field:
1b-FA signing/Smith combo
2nd-Reyes
ss-Rosario
3rd-Cabrera/FA
C-D'arnaud/Plawecki
LF-Cespedes
CF-Lagares
RF-Conforto

I fully expect the Mets to go cheap and bargain hunting in the FA pool.

D'Arnaud; I don't know. He's been so underwhelming since his big 2015 season. I'm about ready to pull the plug, but A) he's probably gonne be cheapish, and B) catchers in general suck. So I'm sure he's back next year.

I'm biased against Jose because of the incident with his wife. I agree they need to pick between Cabrera and Reyes, I think I would take Cabrera.

You're so right about Yo; they need 140 games from him next year.

Ive seen enough of Darnaud, the guy stinks, we need an upgrade at Catcher.

Ive seen enough of Darnaud, the guy stinks, we need an upgrade at Catcher.
No way he's on team next year.

Harvey, will be.

I can see Reyes at 2nd.

Looks like they think Collins will retire.

I do not like the thought of them signing Arietta. I'm also not sold on Smith at 1st yet and no thanks on Mosutakas. I don't think you are getting much in return for Nimmo but may be wrong. I'm fine going with Reyes/Cabrera combo at at 2nd and 3rd. Rosario at short

Rotation:
Thor
DeGrom
Lugo
Matz
Gsellman
Wheeler

BP looks fine above

Field:
1b-FA signing/Smith combo
2nd-Reyes
ss-Rosario
3rd-Cabrera/FA
C-D'arnaud/Plawecki
LF-Cespedes
CF-Lagares
RF-Conforto

I fully expect the Mets to go cheap and bargain hunting in the FA pool.

Why no on Moose? Because he beat us in the WS in 15'? Who cares. He's perhaps the best hitting 3B not named Arenado. You're also crazy if you think that we can stand pat with the rotation and not sign a FA SP. Absolutely NUTS.

Signing a FA SP is an essential priority. Two would be even better. Everyone hates Smith, I don't get it. He'll bat .295, hit 20-25 HRs and hit 40 doubles. He's got gap to gap power and will be pretty good. WHY ON EARTH would you want BOTH Reyes AND Cabrera back next season? Did you watch any games this year? Where is Cabrera supposed to play in the IF? He can barely move anymore, he's so old and slow.

I would be irate if you were the GM and you just stood pat, without signing a big bat, or a FA SP, for essentially the third year in a row. And re-signing Cespedes two offseasons ago doesn't count because he was already with the team that season.

No way he's on team next year.

Harvey, will be.

I can see Reyes at 2nd.

Looks like they think Collins will retire.

I'll bet you a pair of Mets tickets that d'Arnaud will be on the team next year. They'll give him one more shot with Plaw as his backup. If he's not hitting, Plaw will take his starting spot.

I'll bet you a pair of Mets tickets that d'Arnaud will be on the team next year. They'll give him one more shot with Plaw as his backup. If he's not hitting, Plaw will take his starting spot.
No.

Because the Mets are dumb enough to do that, is try and trade him while he has a little value.

But I don't know if he's under contract, if not...buh-bye

Why no on Moose? Because he beat us in the WS in 15'? Who cares. He's perhaps the best hitting 3B not named Arenado. You're also crazy if you think that we can stand pat with the rotation and not sign a FA SP. Absolutely NUTS.

Signing a FA SP is an essential priority. Two would be even better. Everyone hates Smith, I don't get it. He'll bat .295, hit 20-25 HRs and hit 40 doubles. He's got gap to gap power and will be pretty good. WHY ON EARTH would you want BOTH Reyes AND Cabrera back next season? Did you watch any games this year? Where is Cabrera supposed to play in the IF? He can barely move anymore, he's so old and slow.

I would be irate if you were the GM and you just stood pat, without signing a big bat, or a FA SP, for essentially the third year in a row. And re-signing Cespedes two offseasons ago doesn't count because he was already with the team that season.
Just not sold on Moose. Rumors I read before were Maybe Machado to the Mets. I'm not saying the Mets should stand pat but the problem is the Wilpons are cheap. They may plug a few holes with 2nd and 3rd tier fa signings but they ain't spending much after the Cespedes contract last offseason.

Thor and Degrom may still be the best 1-2 starters in the NL. I'm excited to see what Rosario does full time. If Familia returns healthy I like the pen with Ramos and Familia as the 8th and 9th inning guys. Blevins has been very good.

I just don't see the Wilpons spending much.

No.

Because the Mets are dumb enough to do that, is try and trade him while he has a little value.

But I don't know if he's under contract, if not...buh-bye
He is a better hitter than Plawecki. I actually liked Rivera better than D'arnaud

Ok I think that's a bit of an oversell.

Major League Leaderboards » 2017 » Third Basemen » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

11th at 3B.

I don't love Dom, he's been kinda underwhelming, but they aren't gonna block him with anyone, so you gotta hope for the best.

Mets-Phillies are playing the 2018 Little League Classic.

It's a Phillies home game.

Mets-Phillies are playing the 2018 Little League Classic.

It's a Phillies home game.

Too fitting, the Mets have been playing like a little league team all year long.

Agree with this. They've got an interesting surprise coming down the pike that'll make a lot of people on this board happy, though. But in general, they've been the common denominator during a lot of down years following apparent breakthroughs.

Bump! Been quietly excited about this for weeks. If this can't save baseball in Syracuse, nothing can.

So how much does each member of the board clear after this?

Bump! Been quietly excited about this for weeks. If this can't save baseball in Syracuse, nothing can.

This is AMAZIN' news! How did you know about this? Are you a big wig?

Let's hope the Wilpons don't take the team away in 2025 when the city's sweetheart deal expires and try to move them to Long Island.

This is AMAZIN' news! How did you know about this? Are you a big wig?

Let's hope the Wilpons don't take the team away in 2025 when the city's sweetheart deal expires and try to move them to Long Island.

Actually, I'm Saul Katz.

That's the one cloud with this silver lining...no longer is there the protection of local ownership. If Syracuse continues to sputter along, there's the possibility that the club will move. Short-term, though, this is awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom