Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

Your GM should've gotten the best prospect you could've gotten for Bruce and disregarded the salary as you guys aren't close to the luxury tax.

Trading Bruce was smart getting no real prospect back and just dumping the salary is the joke.

Wilpon has run the Mets like they are mid major market.

Your GM should've gotten the best prospect you could've gotten for Bruce and disregarded the salary as you guys aren't close to the luxury tax.

Trading Bruce was smart getting no real prospect back and just dumping the salary is the joke.

Wilpon has run the Mets like they are mid major market.

I agree, but the GM isn't running the finances. I'm sure he was told by Fred and Jeff they weren't picking up any salary. Same thing happened with Duda and Reed and it obviously hurt the return in all 3 cases.

The trade market for Bruce wasn't there. They tried to move him before the deadline, there were no takers. Baseball isn't really valuing players like Bruce; there was a pretty lukewarm market for guys like him in the winter. I think that should be the takeaway more than the mets got fleeced on the deal.

I agree, but the GM isn't running the finances. I'm sure he was told by Fred and Jeff they weren't picking up any salary. Same thing happened with Duda and Reed and it obviously hurt the return in all 3 cases.

The trade market for Bruce wasn't there. They tried to move him before the deadline, there were no takers. Baseball isn't really valuing players like Bruce; there was a pretty lukewarm market for guys like him in the winter. I think that should be the takeaway more than the mets got fleeced on the deal.
I bet the Yankees would've given a better prospect than the Indians did if the Mets would've paid Bruce salary. That was the hold up from the Yankees end. They weren't going to give a real prospect and pay Bruce the salary. The Indians agreed to take the whole salary that's part of the reason the Mets made the deal.

Most teams nowadays when they make trades eat the salary of the guy there training so that the team their trading them too will give better prospects.

I bet the Yankees would've given a better prospect than the Indians did if the Mets would've paid Bruce salary. That was the hold up from the Yankees end. They weren't going to give a real prospect and pay Bruce the salary. The Indians agreed to take the whole salary that's part of the reason the Mets made the deal.

Most teams nowadays when they make trades eat the salary of the guy there training so that the team their trading them too will give better prospects.

I wouldn't have traded Bruc to the Yankees, unless you were getting Greybar Torres prospect, after what Murphy and Turner has done, its not worth another headache, if the best you can get is a 30 round pick, you might as well keep him, stop being cheap Coupons and bring him back next year, this entire franchise is a joke.

I wouldn't have traded Bruc to the Yankees, unless you were getting Greybar Torres prospect, after what Murphy and Turner has done, its not worth another headache, if the best you can get is a 30 round pick, you might as well keep him, stop being cheap Coupons and bring him back next year, this entire franchise is a joke.

Well they could still bring him back next year. (And yeah, you aren't getting Gleybar Torres for Jay Bruce.)

I dunno, I think they n eed to move Conforto to RF, so I'm fine with them moving on from Bruce. He's hitting a lot of HR this year, but it's not like he's that good of a player

You got to make trades with any team that will help your own team.
The Red Sox and Yankees made a trade in 1997 that helped the Red Sox acquire Pedro Martinez.
You aren't going to get a legitimate top 10 prospect for Bruce but I think you could've gotten a young 22 or 23 Yeae old prospect for him if the Mets are willing to eat the salary. Not willing to eat the salary restricts what you can get back.

You got to make trades with any team that will help your own team.
The Red Sox and Yankees made a trade in 1997 that helped the Red Sox acquire Pedro Martinez.
You aren't going to get a legitimate top 10 prospect for Bruce but I think you could've gotten a young 22 or 23 Yeae old prospect for him if the Mets are willing to eat the salary. Not willing to eat the salary restricts what you can get back.

Then why am I trading a 30 hr guy if I'm not getting a top 10 prospect, it isn't worth it. The Mets aren't in rebuild mode, this team is not far away.

Then why am I trading a 30 hr guy if I'm not getting a top 10 prospect, it isn't worth it. The Mets aren't in rebuild mode, this team is not far away.
Bruce is a free agent and you're not going to give him a qualifying offer on the guy so getting anything for him is a benefit.

Bruce is a free agent and you're not going to give him a qualifying offer on the guy so getting anything for him is a benefit.

We could have re-signed him, and even if he walked we would have got a 2nd round pick for him, I'm no math major,but isn't a 2nd pick better than a 30th round pick? once again our gm got fleeced.

We could have re-signed him, and even if he walked we would have got a 2nd round pick for him, I'm no math major,but isn't a 2nd pick better than a 30th round pick? once again our gm got fleeced.

It's not quite that simple.

They can still sign him as a free agent. Also, there's no guarantee he doesn't take the qualifying offer. And if he doesn't, they don't get a second round pick exactly, it's after the "competitive balance B" round (I think, it's complicated) So it's probably somewhere in the 70's. Which, granted, is better than what they got, no question.

I think you're faulting the GM when it should be on the owner. And I also think you're overrating Jay Bruce compared to how he is valued throughout baseball.

It's not quite that simple.

They can still sign him as a free agent. Also, there's no guarantee he doesn't take the qualifying offer. And if he doesn't, they don't get a second round pick exactly, it's after the "competitive balance B" round (I think, it's complicated) So it's probably somewhere in the 70's. Which, granted, is better than what they got, no question.

I think you're faulting the GM when it should be on the owner. And I also think you're overrating Jay Bruce compared to how he is valued throughout baseball.

Coming off the year he was having someone was going to make him an offer, they dumped him for nothing.

Coming off the year he was having someone was going to make him an offer, they dumped him for nothing.

Maybe? Mark Trumbo hit 47 homers last year, lead the AL, he got 3/39. Entirely possible Bruce would have taken the QO.

The Yankees weren't giving up great prospects either, so again what is the point of dealing with the headache of him getting big hits for the Yankees and helping them win games?

While you were sleeping...

I think players to be named later should be given a name. How about "Gus". That's a good name. sounds tough and competitive. Curtis Grander was traded for Gus and some $.

163019.jpg

Last edited:
O good more money that the Coupons are going to sit on and not invest in the team.

Aren't the Mets a corporation? And isn't that money the corporations money, not directly the Wilpons? The thing that got me angry about their dealings with Mr. Madoff, (a great name, by the way), was that, if I understood correctly, they signed players to deferred compensation contracts so they wouldn't have to pay them so much now and could take the money they saved and invest it with Madoff. They figured that they would amke more money from Bernie than they'd eventually have to pay the players and thus come out ahead. But wasn't that the Met's money, not specifically theirs? Wouldn't that have been illegal?

Aren't the Mets a corporation? And isn't that money the corporations money, not directly the Wilpons? The thing that got me angry about their dealings with Mr. Madoff, (a great name, by the way), was that, if I understood correctly, they signed players to deferred compensation contracts so they wouldn't have to pay them so much now and could take the money they saved and invest it with Madoff. They figured that they would amke more money from Bernie than they'd eventually have to pay the players and thus come out ahead. But wasn't that the Met's money, not specifically theirs? Wouldn't that have been illegal?

I'm not sure what you mean by corporation. The Wilpons are majority owners of the team. They've taken on some minority investors, but it's not like there's some board they need to answer to.

I'm not sure what you mean by corporation. The Wilpons are majority owners of the team. They've taken on some minority investors, but it's not like there's some board they need to answer to.

Front Office

It's a board they put together. They own the team, they bought it with their money.

Chairman of the Board & Chief Executive Officer
Fred Wilpon

But if it's incorporated, isn't the team a separate legal entity and weren't they obligated to spend the money they saved on deferred contracts to make the team better? Owning the team and being a stockholder in a corporation, 9and they aren't the only stockholders) are two different things. They can pay themselves salaries and issue dividends or sell stock and get money that way. But the money the ballclub saved on deferred compensation should belong to the corporation and the team, shouldn't it?

But if it's incorporated, isn't the team a separate legal entity and weren't they obligated to spend the money they saved on deferred contracts to make the team better? Owning the team and being a stockholder in a corporation, 9and they aren't the only stockholders) are two different things. They can pay themselves salaries and issue dividends or sell stock and get money that way. But the money the ballclub saved on deferred compensation should belong to the corporation and the team, shouldn't it?

I don't think so. It's a private business they own. It's not like it's a publicly traded company.

Bruce, since being acquired from the Mets, is 14-for-36 (.389) with five doubles and three home runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom