Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

And their GM who was all over the news in January/Feb is nowhere to be found. He totally botched the offseason with his trade for Cano and Diaz, signing Familia, signing Lowrie, etc... The Cano contract is going to haunt this franchise for 4 more years.

Now they are going to botch the next few weeks by trading key assets like Wheeler and not getting enough back because they don't want to pay salary.

I'm back to this team will suck until the Wilpons sell and they get real owners willing to rebuild this the right way.

I still say that if everybody just performed to their career norms, we'd have a playoff team. to me the problem is Callaway. He was brought over to get the most out of a talented young pitching staff and he's gotten the least out of them. Judging by the link above, (and the fact that Brodie inherited him), I suspect his tenure is close to ending.

So the second half of the season looks just like the first. The Mets grab a 2-0 lead, give up 8 unanswered runs before getting a two run homer in the 9th and lose to the dreadful Marlins.

BVW was interviewed and praised Callaway for the job he's done "holding the clubhouse together". Keith interpreted it as meaning that Mickey will be the manager the rest of the season but added that "it's what happens between the chalk lines that counts - you've got to win."

So the second half of the season looks just like the first. The Mets grab a 2-0 lead, give up 8 unanswered runs before getting a two run homer in the 9th and lose to the dreadful Marlins.

BVW was interviewed and praised Callaway for the job he's done "holding the clubhouse together". Keith interpreted it as meaning that Mickey will be the manager the rest of the season but added that "it's what happens between the chalk lines that counts - you've got to win."
In baseball more than any other sport regression to the mean means something. Vargas’s mean is pretty bad. Of course this doesn’t explain the fact that just about every other pitcher on the team is performing way below their mean. It’s like they are cursed...

In baseball more than any other sport regression to the mean means something. Vargas’s mean is pretty bad. Of course this doesn’t explain the fact that just about every other pitcher on the team is performing way below their mean. It’s like they are cursed...

Our mean is mean. :(

Welcome to the 2019 Mets, folks, as they were intended to be. Conforto and Cano hit two run shots. Syndergaard strikes out 9, walks none. Lugo and Diaz with goose eggs. Mets win!.

Now do that about 50 more times.

so the Mets lost 3 out of 4 to the giants and trailed for about 3 pitches losing in extra walk off at bats 3 times..

as bad as the season has gone these 3 games are the difference from being like 3 out of the play offs.

so the Mets lost 3 out of 4 to the giants and trailed for about 3 pitches losing in extra walk off at bats 3 times..

as bad as the season has gone these 3 games are the difference from being like 3 out of the play offs.
I'm so sick of Diaz. The guy throws 10 pitches and can't go back out for another inning freaking primadonna.

The Mets are 5-4 since the break and could have been 8-1. As it is they've out-scored the opposition 46-29, thanks to 14 and 11 run outbursts. But then they couldn't by a run in the three losses to the Giants. Still it's nice to see the pitching finally come around. Where was it in the first half?

The Mets are 5-4 since the break and could have been 8-1. As it is they've out-scored the opposition 46-29, thanks to 14 and 11 run outbursts. But then they couldn't by a run in the three losses to the Giants. Still it's nice to see the pitching finally come around. Where was it in the first half?
Could have should have would have. Bad teams find ways to lose games

i was at one of the giants games.. the giants are awful. even in talking with the fans they were amazed they won any of the 3 games let alone 3 of them.. the friday game i was at the Giants hit 3 balls solid the entire game and the mets hit close to a dozen balls on the nose.. it still added up to zero-zero and they lose on a dropped fly ball.

if cespedes was half of what he was they would be 10 games better this year, they could have traded Smith to the AL and would be sitting pretty good right now.. they are not a bad team , they just cant win games.. Cano hitting 50 pts off his worse season is a killer.

So Todd Frazier...Cuse guy or not, this dude's got a screw loose.

Such a Mets situation.

The Mets are just 6 games out of the wild card with two months to go in the season. They are 10-5 since the All-Star break, (which includes those three extra-inning losses in San Francisco). Despite the 9th inning today, the pitching has finally come around. I think we need to stay the course and not hold the garage sale.

Thanks for blocking Stroman to a contender now don’t trade Syndergaard to the Yankees or Astros.

They're setting up a retool for 2020 and should Wheeler be flipped and not resign, they have a capable ML pitcher to replace him who's younger and better at a cheaper rate. I love the deal. Pitching prospects are part of the package and outside of Allan and Woods-Richardson, the Mets don't have much to give up. Maybe Toronto sold him for pennies on the dollar. Not heartbroken over Kay moving if he's included.

with the mets track record why would anyone worry about any prospects they move for established guys.

i dont think Kay was ever going to pan out.. not sure on WR but at best he was 3-4 yrs away. if they can keep thor/wheeler who ever it is and do it for 3-4 yrs they have a rotation for next yr and just need 1-2 arms in the bullpen.

with the mets track record why would anyone worry about any prospects they move for established guys.

i dont think Kay was ever going to pan out.. not sure on WR but at best he was 3-4 yrs away. if they can keep thor/wheeler who ever it is and do it for 3-4 yrs they have a rotation for next yr and just need 1-2 arms in the bullpen.

Well said. Mets Twitter, who lives in perpetual misery, is breaking down over this trade.

Surprising trade by a front office that continues to do unexpected things. Sometimes unexpected and good, sometimes not so much. This is surely being done as a proactive move to backfill the rotation from a trade soon to be made.

Sounds to me as though they decided they needed to either sign Wheeler to a long term contract or trade for another starter before moving a starter. I hope the guy that gets moved is Vargas or Wheeler but know in my heart they are going to trade Thor. It is really strange to replace a strikeout pitcher or two with a ground ball pitcher when you have an historically inept infield defense but that is the Met way.

I hope this means Rosario is getting moved to CF, where there is a chance he might actually be a good defensive player.

It is time to think about the lineup for next year.

LF Cespedes
CF Rosario
RF Conforto
3B Davis
SS Gimenez/Guillomore
2B McNeil
1B Alonso
C Ramos

Hopefully Nimmo will eventually come back and replace Cespedes when he gets hurt again. Dom Smith can fill in at LF and 1B and be a pinch hitter. Frazier needs to become a bench guy next season. Davis is too good to keep on the bench. I hope Gimenez is ready. If not, I think Guillomore will be okay as a stop gap or I guess they could keep Rosario at SS one more year. Cano needs to be released. If he has any pride, he will fake his death and live a life of seclusion on a remote beach somewhere in South America.

With Nimmo set to replace Cespedes soon, the day to day lineup is filled with very good young players everywhere except at catcher. For that reason, I am hoping when a starting pitcher is moved, a top notch young catcher is part of the deal. Hopefully one who has no injury history.

If Manny Margot is the centerpiece of a Syndergaard trade your GM should be fired immediately.

I dunno. They 'bought high' on Stroman, and have him for only a year and a half unless they reup him. Are the Mets in a 'win now' mode over this season and next? Sure it's easy to rationalize trading off two of your better prospects, but those are two prospects who won't be available for other packages. It's not as if the Mets' system is star-studded. Are they now gonna 'sell low' on Thor? He hasn't been Thor this year, and I wonder if they can get back the type of package they gave up for Stroman. Not to mention you've essentially dealt Thor for Stroman, so how much have you really improved?

Surprising trade by a front office that continues to do unexpected things. Sometimes unexpected and good, sometimes not so much. This is surely being done as a proactive move to backfill the rotation from a trade soon to be made.

Sounds to me as though they decided they needed to either sign Wheeler to a long term contract or trade for another starter before moving a starter. I hope the guy that gets moved is Vargas or Wheeler but know in my heart they are going to trade Thor. It is really strange to replace a strikeout pitcher or two with a ground ball pitcher when you have an historically inept infield defense but that is the Met way.

I hope this means Rosario is getting moved to CF, where there is a chance he might actually be a good defensive player.

It is time to think about the lineup for next year.

LF Cespedes
CF Rosario
RF Conforto
3B Davis
SS Gimenez/Guillomore
2B McNeil
1B Alonso
C Ramos

Hopefully Nimmo will eventually come back and replace Cespedes when he gets hurt again. Dom Smith can fill in at LF and 1B and be a pinch hitter. Frazier needs to become a bench guy next season. Davis is too good to keep on the bench. I hope Gimenez is ready. If not, I think Guillomore will be okay as a stop gap or I guess they could keep Rosario at SS one more year. Cano needs to be released. If he has any pride, he will fake his death and live a life of seclusion on a remote beach somewhere in South America.

With Nimmo set to replace Cespedes soon, the day to day lineup is filled with very good young players everywhere except at catcher. For that reason, I am hoping when a starting pitcher is moved, a top notch young catcher is part of the deal. Hopefully one who has no injury history.

Yasmani Grandal will be a FA after this season and was close to signing with the Mets. He isn't opposed to negotiating with them.

being a top 10 mets prospect has shown to be lately not that good a prospect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom