Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

How the Mets could've handled their latest fiasco better

"Maybe you want to drill this down a little further. Maybe you want to understand why a manager might be so put off by the phrase “see you tomorrow”—so keyed into the idea that he might not be there tomorrow, or, as one beat reporter guessed, perhaps even so ready to take a shot at ensuring that he wouldn’t be there tomorrow—or why tempers might be running so high after a loss—a loss with baffling relief management, like so many of this team’s losses—or why this might not even have felt like the club’s most dramatic move this week—after all, it happened only three days after the pitching coach was fired in order to promote an 82-year-old and the bullpen coach was fired in order to promote the man who’d been demoted from the same position last year. But understanding any of this would require understanding the fundamental spirit of the Wilpons’ Mets, a franchise operating in a space so absurd that it is consistently out beyond the reach of either comedy or tragedy, a franchise whose mismanagement has made the team’s name into a verb and an adjective and a hashtag, none of them remotely flattering. It would require understanding something which isn’t meant to be understood. It’s meant to be felt, though preferably only with the benefit of local anesthesia."

Lol it's become comical how bad they are. I am actually laughing.

I've given up watching. It's sad. I try to get numb to it but nobody's that numb.

Next comes the garage sale. we're out of it so does anybody want our players? That's one thing i hate about baseball. In other sports you hold onto your players and keep trying to the end, (unless you're tanking for the #1 draft choice).

I've given up watching. It's sad. I try to get numb to it but nobody's that numb.

Next comes the garage sale. we're out of it so does anybody want our players? That's one thing i hate about baseball. In other sports you hold onto your players and keep trying to the end, (unless you're tanking for the #1 draft choice).
I mean who do we even have to trade wheeler Frazier perhaps thor.

Update:

These are the ERAs of the pitchers the Mets have used in relief this year. The first figure is their career ERA coming into the season, the second their ERA this season. The guys who have performed at or better than their career norms are in bold.

O'Rourke 4.98 - 0.00 = 4.98 (pitched 1.1 inning: sent down 6/26)
Flexen 8.45 - 5.68 = -2.77 (12.2 IP)
Pounders 8.92 - 7.50 = -1.42 (6.0 IP)
Sewald 5.25 - 3.86 = -1.39 (14.0 IP sent down 5/26)
Font 6.32 - 4.94 = -1.38 (23.2 IP acquired 5/7)
Peterson 6.18 - 4.91 = -1.27 (7.1 IP sent down 6/15)
Lugo 3.67 - 3.29 = -0.38 (38.1 IP)

Gsellman 4.38 - 4.57 = +0.19
Bashlor 4.22 - 5.40 = +1.18
Wilson 3.33 - 4.82 = +1.49
Rhame 6.53 - 8.10 = +1.57
Diaz 2.64 - 4.94 = +2.30
Gagnon 5.25 - 7.65 = +2.40
Zamora 3.00 - 5.68 = +2.68
Santiago 4.05 - 6.75 = +2.70
Familia 2.73 - 7.81 = +5.08
Avilan 3.09 - 9.28 - +6.19
Oswalt 5.85 - 12.15 = +6.30
Nogosek 0.00 - 9.82 = +9.82 (rookie)

Last edited:
I give up. I didn't bother watching yesterday's game and the same thing still happened. Sandy for years neglected the pen and BVW continued what he did. The unit literally changed the course of the season. If they had a decent pen, they're in first right now.

I give up. I didn't bother watching yesterday's game and the same thing still happened. Sandy for years neglected the pen and BVW continued what he did. The unit literally changed the course of the season. If they had a decent pen, they're in first right now.

To me it's still on Callaway. he was given enough talent to contend with. But the pitching staff, supposedly Mickey's specialty, has fallen apart. He's not Brody's hire and he would probably like someone of his own choice in there.

To me it's still on Callaway. he was given enough talent to contend with. But the pitching staff, supposedly Mickey's specialty, has fallen apart. He's not Brody's hire and he would probably like someone of his own choice in there.

There's literally no one to go to. They shouldn't have to be up by six or more to breathe a sigh of relief.

There's literally no one to go to. They shouldn't have to be up by six or more to breathe a sigh of relief.

There's no one good to go to. Familia melted down. Diaz has lost whatever he had. Gselman has been mediocre at best. Lugo has been good but overworked. How often do you use more than your top four relievers?

Seven straight losses is a wonderful lead-in to a celebration of the '69 team. :mad:

Last edited:
In the 7 straight losses, the Mets have given up 41 runs. 18 of them have been given up by the starting pitchers . 23 of them have been given up by the bullpen.

Last edited:
its almost hard to fathom that during this streak against braves/cubs/phillies they should probably be 8-1 instead of 0-9.

its one thing to blow saves, but still everything from the 7th inning on the other team hits ends up being bad and things like the other night where McNiel hits a rope that hits the top pipe of the wall and they lose.

Washington turned it around in 1 month so who knows.. at least this year they score some runs.

its almost hard to fathom that during this streak against braves/cubs/phillies they should probably be 8-1 instead of 0-9.

its one thing to blow saves, but still everything from the 7th inning on the other team hits ends up being bad and things like the other night where McNiel hits a rope that hits the top pipe of the wall and they lose.

Washington turned it around in 1 month so who knows.. at least this year they score some runs.

One of the problems was that when the other team took the lead, the met's didn't respond with a rally of their own. Tonight, they did. Early in the season they were leading the lead in late inning comebacks. they need to get back to that. And those relievers couldn't be as bad as they have been. No one could.

If anyone cares anymore...the Mets Bullpen has given up 35 earned runs in their last 35 innings...Jacob DeGrom has a 2.14 ERA in his last 46 started and the Mets are 16-30 in those games.

If anyone cares anymore...the Mets Bullpen has given up 35 earned runs in their last 35 innings...Jacob DeGrom has a 2.14 ERA in his last 46 started and the Mets are 16-30 in those games.
And their GM who was all over the news in January/Feb is nowhere to be found. He totally botched the offseason with his trade for Cano and Diaz, signing Familia, signing Lowrie, etc... The Cano contract is going to haunt this franchise for 4 more years.

Now they are going to botch the next few weeks by trading key assets like Wheeler and not getting enough back because they don't want to pay salary.

I'm back to this team will suck until the Wilpons sell and they get real owners willing to rebuild this the right way.

And their GM who was all over the news in January/Feb is nowhere to be found. He totally botched the offseason with his trade for Cano and Diaz, signing Familia, signing Lowrie, etc... The Cano contract is going to haunt this franchise for 4 more years.

Now they are going to botch the next few weeks by trading key assets like Wheeler and not getting enough back because they don't want to pay salary.

I'm back to this team will suck until the Wilpons sell and they get real owners willing to rebuild this the right way.
That deal is going to screw us over for years esp if kelenic and Dunn pan out. I thought Cano at least had one good year in him.

That deal is going to screw us over for years esp if kelenic and Dunn pan out. I thought Cano at least had one good year in him.
Agreed on Cano. I am surprised he fell off the cliff so abruptly. But when you are signing players at his age with a history of PEDs you are playing with fire. Díaz is another example of why you don’t play closers huge money because they are so volatile year over year.

Fcuk Brodie and the Wilpons.

Agreed on Cano. I am surprised he fell off the cliff so abruptly. But when you are signing players at his age with a history of PEDs you are playing with fire. Díaz is another example of why you don’t play closers huge money because they are so volatile year over year.

I hated the deal I wanted to keep McNeil at 2nd and bring in guys like Zach Britton or andrew Miller.

The Cano trade has to be the worst in the history of organized sports. Only the Wilpon’s are bigger morons than the idiot agent they hired to pretend to be a GM.

Please release Cano during the game today. If he has to play, bat him ninth. He is such an immensely awful player and he has to be hurting this tram more than any starter has ever hurt any team in any sport in any galaxy at any time. If he had any integrity, he would retire in the third inning and spend the rest of rest life in a monastery in Tibet, praying for forgiveness for his alledged play in 2019.

The only player that might be worse than him is Diaz, who has been awful as well. We traded great prospects for the worst contract in baseball, and two putrid players. At least Diaz appears to have major league talent and will probably start playing like a major leaguer once he is traded to a major league team again.

Ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom